Learner course

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

Learner course

Postby MrWasabi » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:37 pm

I've got a mate who has just done the first day of their learner course and tells me that the day is actually half a day and not the full day I described.

Back when I did my l's I spent 2 full days and on the first day all we got to do was sit on the bikes and start them. Now he tells me that he got to go around in circles in second gear. We didn't do that until half way through the second day.

Wtf are they doing shortening the days and cramming more into less time? The day started at 8 and finished at 11:30, how could that be enough time to practice all that they show you before venturing into the open road?

Another thing he was told that made me laugh was that they make you counter weight against the direction of the bike, so if you turn left your body should go right...did I miss something here?
Mistakes:
Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

http://www.sentechcomputers.com.au
MrWasabi
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Learner course

Postby tim » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:46 pm

The counter weight technique is for slow speed riding only, but something I learnt from Glen, not in the l's course.

I agree the 2 full days were great, and made for a very good learning experience!
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Re: Learner course

Postby smithy5 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:53 pm

Maybe just preparation for the cones they require in the "p"s Test
see here.... http://www.ksrc-au.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=35447
2013 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 Storm
Suzuki 1300 LillBusa Ute
Serviced by Allfixed Automotive Castle Hill PH: (02) 9634 1455
SRT Survivor & Oficial Photographer
smithy5
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Scooter

Postby StuMiller » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:53 pm

When I did my HART course many moons ago, I'm pretty sure I did two full days of cruising around the Colchester Road, Kilsyth testing centre on the CB250.

Can't remember riding around in circles but I do remember having to ride as slow as you can between two lines....practicing the balancing of the bike.

Good fun couple of days.
2007 ZX6 - Road bike
StuMiller
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

State: Tasmania

Postby damotm » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:45 pm

MrWasabi wrote:
Another thing he was told that made me laugh was that they make you counter weight against the direction of the bike, so if you turn left your body should go right...did I miss something here?

yeh they also teach the "to turn left - push on the left bar" idea, :? which took me a while to get my head around
Honda XR75 :), KX80 D2, GPZ1100 B1, Aprilia RS125, Honda VT750, Restored GPz 750, Harley FXDX, Harley Street Bob
damotm
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: GPz750
State: Queensland

Postby Glen » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:48 pm

Youre on drugs Owen (and Tim). The learner course has always been two half days. Day one gets you to going around changing gears, day 2 from Slow riding to braking. Been like that from 1986 and the training provider aint allowed to vary (even HART)

The P's course is a full day
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby h.b.bear » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:18 pm

Did mine 5 months ago after 25yrs on the side line :( and Glen you are totally correct there is 2 half days,you can have the option of doing the morning course or the afternoon course 8)
h.b.bear
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZRX

Postby MrWasabi » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:27 pm

Maybe I'm going senile...i could swear that I did 2 full days...first day we got someone to push us around because we couldn't start the bikes till the end of the day. Then day 2 we practised gear changes... I'm not arguing your point Glen, I know you did this for a living, I'm just confused now :?
Mistakes:
Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

http://www.sentechcomputers.com.au
MrWasabi
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Postby Trox » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:57 pm

I did my L's 3 months ago (Just got my P's) and yes it's 2 half days and we did basically start pusing the bike b4 starting the motor and all of it at slow speed and we didn't get out of second gear (and not out of first until maybe late in the first day, maybe?)

I felt the length and content of the course gave me enough to ride on the road but the instructor is the one who needs to make that call and as to whether you are competent or not at the end of the 2 (half) days.

I believe my course was just fine but also believe that there was at least one person in the course that shouldn't have been given a license to go out on the road without further training or practice in a controlled environment.
Counter weight was not in my course.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think the course is okay (there can always be continuous improvement) but there needs to be better methods for determining whether a person is competent or not and a path for these people (after all we don't want to deny anyone from being a fellow rider :) )
Road; 08 Z750
Track; 02 ZX6
Trox
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Z750

Postby Trox » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:07 pm

oh BTW im not trying to disagree with anyone, thats just how i felt about my course, u guys that are more expeienced could have a better view of what the course should entail
Road; 08 Z750
Track; 02 ZX6
Trox
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Z750

Postby tim » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:24 am

Yep just read through my learner course thread. I was still at home at 11am on day 2 so it was a half-day. Also at the end of day one we were riding around the loop in 2nd.

Power of suggestion on the human mind aye... ;)
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby dilligaf » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:41 am

StuMiller wrote:When I did my HART course many moons ago, I'm pretty sure I did two full days of cruising around the Colchester Road, Kilsyth testing centre on the CB250.

Can't remember riding around in circles but I do remember having to ride as slow as you can between two lines....practicing the balancing of the bike.

Good fun couple of days.

I have the same memory, but I think thats for Vic rather than NSW. Think they finish about 3 so its not really a full day.
That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson.
dilligaf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z900
State: Victoria

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion