improving skills

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

improving skills

Postby waynemorgan » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:11 pm

So after thinking about the OPH ride on Sunday I have a couple (lol) of things I need to improve on.

When cornering I was concentrating on lines and trying to figure out cornering speed (yep - really slow but I got around them). According to "The Pace" (thanks Rob!) it's slow in / fast out - I'm guessing that judging the entry speed is something gained thru experience but is there a way of discerning if your entry speed can be higher / lower?

So - slow in (braking and gear change), keep the line wide on a constant throttle until I see an exit point then aim at the apex and accelerate. Thats the theory but what about body position on the bike? Forward towards the tank or back towards the rear?

If it's a series of left/right corners how do you manage the exit speed to being correct entry speed to the following corner when there is no point the bike is upright for braking etc for the entry speed? Especially if you only find that you're heading towards another corner after you find the exit point? Or is this something learned through experience?

Picking the correct gear? I found myself mainly in 3rd (I felt comfortable in third as far as revs / speed) on the return from the slab but how do you pick your gear in the set up?

I know I have to trust my tyres and not be afraid to lean - easy to say but something I struggle with right now.

At this stage what should I be concentraing on primariarly in relation to cornering safely? I know speed is not everything but I really enjoyed Sunday and am keen to improve my riding skills.

TIA :D
I don't like the term insane - I prefer mentally hilarious!
waynemorgan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZZR600
State: New South Wales

Re: improving skills

Postby gpxpunk » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:38 pm

with corner speed i just hit the corner at a certain speed that i feel safe. then if each time i hit that conre i increase the speed. I ride everyday to and from work so its alot of practice 45kms each day. most of the corners on the oph are hit in 2nd or 3rd on the gpx, but then again it changes.

Leaning i have no idea, coz i cant lean for shit.

I have no trust for my tyres so theres no help.

Sorry Wayne cant be to much help to you, apart from this advise.
If you can get out at night, go to the glenmore park way road and get your conre practice there. Thats what i do dude. Just hope no slow arse cars are there.
1987 GPX250R. memories
2002 ZX7R . sold!!!!

I want My 7r BACK!!!!!!! Grrrrrr
gpxpunk
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Don't have one

Postby Blurr » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:53 pm

The idea behind the 'PACE' is that you should not need to hit the brakes at all. Going fast inbetween corners only causes loss of licence and pannick attackes from the inexperienced when they approach the corner way to hot and grab all brakes to try and slow down in time. No body what to be that rider nor do they want to ride anywhere near that rider.

Entry speed should be a speed you feel comfortable enough with whilst not using the brakes (engine braking is desired) but also allows you to accelerate early in the corner to still get a kicj out of riding the corners fast. Once again if there is another corner in close proximity tot eh exit of the last there is no point winding the bike right out only to hit the brakes a second later.

By doing this you will become really adapt a judging corner entry speeds and will be less likely to hit the brakes when enering the corner slightly hotter than you intended as you will know your capable of alot more than your current speed.
Chariot of Fury 50cc 2stroke Race bike
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Cath » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:55 am

Are you coming up the oph this Sunday?
Road: 2005 ZX10R - not named yet
Road: 2008 Z750 - Kwak
Track: 2006 ZX6R - Yoshi (with a very Genki undertail)
Cath
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby boozatboo » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:48 pm

Looks like rain on Sunday... :(

Not that I'm too bothered... I need a new chain and sprockets...and although I have been
extremely upset about not having my bike for the last few days of the school holidays...
my husband says that I have been riding it too much and worn it out...
Honestly... is there such a thing as riding too much ??? ;)
How do you know when you have crossed the line from hobby to obsession ??? Does anybody know tha answer to that ???
In retrospect should have got the damn chain and sprockets and ditched the rego renewal...
What's the point, I can't ride the bloody thing anyway... aaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh... :x

So looks like I'll be out for this Sunday... blast... never mind...
I keep telling myself plenty more Sundays to come...

Andy :kuda:

Now that I've finished whinging.... wwaaaaaaaahhhhhh....
The only advice that always sticks in my head when cornering... Richo said to me one day :
just lean the farker.... so I do !!! If you have the right speed going into the corner all you
need to do is keep that speed when entering, lean it and accelerate out of it...
It does help to practice it heaps... just keep telling yourself... lean the farker... and you'll be right...
Actually till you know your corners better... slower is better...better safe than splattered all over the road...
or heading into oncoming traffic...don't always assume that there is nothing around the corner...
HONDA VTR250 - Charlie !!!

ZIGGY Z1000
boozatboo
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Z1000

Postby waynemorgan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:22 pm

Thanks for the input guys - I think I just need more time on the bike. Oh damn, what a shame :lol: :lol:

Cath - will be there on Sunday :D

had an absolute ball last week.
waynemorgan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Cath » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:15 pm

If the weather isn't foul, I'm happy to ride along with you for a bit, answer a few questions and offer suggestions based on what I observe if you'd like :)

See you there!
Road: 2005 ZX10R - not named yet
Road: 2008 Z750 - Kwak
Track: 2006 ZX6R - Yoshi (with a very Genki undertail)
Cath
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby gpxpunk » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:16 pm

so wayne did you go for the most today or what????????

info dude
1987 GPX250R. memories
2002 ZX7R . sold!!!!

gpxpunk
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby waynemorgan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:33 pm

Dave - didn't pass mate - my slow speed skills apparently suck. Cone weave got me. Left turn / U-turn was perfect but cone weave suck-diddly-ucked. :( Just need more practice (kinda like my medium speed control :lol: :lol: )

Thanks Cath - looking forward to it! :D :D
waynemorgan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby gpxpunk » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:28 pm

damn dude sorry to hear dude. i have cones if you need to practice dude. the misses bought them for me to practice but i never used them.

Was the gpz abit heavy to control?
1987 GPX250R. memories
2002 ZX7R . sold!!!!

gpxpunk
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby waynemorgan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:35 pm

Thanks mate - that would be great.

It's heavy but for some reason I had real troubles keeping the clucth in the friction zone / revs steady. It was like my hands weren't connected to the same brain (something I've long suspected anyway....lol). Slow riding straight line and figure 8 - no problem. Thru the U turn - no problem. Just the cone weave.

Going to do some practise - for some reason some part of me really pushes me to be good at whatever I turn my hand to, always wanting to improve / to better and this is something I want to beat.

:kuda:
waynemorgan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Dizzi » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:42 pm

Hey Wayne, yeah we have cones to, Jay practiced on them heaps before he went and it helped, Boozatboo and myself are going to practice so maybe (when I finally get better) we can organise a Sunday and all practice together. :kuda: :kuda:
10 Green ZX6R

I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
Dizzi
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R

Postby gpxpunk » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:43 pm

all ican say is practice! practice! practice!

Which guy did you get anyways??? the young one{ cant remember his name}, or the fuzzy haired dude?
1987 GPX250R. memories
2002 ZX7R . sold!!!!

gpxpunk
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby waynemorgan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:48 pm

I had Wayne today - Bruce was there as well doing the second class. Both were very encouraging. Wayne is one of the older guys and Bruce has the long curly hair (he did my L's last year).
waynemorgan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby gpxpunk » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:54 pm

oh ok, yeah cant remember the day that much. lol was a bit of a blur.

Need to team up a evening to practice at the havey's parking lot dude.
1987 GPX250R. memories
2002 ZX7R . sold!!!!

gpxpunk
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Next

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion