Learners Beware

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

Learners Beware

Postby P4nza » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:42 pm

From 28 September 2009 learner licence holders will be included in the demerit points scheme to help reduce young driver deaths on our roads. The allocation of demerit points for certain traffic offences is designed to encourage safe and responsible driving.

Under the scheme, a learner licence will be suspended, or a licence application or renewal refused, for a period of three months if four (4) or more demerit points are incurred within a three-year period.

The minimum number of demerit points for a speeding offence committed by a learner will be four (4). This means that a learner licence will be suspended, or an application for a learner licence refused, under the demerit points scheme for three months for any speeding offence.

You can also lose your licence for higher levels of speeding. An additional three-month suspension applies for exceeding the speed limit by more than 30 km/h and a six-month suspension applies for speeding more than 45 km/h.

Police can also suspend and confiscate your licence at the roadside for speeding more than 30 km/h over the limit or if you drive without a supervisor.

A learner driver will have the right to appeal to a local court, a decision to suspend or refuse a licence under the demerit points or excessive speed schemes.

Heavy penalties, including a jail sentence and disqualification from driving, may be imposed by a court if you are convicted of driving while your licence is suspended or refused.

The majority of drivers, including learners, are able to drive safely and in accordance with the law. However, drivers under twenty years of age continue to be over-represented in road crashes. The inclusion of learner licence holders in the demerit points scheme will further encourage safe driving by young people and help reduce the trauma caused by road crashes to individuals and their families and friends.
2009 Kwaka Ninja 250R (Charlotte) Roady SOLD :'(
2010 Kwaka Ninja 250R SE (Jenny) Tracky SOLD :'(
Now i got no kwakas to ride! :\

"...I thought my tongue was longer than that!"

Team Crashed 2010 angry9.gif
P4nza
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Don't have one
State: New South Wales

Re: Learners Beware

Postby Glen » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:45 pm

I think Bike Learners have always come under the points scheme, except in the good old days when you could do what you wanted on your L's and never lose points. That was pre mid 80's though.
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby seiko1 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:41 pm

You shouldn't be able to get on the road until your at least 21 I reckon :shock:
happy1.gif
Policy - Find something simple.....and Complicate it!
seiko1
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX14R
State: Victoria

Postby lifeofcrimeguy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:03 pm

I got a speeding on my Ls in 2005 and no points.
See here, young man,
From Walgett to the sea,
From Conroy's Gap to Castlereagh,
There's none can ride like me.

-- Banjo Paterson
LMFAO
lifeofcrimeguy
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX6R

Postby seiko1 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:17 pm

Do you think L plates would stick out on the 14? :lol:
Policy - Find something simple.....and Complicate it!
seiko1

Bike: ZX14R
State: Victoria

Postby robracer » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:38 pm

Glen wrote:I think Bike Learners have always come under the points scheme, except in the good old days when you could do what you wanted on your L's and never lose points. That was pre mid 80's though.

Thats True Glen, infact I knew a few couriers that stayed on their L's so all they did was pay fines :lol:
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion