Can anyone answer this question?

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

Can anyone answer this question?

Postby Groova88 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:50 pm

Hi all - hopefully someone may know??? KZ650/Z650. this model does NOT appear on the Vicroad Lams list - HOWEVER is listed for SA and NSW. (quite possibly Qld too - but haven't been able to check their site yet!) I thought since they changed the LAMS to include up to 660 bikes/power to weight - that the LAMS approved bikes were/are National/same for all States?
When I spoke to Vicroad friday a'noon - the very 'helpful' guy on the phone said:- if it's not on the list is not LAMS approved! My thoughts were - and early 80's classic bike should fit within the power to weight limits, so this is when I checked the other state's LAMS listing.
I'm hoping Vicroad just hadn't updated their list prior to Xmas.
anyone out there know???
many thanks.
PG.
Groova88

Bike: Don't have one
State: Please Select a State

Re: Can anyone answer this question?

Postby mick_dundee » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Don't KNOW for sure but LAMS lists are state based, not national and as the Vic Roads bloke suggested, if it isn't on the list then fair chance it's not legal.
A good mate will bail you out of jail, a true mate will be sitting in the cell next to you saying "Damn, we fucked up!!!"
mick_dundee
Team Naked
Team Naked

Bike: Suzuki
State: Victoria

Postby Groova88 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:57 pm

tks Mick - strange tho that the other states list this bike but not Vic! anyway I plan getting onto them 2moro, so they may consider if other states have approved. won;t hang by my neck tho......PG
Groova88

Bike: Don't have one
State: Please Select a State

Postby corvus2606 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:41 am

usually they will have a process for getting your bike added to the list providing you can offer up proof that it fits within the power to weight ratio.

It may well just be that it hasnt been added to the list because no one has tried to ride one yet.
2002 GPX250 - Gone
2003 ER-5 - Gone
1986 GPZ1000rx - Under Construction
corvus2606
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ER5
State: ACT

Postby mick_dundee » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:55 am

Sounds like a job for a dyno and scales to me :) or alternatively, try find the original stats for the bike on the web might be easier :)
A good mate will bail you out of jail, a true mate will be sitting in the cell next to you saying "Damn, we fucked up!!!"
mick_dundee
Team Naked
Team Naked

Bike: Suzuki
State: Victoria

Postby Six Addict » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:05 pm

it had 46.7kW when new ... and weighed 208kg... that equals 224kW/tonne, which by my reckoning is 74kW/tonne over the limit... most LAMS bikes (ie the bigger ones) have about 33-35kW... oh and btw, its not on the NSW lams list... you'll need a Z550 to make in under the power limit... ;)

HTH
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati
State: New South Wales

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion