Ninja 250r question

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

Ninja 250r question

Postby vivek67 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:11 pm

Hi guys,

bike newbie, hence this is a newbie question.

bought a new ninja 250 last week. since then, i've done 230 odd kms. my question is about the 'jerky' gear shifting from neutral to the first gear. After riding for a while, I notice the bike revvs high (2-3k RPMS) at traffic lights when I am stopped. WHen the light turns green and I change from neutral to the first gear, its like a big 'clunk' and a jerk. functionality wise no problems, I can do what the bike is meant to do. but just the way it does it, makes me think if I am damaging it?

Is this normal? Is this how the bike normally shifts or do I have to configure something?
-------------------------------------------------------------
2005 Ninja ZX6R
vivek67
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX6R
State: Victoria

Re: Ninja 250r question

Postby waynemorgan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:18 pm

Kawasaki bikes have a "positive neutral finder" - when you engage 1st gear it's with a "thunk"!

Perfectly normal :D
I don't like the term insane - I prefer mentally hilarious!
waynemorgan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZZR600
State: New South Wales

Postby Six Addict » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:21 pm

you might have the choke on which would exlpain the high idle, or the idle screw might be set really high. gearboxes are always clunky, my ZX6R is the same, huge clunk, it frightens my dad but its normal
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Postby vivek67 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:48 pm

Six Addict wrote:you might have the choke on which would exlpain the high idle, or the idle screw might be set really high.

Hi guys, thanks for your inputs.

I am pretty sure the choke is not on, where is this idle screw you talk of? Can I adjust it myself?
2005 Ninja ZX6R
vivek67
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Strika » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:28 am

What you are experiencing is part of the motor loosening up in it's run in period. As the motor beds in to each others surfaces, internal friction is reduced, causing the idle to rise. As someone else has mentioned, you need to turn the idle down a little. It is a simple matter of finding the idle adjuster screw, which is normally a black plastic knurled knob and turning it till the engine revs drop down to the appropriate speed. I have never looked over a 250R, so you might need one of the other mmenber in here who owns one to point it out to you.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha

Postby vivek67 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Strika wrote:What you are experiencing is part of the motor loosening up in it's run in period. As the motor beds in to each others surfaces, internal friction is reduced, causing the idle to rise. As someone else has mentioned, you need to turn the idle down a little. It is a simple matter of finding the idle adjuster screw, which is normally a black plastic knurled knob and turning it till the engine revs drop down to the appropriate speed. I have never looked over a 250R, so you might need one of the other mmenber in here who owns one to point it out to you.

Thanks Strika. Helpful.
2005 Ninja ZX6R
vivek67
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Megsnitro » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:38 pm

Hi,
My new Ninja felt like that also but at the first service, the mechanic explained how the gears would now feel alot different as the initial oil had been replaced with ...... some other kind of special oil (very technical and specific :oops: ) as it had now been run in. It made a huge difference to the gear change.
I'm a GIRL!!
Megsnitro
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: Ninja 650

Postby vivek67 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:03 pm

Strika wrote:What you are experiencing is part of the motor loosening up in it's run in period. As the motor beds in to each others surfaces, internal friction is reduced, causing the idle to rise. As someone else has mentioned, you need to turn the idle down a little. It is a simple matter of finding the idle adjuster screw, which is normally a black plastic knurled knob and turning it till the engine revs drop down to the appropriate speed. I have never looked over a 250R, so you might need one of the other mmenber in here who owns one to point it out to you.

Okay, I am a bit confused about 'idle' speed of the engine. Normally, when I start up my engine, it idles at about 1300 RPM (which I am assuming is the desired level). THis is true even on a hot day like 28C and after I've warmed up the bike for a good 4-5 minutes.

However, after I ride for 10-15 mins and stop at a red light, the idle increases to about 2.5 to 3000 RPM and it doesn't go down unless I shift in to first gear and release the clutch a bit. When I pull the clutch right back, it again shoots up to 2.5 to 3000 RPM.

Should I be concerned? It's almost like I have 2 idle speeds. One when its not been ridden, and one when I've ridden it for 15-20 mins. Also, just measured the mileage on my bike. I am getting 22.5 kms per litre. Sounds a bit low to me for a 250cc bike? . THoughts guys? :)
2005 Ninja ZX6R
vivek67
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby fireyrob » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:22 am

Six Addict wrote:you might have the choke on which would exlpain the high idle

+1

Simple Q, Are you turning the choke off after it gets warm?

1300 idle is about right once warm!

Trying to remember from my old one Im fairly sure there is an idle adjustment on the LHS down just under the frame. Just like Strike described!
Attachments
250RIdleScrew.jpg
250RIdleScrew.jpg (8.66 KiB) Viewed 6780 times
09 ZX6R
03 Zthou
fireyrob
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Z1000

Postby robracer » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:54 am

Yes as said above, with no choke set the idle with the bike hot :D
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Wattie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:17 pm

robracer wrote:Yes as said above, with no choke set the idle with the bike hot :D

yep, set the idle once the bike is warm.

then you will find it needs the choke to idle smoothly when cold. then once its warm turn the choke off and ride happily with a nice proper idleing bike 8)
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby vivek67 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:37 pm

Wattie wrote:
robracer wrote:Yes as said above, with no choke set the idle with the bike hot :D

yep, set the idle once the bike is warm.

then you will find it needs the choke to idle smoothly when cold. then once its warm turn the choke off and ride happily with a nice proper idleing bike 8)

Thanks guys. I found the idle screw and adjusted it today once the bike was warm. It felt a lot better with the bike idling a lot better at 1600 RPM at the lights now.

Amazed at how well the bike is built. I did not have to open the fairings and the screw was readily accessible for a newbie like me to adjust. very happy :D

PS - Odometer now reads 280 kms :)
2005 Ninja ZX6R
vivek67
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby hoffy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:28 pm

Weapon :twisted:
hoffy