being able to regester a bigger bike on ur LAMS licence

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

being able to regester a bigger bike on ur LAMS licence

Postby andew » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:09 pm

when i registered my gpx the vicroads asked for my learners permit and they made sure it was a LAMS bike.
one of my mates just upgraded from a cbr125r to a cbr600f4 but he is only on his p plates still LAMS
and he registered the bike today and they didnt ask him for his licence or even a reciept?
WTF!!!!!!!
andew

Bike: GPx250
State: Please Select a State

Re: being able to regester a bigger bike on ur LAMS licence

Postby MrWasabi » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:36 pm

ive heard many cases where some 600s and even 900s get stamped as LAMs approved, despite not being on the list.
Get your mate to check his rego label and see if he has a LAMs approved on it.
Mistakes:
Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

http://www.sentechcomputers.com.au
MrWasabi
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Postby andew » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:59 pm

the cbr600f4 only weighs 170k dry weight and there 80.3kw i cant see that being under the 150kw/1000kg
andew

Postby kevindinho » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:59 pm

yea there's this black GSXR600 around that is apparently learner legal. But i think for andrews friend who registered the bike under his name, he'll still get into shit if pulled over by the cops. Registering the bike under his name doesnt mean you are licensed to ride it. Right? .....wait he cant register it because of CTP. Don't they ask you like a million questions and i think one of them was that you must be licensed to ride the vehicle that you are insuring. Maybe its because his transfering it from some one elses name to his, then you dont have to go thru all that other crap.
When i grow up i want a ZX6R just like Rob Racer...

Craving PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE....mmmm
kevindinho
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Yamaha

Postby fireyrob » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:27 am

There are a few 600's rolling around that have a limiter on them. Saw a cbr600 with L plate on and thought WTF but got told that there is a mob that can restrict them and reverse it once a full licence permits. Also to have a vehicle registered in your name but not necessarily be licensed to drive / ride the vehicle (at least in NSW) is also permissable. The green slip covers all licenced drivers of the vehicle. Why do this you ask? Well Ive been told by the NSWRTA that there is no reason why someone cant "own" a legally registered vehicle but not be licenced to ride / drive it! Its a seperate issue. Sounds stupid to me but I guess there may be some old buggers out there unlicenced with a Phase III GTHO patiently sitting waiting for the magic 7 figures?
09 ZX6R
03 Zthou
fireyrob
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Z1000

Postby tim » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:49 am

also a 'boss' who can't use that vehicle but needs to register it for their employee to use.
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Wattie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:21 am

yeah, you can rego any vehicle you like, but doesnt mean you can drive it.
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby andew » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:34 am

hahah yer i forgot about that. Like i just sold my old vs commodore to a mate which still hasn't got his license. but he registered it in his name. lol
thanks guys thats makes a lot of sense know!
andew

Postby philbo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:32 pm

fireyrob wrote:There are a few 600's rolling around that have a limiter on them. Saw a cbr600 with L plate on and thought WTF but got told that there is a mob that can restrict them and reverse it once a full licence permits. Also to have a vehicle registered in your name but not necessarily be licensed to drive / ride the vehicle (at least in NSW) is also permissable. The green slip covers all licenced drivers of the vehicle. Why do this you ask? Well Ive been told by the NSWRTA that there is no reason why someone cant "own" a legally registered vehicle but not be licenced to ride / drive it! Its a seperate issue. Sounds stupid to me but I guess there may be some old buggers out there unlicenced with a Phase III GTHO patiently sitting waiting for the magic 7 figures?

last i heard on this is rta backflipped on the process of limiting the ecu so that the bikes had to come out the factory with that power figure and couldnt be after market jobs to detune them. Which nearly sent the bloke broke who was doing these ecu conversions or power limiters
KEEPIN'IT REAL ON THE WESS SIDE

DONT LET FEAR HOLD YOU BACK

Storm-010 white zx6r
philbo
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

State: Western Australia

Postby mike-s » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:59 pm

Considering those restrictions are tamper-proof and permitted overseas, i think it is a bit harsh for them to insist that it be from-the-factory.
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Suzuki

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion