Big bloke on a smaller bike

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

Re: Big bloke on a smaller bike

Postby dickfaber » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:23 am

i'm 6foot4, and 130 kg's
had a gpx250 for 4 years; commuted on it every day, and rode on holidays (sydney-brisbane, sydney-south coast, sydney- central west nsw) regularly. had a frigging ball; apart fro the comments like i was doing unnatural acts to such a small bike. regularly got 350 k's to a tank commuting, and got 450k's to a tank touring.

it has been said any fool can go fast on a fast bike, but it takes skill to go fast on a slow bike. I have chased gsxr600's, cbr600's, zx6r's etc up a variety of nice twisties like macquarie pass, the alstonville range, beechmont road, tamborine-canungra road, bulli pass, grafton-armidale road etc and even got past them one more than one occasion (shocked those blokes; especially when we stopped at the end and they realised they had been carved up or buzzed by a lams 250!)

my 2 cents worth
I am a bilingual illiterate; i can't read or write in two different languages
dickfaber
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ER6
State: New South Wales

Postby bonester » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:21 pm

I'll second what Dick is saying. Had a loan of a GPX250 for a while and had a ball on it. I'm 124kg too. :(
2 X ZRX1200R 4 X ER6N, GT550, 1988 ZX-10, 4 X GPZ250R, 4 X GPZ900R and GPZ750R :) Yeah I like Kawasakis.
bonester
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby zr550 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:07 pm

dickfaber wrote:i'm 6foot4, and 130 kg's
had a gpx250 for 4 years; commuted on it every day, and rode on holidays (sydney-brisbane, sydney-south coast, sydney- central west nsw) regularly. had a frigging ball; apart fro the comments like i was doing unnatural acts to such a small bike. regularly got 350 k's to a tank commuting, and got 450k's to a tank touring.

it has been said any fool can go fast on a fast bike, but it takes skill to go fast on a slow bike. I have chased gsxr600's, cbr600's, zx6r's etc up a variety of nice twisties like macquarie pass, the alstonville range, beechmont road, tamborine-canungra road, bulli pass, grafton-armidale road etc and even got past them one more than one occasion (shocked those blokes; especially when we stopped at the end and they realised they had been carved up or buzzed by a lams 250!)

my 2 cents worth

If your that big mate on a gpx250 they musta been some awful riders or you were going way fast! haha

I recently rode a gs500 a late model one n I thought it was alright, but nothing on my zephyr 550, compact enough with fuckloads more kick than a gs.. Get something with plenty o midrange, I nearly went for a cbr250rr, thank fuck I didn't, I weight 95kg and 6'1 and my arms would be near my kneecaps!
You only live once....
zr550
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Victoria

Postby dickfaber » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:23 am

zr550 wrote:
dickfaber wrote:i'm 6foot4, and 130 kg's

my 2 cents worth

If your that big mate on a gpx250 they musta been some awful riders or you were going way fast! haha

I recently rode a gs500 a late model one n I thought it was alright, but nothing on my zephyr 550, compact enough with fuckloads more kick than a gs.. Get something with plenty o midrange, I nearly went for a cbr250rr, thank fuck I didn't, I weight 95kg and 6'1 and my arms would be near my kneecaps!

yeah, they were pretty awful!
but where they sat up and braked, loosing corner speed, i would crank over a few more degrees and keep the old girl pinned!. secret is corner speed and the line through the corners. most big bore bikes have the grunt, but a gutless one doesnt so you need to keep that speed up.
I am a bilingual illiterate; i can't read or write in two different languages
dickfaber
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby huffy67 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:32 am

an ER6n or a Ninja 650 all come in lams approved and are great for the larger guys ( or girls ) i am 6ft and 110kg and the er6n is great for me, very comfy and has a great riding position,

let us know what bike you end up with and welcome brave.gif
Like a BOSS!
huffy67
Warming up
Warming up

State: Queensland

Postby kiwi-jono » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:17 pm

not really sure bout the 250 i have a er6nl im 160kg and 6ft1 and it gets me around fine riding position is good fits in my gut just fine :D
kiwi-jono
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby billydakid » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Im 6'4 and 90kg i got the ninja 650 cause im on my Ls and ive loved it!!! good power but nice n comfy for big guys like us mate toothy10.gif
billydakid
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: Ninja 650

Previous

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion