What revs to sit on?

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

What revs to sit on?

Postby clay » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:41 pm

I've just passed the breaking in period on my 2009 Ninja 250R. Prior to this the manual advised not exceeding 6K.

What should I sit my revs on when in gear now? 6K, 8K or what? And at what rev range should I change gear? 8K?

Redline starts at 13 I think. I bounced the needle off the limiter for the first time today when in 2nd gear, felt nice, sounded pretty sweet for a 250 too :D

Thanks guys.
clay
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Ninja 250
State: New South Wales

Re: What revs to sit on?

Postby dilligaf » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:07 pm

In town I try to be at the bottom of the power band so I have good engine braking if I roll off and acceleration if I roll on.
That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson.
dilligaf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z900
State: Victoria

Postby MrWasabi » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:16 pm

Power band starts around 7k I think, so cruising around town I would stay in 4th or 5th or what ever keeps the needle just below the power band. If you need to pull away in a hurry you can gear down and power on. Or if you need to stop you can shift down and apply brakes and have so e decent engine braking to go with it. Edit: basically what Dilli just said.
Also I wouldn't be too concerned with what the book says, the engine is broken in before it's fitted on the bike. There is a website that explains how to break in engines and it basically contrdicts everything the books say. Hopefully someone that knows it can post a link up for you
Mistakes:
Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

http://www.sentechcomputers.com.au
MrWasabi
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Bike: ZX6R

Postby King Nicholas » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:04 am

For me, it depends on what type of riding I am doing.
Tyra redlines at 13k.
If I am just cruising I sit at low revs, 4-6k because it saves fuel and being at low revs make me feel relaxed.
If I am riding aggressively I will sit in something like 6-8k so I have power if I twist my wrist but of course, it depends on what is happening at the time.
There are variables to consider.
I do not know if that helped or not but there it is.
King Nicholas. Keeping it unreal.
King Nicholas
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning

Postby fireyrob » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:38 am

Theyre fine at almost any rpm... Like trackdays sitting on 10000+ Just ride it like ya stole it!!! Its a 250 and is almost indestructible!!! Besides youll be craving for more grunt once the licence allows!
09 ZX6R
03 Zthou
fireyrob
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Z1000

Postby Nelso » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:57 am

MrWasabi wrote:Power band starts around 7k I think, so cruising around town I would stay in 4th or 5th or what ever keeps the needle just below the power band. If you need to pull away in a hurry you can gear down and power on. Or if you need to stop you can shift down and apply brakes and have so e decent engine braking to go with it. Edit: basically what Dilli just said.
Also I wouldn't be too concerned with what the book says, the engine is broken in before it's fitted on the bike. There is a website that explains how to break in engines and it basically contrdicts everything the books say. Hopefully someone that knows it can post a link up for you

Here you go:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

As for the 250, give it a proper warm up then rev its tits off.
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby clay » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:23 pm

Sweet, thanks guys.

I guess if I'm in a fuel saving mood I'll keep revs <6K. Otherwise, I'll keep them above 6 ,like 6-8K. And if I feel like revving its tits off I'll keep them around 10K :D

After reading that article on break-ins I'm a little confused now. I mean, mine was broken in according to the manual, so I'm guessing it's not as powerful as it could be. Thank God it's only a 250. But when I buy a bigger bike, I'm not sure what I'll do. I mean fanging it straight away seems like it would damage the motor, thanks to all the conventional things I've heard. But according to this fella its actually better for the motor. Something to consider, it'll be a while before I get a bigger bike.
clay
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Ninja 250

Postby Slow and wobbly » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:01 pm

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Wank
Believe it if you want. It's just one "Experts" theory. Don't believe everything you read on the net.
I see this one piece of diatribe trotted out regularly and "Sworn by"on this forum. It makes fuck all difference and could possibly cause long term damage due to premature wear. The break in period on any new vehicle is to make allowance for tight tolerances and allows all moving parts within the engine to mate together.
Clay you have done the right thing and are none the worse for it.
I got a sweater for my birthday. I realy wanted a moaner or a screamer.
Slow and wobbly
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Scooter

Postby Nelso » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:47 pm

I have no idea if it's good or bad advice. I only linked it because someone asked for it.
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby Jaykay » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:55 am

There is contravercy everywhere with regards to break in... I know some machanics that say one thing and others agree with another... Some say stick to the manual others say ride it like you stole it... I think I sat inbetween both methods when breaking in as it in near on impossible to stick to the book (letter for letter) on the little babeys anyway.

But yeah... When trotting around local streets I won't go over 5th gear (around 5k at 60) seems to sit nice and give me potential to find useable power easy enough (sometimes this means shifting down)...
Do what you do, and do it well...
Jaykay
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZX2R
State: Queensland

Postby gpxpunk » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:39 pm

i have learnt to just let the engine tell you what it wants, if ou hit a corner and upon exit it is sluggish then you know your revs are to low, with more riding youll see what your 250 likes, give it time and youll be soon riding the tits off it mark.
1987 GPX250R. memories
2002 ZX7R . sold!!!!

I want My 7r BACK!!!!!!! Grrrrrr
gpxpunk
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Don't have one

Postby Jonno » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:31 pm

ha, I laugh at your revs and raise you 2 redline :kuda:
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Queensland

Postby Strika » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:15 am

Slow and wobbly wrote:http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Wank
Believe it if you want. It's just one "Experts" theory. Don't believe everything you read on the net.
I see this one piece of diatribe trotted out regularly and "Sworn by"on this forum. It makes fuck all difference and could possibly cause long term damage due to premature wear. The break in period on any new vehicle is to make allowance for tight tolerances and allows all moving parts within the engine to mate together.
Clay you have done the right thing and are none the worse for it.

Sounds like yet another "experts" theory! Who's right and who's wrong??? Dunno, but I have been riding bikes for a long time and had lots of bikes. I run my bikes in relatively hard without banging them off the limiter and my engines have always produced good power, never used oil and have done loads of klms without premature wear or failure???? I'll keep running mine in that way regardless of your "expert" opinion!

A great example of this, is a mate of mine who bought a 954 blade new and rode it hard from the get go. It just clocked 200,000 trouble free klms (apart from 4 Stators, which fail at 50,000klms almost on the dot!!) I doubt you could convince him of any other running in method!!!!! :lol:

I still think the key to a long engine life is simple...clean oil!!! ;)
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion