P's test - heads up anyone?

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

Re: P's test - heads up anyone?

Postby snakeyez82 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:29 am

Thanx Brent, i will remember to headcheck BOTH ways (ditto Dizzi) :) & now that you've explained 'feathering the clutch', i realise that i've already been doing that, but have been having a bit of trouble with it. I think because i find that if i'm feathering it too 'low', then when i drag the brake i go too slow & feel like i'm going to fall over (self-fulfilling prophecy i think!), but if i am feathering it too high, then i'm going too high & i overshoot the mark & ride over lines & whatnot. I'm going to Oak Flats to practise again 2night, i will practise my feathering, now that i'm aware of what it actually is, thanks for ur explanation! :D Also, i'm not too good at the counter-leaning (is that what it is?), i try it when riding sometimes, to practise, but i tend to go wide when doing that, so dont do it that often, maybe i'll practise that 2night too...

& i'm definitely going to practise my trailing, although i have been pressing on it harder rather than softer, i thought i had to press it harder?? Maybe not, i'll try that out 2night too, thanx Mike-S! :)

& thanx Sulli :D , i take everyone's advice here because you all know more than me & have the experience, i just dont! I want to be a good rider & want to be confident on my own bike, so thats the main reason why i want to do the test on my bike, i think it will help my confidence if i pass the test, knowing that i can do all these things on it. I really appreciate everyone's advice too, thanks heaps all! :kuda:
Current bike: ZZR250 '02 model, 'Freddie' :-D
snakeyez82
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZZR250
State: New South Wales

Postby waynemorgan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:44 am

To feather the clutch -

Raise your revs to about 3000
Let the clutch out slowly until you start to feel it move the bike
Release your rear brake - the bike will start to move. You then govern the speed of the bike by using the rear brake. With positive drive forwards and dragging the rear brake you can actually move the bike almost at walking speed while being stable.

As for counter-leaning - it works well if you can master it but it's not really necessary for the Most test. Personally I leaned with the bike and it turned fine using the clutch/throttle/rear brake.

The bikes you can hire for the test are good but I chose to use my bike - I was familiar with it and felt comfortable on it.

Practice the slow riding skills, get used to using your rear brake (for the slow maneuvers only) and sit forward towards the tank of the bike :D
I don't like the term insane - I prefer mentally hilarious!
waynemorgan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZZR600

Postby snakeyez82 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:31 pm

thanks for that Wayne, i love details, i will practise that 2night, especially for the U-turn & cone weave! I WILL conquer them (eventually!) :twisted:

I'm still a bit iffy on the counter-leaning, i'll try it again, & if it doesnt work then i'll just stick to the 'feathering', I know that i need to play around with the back brake & how hard/soft it needs to be pressed, practice practice practice for me! :D
snakeyez82
Warming up
Warming up

Postby kevindinho » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:18 am

There are many videos on youtube that aid in body positioning for uturns, check them out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9r8nQcK ... re=related

good luck
When i grow up i want a ZX6R just like Rob Racer...

Craving PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE....mmmm
kevindinho
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Yamaha

Postby snakeyez82 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:25 pm

thanx 4 the link Kevindinho, i checked it out, good stuff! i ended up checking out more vids too, hehehe :D

I have realised since practising some more that i need to feather the clutch more, i tend to use too much throttle, i will practise feathering 2night.

Also, hubby & i measured the tests (painted in the carpark @ Oak Flats) & they are wrong!! Well, according to my MOST test printout from the RTA anyways, the cone weave markings are all about 10-20cm out, & i've found it makes a huge difference, when i set the cone weave up with my own markers & at the right measurements, it made the difference between me failing & running over (& breaking!) my markers & actually successfully completing the cone weave, including the last cone! 2night i will check the other tests & their measurements, could possibly be the reason why i haven't been able to get the hang of most of them... (thats my excuse anyway!) :oops:
snakeyez82
Warming up
Warming up

Postby red_dave » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:04 am

Good luck in the test champ...

Let us know how it goes :kuda:

btw - i failed my first test for speeding :lol:
red_dave
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Bike: ZX6R
State: Queensland

Postby snakeyez82 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:39 am

thanx Red Dave, i tend to forget about my speed sometimes, i gotta NOT do that on Sat, lol!! & i will definitely advise on how i go, either way! :?

& last night i read through all of these things that you've all posted, & i went to practice again, i was sooo determined, & i finally got the hang of it all! With the u-turn i tried to find the feathering point, but i couldn't! My bike doesnt seem to be able to be feathered (clutch point & throttle) cos it goes fast by itself when in first gear, so i ended up just using alot of back brake & a tiny bit of throttle, & i finally leaned with the bike & was able to smash it in, i was nowhere near the line, even on my 'bad' side, woooo! I also did the stopping test without locking up, & the cone weave i did every time without running over my markers, i feel soooo much better about it all now, thanx all 4 ur advice, you guys are the best :kuda:
I will prob post on Mon, cos Sun i'm going for my FIRST group ride, with hubby & a friend, not sure where yet but somewhere within 100km of Wollongong, lol! If i fail then i'll be cheering myself up by riding on Sun & if i pass, i'll be riding knowing i have my P's, we'll see ;)
snakeyez82
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Supafrog » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:15 pm

You'll do fine.. especically if you are feeling more confident now! 8)
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX12R
State: Western Australia

Postby tim » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:21 pm

Sounds like you're making some good progress well done!

snakeyez82 wrote: With the u-turn i tried to find the feathering point, but i couldn't! My bike doesnt seem to be able to be feathered (clutch point & throttle) cos it goes fast by itself when in first gear

Try to get someone experienced to ride your bike and do some slow riding exercises to see what they think about how the clutch feels.

You definitely should get feathering the clutch down now while you're actively practicing and learning, before it become totally ingrained.

Keep up the good work :D
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby snakeyez82 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:08 pm

I PASSSSSSSED, woooooooooooo!!!! :kuda: :kuda: :kuda:

Soooo happy!! I was REALLY nervous, especially knowing that you have to do ALL the tests in one go in front of everyone, nerve-wracking! :shock: It was myself & 5 other guys in my group, they were all great, especially at the end, we were all cheering each other on! Two of the guys failed, such a shame, one guy was on a dirtbike & didn't stop quick enough in the stopping test, & missed some headchecks, & the other guy went over the line & put his foot down THREE times during the u-turn!! Felt sorry for them, since the rest of us passed & were all happy & chatting about it.

I passed everything, i dont think i got any points, & in the stopping test i did the best, i either stopped before the lines or right on the first one, i was happy with that! :) Overall a long tiring day, but so worth it since i passed, off to go have a celebratory dinner with my hubby, i'm soooo hungry!!

Thanx everyone for ur advice, it definitely helped!! :kuda: See yas out on the road! ;)
snakeyez82
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Dizzi » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:25 pm

Ohhhh congrats Snakeyez, well done indeedi, man is it a relief once it's over isn't it, so now you gotta come up for a visit of the ol road ;)
10 Green ZX6R

I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
Dizzi
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby waynemorgan » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:47 pm

Congratulations!! Well done on passing :kuda: now it's time to get out and ride ;)
I don't like the term insane - I prefer mentally hilarious!
waynemorgan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZZR600

Postby -b-r-e-n-t- » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:04 pm

Congrats 8)
2012 Black ZX-10R - Roady
Mods: Zero Gravity dark screen.
2010 Black ZX-6R - For Sale
Mods: Zero Gravity dark screen. Yoshimura R77 Carbon slip-on.
2010 Blue Ninja 250R - Sold
Mods: Akrapovic Carbon Fibre Slip On

...boldly going nowhere...
-b-r-e-n-t-
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby GPZ_Jim » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:55 pm

congrats! feels great that its all over and done with eh :) have fun!! :kuda:
GPZ_Jim
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: GPz500

Postby mike-s » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:58 am

Congrats, i bet you feel a lot better having done a heap of practice before the big day.
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Suzuki

PreviousNext

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion