how to know when your at the limit?

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

how to know when your at the limit?

Postby Razza » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:42 pm

hey guys,

ive being riding for almost 6 months now and i think my cornering is improving. i can get enough angle to be scraping my toe sliders easy enough but im not confident enough to lean it over any further because i dont know how close to the limit i am! is there an easy way to tell? can i basically keep leaning until the pegs are nearly scraping or am i pretty much going as hard as i can without risking a lowside? ;)
bike im riding is a 2008 ninja in case that helps

cheers,
Daz
Razza

Bike: Ninja 250
State: Victoria

Re: how to know when your at the limit?

Postby MrWasabi » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:56 pm

depends on the bike and the tyre profile its running. But if you are scraping your toes, tuck them in by putting them on the pegs. Get your ass off the seat and stick the knee out. :Kuda:
Generally the higher the bike is the more you can lean it.
On my zzr if i didnt get my ass off the seat i would scrape my toes then my side stand if i pushed further i knew that was my bikes limit :)
Mistakes:
Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

http://www.sentechcomputers.com.au
MrWasabi
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Postby robracer » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:59 pm

Daz if you have any chicken strips left on the rear tyre then keep leaning 8) once you have warmed up the tyres (really warm) then go for it, you should be able to bring the front of your boots up on the edge of the pegs for more clearance & if the pegs scrape (take off the hero knobs) then you are getting close to the limit. I am guessing you ride with your heel wedged against the peg & if so most punters would be able to scrape toe sliders because your toes stick out in this position.
Have fun with your cornering & at the end of the day don't go past your comfort zone ;)
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby hoffy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:01 pm

mate, its all about corner speed, not so much lean angle. lean angle is a result of corner speed.

best way to see where you are is to go on a ride with a group and get someone to hold a steady pace out in front, then get feedback from them to see where you are atm.
hoffy
Team Barge
Team Barge

Bike: Z1000

Postby Razza » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:20 pm

i kind of have the middle of my foot on the peg with my toes pushed up against the gear lever, i have being trying to slide my foot up further so i have more clearance but then i get paranoid that i mite be leaning over too far because i dont have anything to gauge it by ie my toes clipping the bitumen. lol
oh and i am getting off the seat and sticking the leg out although maybe not as much as i could as i have no knee pads so prob best not to get too close to the road ;)

if i were to scrape pegs/sidestand is it going to upset the bike enough to cause problems? lol i love the process of finding out where the limits are on the bike but i scare the crap out of myself sometimes....maybe thats what i like about it! haha :P

umm...oh yeah i dont think i have chicken strips? both tyres look like they have pretty even wear to the edges...its a little more shiny on the edge but there isnt a ridge or anything...

btw im riding a 250
Razza

Postby Tack » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:21 pm

You know your at the limit when..................

a.) You pass Rossi on the outside of the last corner leading to the main straight to receive the chequered flag and win the Australian Motorcycle Grandprix.

b.) You pass anyone in a corner whilst riding a bike fitted with Chinese made tyres.

c.) You pass a Harley on the down hill run of the spur on your push bike.

d.) Your on a honda and your trying to pass a kwaka.
I live with fear everyday but on weekends she lets me ride.
Tack
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX10R
State: Queensland

Postby Razza » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:22 pm

and im keen as for a group ride hoffy, just gotta wait until we have some better weather :kuda:
Razza

Postby Nelso » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:39 pm

If you still have the hero knobs on your pegs just tuck your feet up on your pegs and keep leaning till the pegs scrape. They should just touch lightly if you are cautious about how far you lean and will only give you a bit of a fright but shouldn't unsettle the bike too much. Once they start touching get the spanner out and take them off otherwise you might start grinding them into the ground harder and harder until they do dig in and your nice new blue Z1000 is sliding down the track and.......... :cry: Where was I? Oh yeah, you will probably find the bike is capable of leaning much further than you think it can.
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby Razza » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:50 pm

ok sweet, so is it still possible to lowside before you even make it to the point where you scrape the pegs or can you pretty much be confident that you still have a small buffer available to you?

i think im probably being slightly cautious about it and the bike will as you say lean further than i think but hey its prob better than putting too much faith into the bike and dropping it ;)
cheers for the replies :D
Razza

Postby timmyrocks » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:53 pm

take a photo of your rear tyre and post it up :kuda:
dont worry about scraping pegs, scrape ya knee :kuda:
anyone can go fast in a straight line,,,,

Team Crash "09"

TE310 2011 Husqvarna trail bike :)
WR125 2004 Husqvarna :P
timmyrocks
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Other Kawi

Postby hoffy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:57 pm

low siding is not all really a result of lean angle.

improper bike balance, improper braking and incorrect timing and use of throttle application and road conditions play a bigger part in the low-side.
hoffy
Team Barge
Team Barge

Postby MrWasabi » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:10 pm

Razza wrote:if i were to scrape pegs/sidestand is it going to upset the bike enough to cause problems?

First time i did it was coming out of corner 12 in OP. absolutely shit myself as i wasnt expecting it, but as for upsetting the bike, i didnt notice much apart from my paranoid off the throttle and standing the bike up, which was a stupid idea anyway :roll:

Razza wrote:umm...oh yeah i dont think i have chicken strips? both tyres look like they have pretty even wear to the edges...its a little more shiny on the edge but there isnt a ridge or anything...

btw im riding a 250

mate, those shiny edges are your chicken strips, as Rob said, warm up the tyre and keep leaning till they start dissapearing :kuda:
Mistakes:
Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

http://www.sentechcomputers.com.au
MrWasabi
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Postby robracer » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:12 pm

You forgot one Hoffy....... OIL on the road :?
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby hoffy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:15 pm

robracer wrote:You forgot one Hoffy....... OIL on the road :?

no i covered that with road conditions ! :)
hoffy
Team Barge
Team Barge

Postby Razza » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:32 pm

chicken strips???

Razza

Next