So i got my L's... what next

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

Re: So i got my L's... what next

Postby DMonkey » Sat May 23, 2009 11:16 pm

Yea ive locked the back up a few times with the rear brake, though most deliberate..... My bad lol :) though on a straight so yea not like i was mid corner! May be riding nasho tomorrow, think we are gonna go old road to stanwell and through the nasho back, with my mate who has an R1 and by with i mean he will go hooning ahead and ill meet him whenever i get through it lol! Got no chance of keeping up with him! So if you see some noob on a Blue ZZR250 with L plates around feel free to laugh at me! :lol:
Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...Holy shit...What a ride!
Team Crash '09', '10'
DMonkey
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Don't have one
State: Victoria

Postby gpxpunk » Sat May 23, 2009 11:39 pm

DMonkey wrote:Yea ive locked the back up a few times with the rear brake, though most deliberate..... My bad lol :) though on a straight so yea not like i was mid corner! May be riding nasho tomorrow, think we are gonna go old road to stanwell and through the nasho back, with my mate who has an R1 and by with i mean he will go hooning ahead and ill meet him whenever i get through it lol! Got no chance of keeping up with him! So if you see some noob on a Blue ZZR250 with L plates around feel free to laugh at me! :lol:

locking up the arse end is dangerous but funny, lucky the bikes are that light, you can just flick it around. alot of people say not to do this but when im dropping gears i flick the throttle aswell, keeps the rpms up, stops lock up and helps keep the speed when your going UP the old road. Also the zzr-gpx and 250r can keep up and sometimes over take the bigger bikes. remember alot lighter, you can out brake most big guns, and flick our 2fiddy's around nice. then again i shouldnt talk after the low side, but i learnt from my mistake.
1987 GPX250R. memories
2002 ZX7R . sold!!!!

I want My 7r BACK!!!!!!! Grrrrrr
gpxpunk
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

State: New South Wales

Postby dave#3 » Sun May 24, 2009 7:44 am

Dizzi wrote:Yeah thanks dude will do, I actually have the feel of the gears pretty good and have been using them to slow down when need be rather than the brakes, so thanks for the advice cause that answers if I am doing that right, :kuda: learnt to drive on a manual so the whole listening and feeling the revs for the gears I do heaps, all this has made me want to go and try it all out now. I swear everyone on this forum just rocks :kuda: :kuda: :kuda:

Selecting the correct gear for a corner is important, and being in a lower gear will generally increase the engine braking effect, but, it's important to remember that brakes (not engine braking) are the most efficient and effective way to stop or slow a motorcycle. When you are shifting down gears blipping the throttle to match revs to gear selection is important and can help you avoid compression locking the rear wheel.

Just like using the back brake instead of the front, engine braking is less "scary" than braking hard with the front brakes - ever since you first set foot into the learners course everybody has told you not to use *too much* front brake, and you've seen videos on youtube of people doing stoppies and decided you don't want to use the front brakes too hard, yeah? Front brakes can be scary, and used inapporriately can result in crashes, but, it's actually really important to get accustomed to using them correctly because if you need to stop quickly it's your use of the front brakes and nothing else that will be the difference between stopping and not stopping.

On an unfamiliar road the rear brake can be handy mid-corner to settle the bike or tighten your line if the corner closes up more than you'd anticipated, but the best (IM not so HO) way to ride on the road is riding the pace.
dave#3 | '03 z1000 roadie | '08 zx6r tracky | '03 KLX400R dirty
http://www.oz4x4.net/gallery2
Winner - KSRC Murphy's Law Award 2008
dave#3
Team Ninja

Bike: Z1000

Postby marksesh » Sun May 24, 2009 11:05 am

Best advise I ever got was dont be in such a rush to get where u are going, relax and smell the roses. enjoy the ride and dont worry what your mates are doing. the way I look at it is if they dont wait at designated points or wait for you to catch up, then its time to find someone else to ride with.

Corners, again enjoy the ride and dont be in such a hurry to get through it, I ride like miss daisy, I dont care if i'm not pushing it as far as it will go, as long as i get to the other end I'm happy.
Team 4 minutes behind everyone else.
marksesh
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX12R

Postby P4nza » Sun May 24, 2009 3:36 pm

i cant teach u anything useful... u'll end up either without a licence or dead :lol: :twisted:

after june 30th i think i get my licence back... somewhere around that date.. well all go for a ride..
2009 Kwaka Ninja 250R (Charlotte) Roady SOLD :'(
2010 Kwaka Ninja 250R SE (Jenny) Tracky SOLD :'(
Now i got no kwakas to ride! :\

"...I thought my tongue was longer than that!"

Team Crashed 2010 angry9.gif
P4nza
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby gpxpunk » Sun May 24, 2009 5:52 pm

dave#3 wrote:
Dizzi wrote:Yeah thanks dude will do, I actually have the feel of the gears pretty good and have been using them to slow down when need be rather than the brakes, so thanks for the advice cause that answers if I am doing that right, :kuda: learnt to drive on a manual so the whole listening and feeling the revs for the gears I do heaps, all this has made me want to go and try it all out now. I swear everyone on this forum just rocks :kuda: :kuda: :kuda:

Selecting the correct gear for a corner is important, and being in a lower gear will generally increase the engine braking effect, but, it's important to remember that brakes (not engine braking) are the most efficient and effective way to stop or slow a motorcycle. When you are shifting down gears blipping the throttle to match revs to gear selection is important and can help you avoid compression locking the rear wheel.

Just like using the back brake instead of the front, engine braking is less "scary" than braking hard with the front brakes - ever since you first set foot into the learners course everybody has told you not to use *too much* front brake, and you've seen videos on youtube of people doing stoppies and decided you don't want to use the front brakes too hard, yeah? Front brakes can be scary, and used inapporriately can result in crashes, but, it's actually really important to get accustomed to using them correctly because if you need to stop quickly it's your use of the front brakes and nothing else that will be the difference between stopping and not stopping.

On an unfamiliar road the rear brake can be handy mid-corner to settle the bike or tighten your line if the corner closes up more than you'd anticipated, but the best (IM not so HO) way to ride on the road is riding the pace.

what im talking about. DAve your a legend.
1987 GPX250R. memories
2002 ZX7R . sold!!!!

I want My 7r BACK!!!!!!! Grrrrrr
gpxpunk
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby ijuschill » Sun May 24, 2009 6:35 pm

That is a good article Dave. Thanks for the link

BTW it was nice to meet you today and thanks to you for taking the missus out for a ride :kuda:
08 Yellow ZX6R Aka Bumblebee

The 6 is an addiction, but Green is for life! :kuda:
ijuschill
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R

Postby tim » Sun May 24, 2009 7:05 pm

gpxpunk wrote:
DMonkey wrote:Yea ive locked the back up a few times with the rear brake, though most deliberate..... My bad lol :) though on a straight so yea not like i was mid corner! May be riding nasho tomorrow, think we are gonna go old road to stanwell and through the nasho back, with my mate who has an R1 and by with i mean he will go hooning ahead and ill meet him whenever i get through it lol! Got no chance of keeping up with him! So if you see some noob on a Blue ZZR250 with L plates around feel free to laugh at me! :lol:

locking up the arse end is dangerous but funny, lucky the bikes are that light, you can just flick it around. alot of people say not to do this but when im dropping gears i flick the throttle aswell, keeps the rpms up, stops lock up and helps keep the speed when your going UP the old road. Also the zzr-gpx and 250r can keep up and sometimes over take the bigger bikes. remember alot lighter, you can out brake most big guns, and flick our 2fiddy's around nice. then again i shouldnt talk after the low side, but i learnt from my mistake.

...dunno if that's the kind of advice these guys need Punk. :?

Not intending to have a go at ya, just looking out for the guys. Having just got their Ls within a week or 2, and hardly being confident in traffic, knowing how to brake effectively, or keeping the bike upright, the last thing they should be thinking about is:

"keep up with and overtaking bigger bikes"
"out-brake most big guns"
"flick our 2fiddy's around"

until MUCH MUCH further down the learning curve!

And do a lot of people really say it's a bad thing to "blip" the throttle on down-changing to match engine and wheel speed? Sounds like good riding technique to me.

As far as you guys with your riding, GET THE BASICS RIGHT and set in stone, 'cause they're really all that matters if your intention is to enjoy yourself safely!

Buffering, scanning, braking, cornering, looking WHERE YOU WANT TO GO, low speed riding (revs up, turn your head etc), your comfort zone etc etc.

In order to do this I found it helpful to read the best books and think for yourself, and with that knowledge you'll know at least WHAT you should be doing, WHY, and HOW to do it, and be able to remind yourself if you get it wrong because you OWN the knowledge.

Keep YOURSELF in control of the bike and your environment, and avoid that which lets it go, everything you want will come with time.

:kuda:
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Dizzi » Sun May 24, 2009 7:09 pm

Yeah thanks Tim, the gang took me out this arvo/evening and I am more of a practical visual learner got so many good tips and practice stuff, dude ask the gang that took me out I scare way to easy to be thinking about braking the wrong way, as Cath said I think I out shatted myself today :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: but was so worth it and I felt so much better having big brothers and sisters taking care of me when riding today, was the best. :D :D :D :D
10 Green ZX6R

I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
Dizzi
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby ijuschill » Sun May 24, 2009 7:12 pm

That's some good solid advice Tim for us newbies.

That's the point of a forum alot of different people, with different advice and riding techniques, all of it to teach people the right and wrong way of riding

ijuschill
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby kevindinho » Sun May 24, 2009 8:14 pm

so any of you fellow noobies interested in joining me in the advanced stayup right course somtime after 20th june? im pretty sure they will teach us a couple of tricks ;)
When i grow up i want a ZX6R just like Rob Racer...

Craving PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE....mmmm
kevindinho
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Yamaha

Postby DMonkey » Sun May 24, 2009 8:23 pm

kevindinho wrote:so any of you fellow noobies interested in joining me in the advanced stayup right course somtime after 20th june? im pretty sure they will teach us a couple of tricks ;)

I would defiantly be keen to do this! Where at? How much? I was looking into these had a few ppl telling me these are really good, i know i t would be a good idea for me to do knowing the way i will ride lol though may have to be a few weeks after the 20th cause i get my wisdom teeth out on the 15th :( may be off the bike for a few weeks just depends on how quick the swelling and pain goes away!
Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...Holy shit...What a ride!
Team Crash '09', '10'
DMonkey
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

State: Victoria

Postby ijuschill » Sun May 24, 2009 8:37 pm

kevindinho wrote:so any of you fellow noobies interested in joining me in the advanced stayup right course somtime after 20th june? im pretty sure they will teach us a couple of tricks ;)

I would be interested also sounds like a good idea

ijuschill
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby smithy5 » Sun May 24, 2009 9:36 pm

ijuschill wrote:

DMonkey wrote:

I would defiantly be keen to do this! Where at? How much? I was looking into these had a few ppl telling me these are really good, i know i t would be a good idea for me to do knowing the way i will ride lol though may have to be a few weeks after the 20th cause i get my wisdom teeth out on the 15th :( may be off the bike for a few weeks just depends on how quick the swelling and pain goes away!

I would be interested also sounds like a good idea

Hey guys,
I don't know how much bike experience you have and I don't want to judge you. I'll just give you my 10 cents worth of opinion which may or may not help.....

I think the Advanced course is more design for experienced riders to sharpen their existing skills.. Stayupright also have an Intermediate course to cover the transition from Learner to Road rider. Either course is from about $280 - $395 depending on day and venue.... Most are at Oran Park, but check out the website for all the details.... http://www.stayupright.com.au/dates.htm

Here's a couple of flyers you can check out, might help also.........

http://www.stayupright.com.au/pdf/Intermediate_Course.pdf

http://www.stayupright.com.au/pdf/Advanced_Course.pdf
:kuda:
2013 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 Storm
Suzuki 1300 LillBusa Ute
Serviced by Allfixed Automotive Castle Hill PH: (02) 9634 1455
SRT Survivor & Oficial Photographer
smithy5
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Scooter

Postby kevindinho » Sun May 24, 2009 9:52 pm

Thanks smithy! It's probably a good idea to start off @ the intermediate doesn't hurt having more tuition and practice, well beside the wallet :(

P.S FARRK smithy ur bikes FARRKING HOT!!!
When i grow up i want a ZX6R just like Rob Racer...

Craving PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE....mmmm
kevindinho
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Yamaha

PreviousNext

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion