So i got my L's... what next

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

Re: So i got my L's... what next

Postby DMonkey » Thu May 21, 2009 12:06 am

Yea thanks guys, went out tonight and practiced breaking in the rain in some quiet streets around Cronulla was really good! Feeling a lot better now and getting better on the whole canceling the blinkers! Hopefully i can get some good practice in the next few nights and on the weekend! Hopefully be there for a Nasho run at from Loftus soon! :D
Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...Holy shit...What a ride!
Team Crash '09', '10'
DMonkey
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Don't have one
State: Victoria

Postby philbo » Thu May 21, 2009 12:18 am

fireyrob wrote:The biggest tip I can suggest is practicing a little each day rather than trying too much at once! I used to ride home on my 250 and do 7 or 8 u turns in a cul de sac on my way home each day. Like doing figure eights. Eventually it became second nature. At the start I thought WTF! Do that for a few weeks without worrying about the RTA test too much yet. Once confident mark out, cant remember the exact width, and try to do U turns both left and right within the required space. Once I could do that the RTA test was relatively easy and was able to use the MOST test day as more a learning experience than worrying about passing!

a good way of practicing u turns for the test is 2 carpark spaces with the middle line taken out.
tip make sure blinkers are off after a turn and watch side streets dont trust em and dont sit in a cars blindspot get in and outta the way quickly and safely. Best way i found to learn was ride with some1 who is confident on the road and watch what they do will help dramatically. Hope your riding goes well be safe and enjoy it :kuda:
KEEPIN'IT REAL ON THE WESS SIDE

DONT LET FEAR HOLD YOU BACK

Storm-010 white zx6r
philbo
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R
State: Western Australia

Postby kevindinho » Thu May 21, 2009 12:44 am

I wonder if its hard to make the u-turns on the ZZR250, i heard they were hard to turn. My ZXR sucks when it came to the u-turns i wasn't able to clear the 2 car park spaces, but then i didn't practice much. Guess its all about practice so Have fun practicing Dmonkey!!
When i grow up i want a ZX6R just like Rob Racer...

Craving PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE....mmmm
kevindinho
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Yamaha
State: New South Wales

Postby P4nza » Thu May 21, 2009 2:08 am

kevindinho wrote:I wonder if its hard to make the u-turns on the ZZR250, i heard they were hard to turn. My ZXR sucks when it came to the u-turns i wasn't able to clear the 2 car park spaces, but then i didn't practice much. Guess its all about practice so Have fun practicing Dmonkey!!

2 things...

1) as others will say in time is "LEAN THE FARKER"!! :kuda:
2) get a Tourer!! very good turning circles on those...like my GT550!.. i can make a u-turn in 1 1/2 car spaces... sometimes less!
2009 Kwaka Ninja 250R (Charlotte) Roady SOLD :'(
2010 Kwaka Ninja 250R SE (Jenny) Tracky SOLD :'(
Now i got no kwakas to ride! :\

"...I thought my tongue was longer than that!"

Team Crashed 2010 angry9.gif
P4nza
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Strika » Thu May 21, 2009 11:31 am

I feel that if your states licencing body has seen fit to grant you a learners permit, it suggests that you have enough skills to operate a motorcycle on public roads. I wouldn't be worrying about car parks, I would be getting out on the road and gaining some real world experiences. Nothing can replace road klms for learning. However, firstly you need to accept that you have an extremely high chance of crashing your bike. It's something most have done during the learning process. Those that havn't are probably not progressing very far. it is rare to see someone who has never crashed and yet can ride really competently and confidently! Bite the bullet and get out amongst the traffic. As I first stated, if they think you are competent enough to ride unsupervised on public roads, then you most likely are! Good luck and I hope you hit the hills sooner rather than later! 8)
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha

Postby Dizzi » Thu May 21, 2009 4:10 pm

Unfortunately Strika Sydney drivers are very, very, very none sympathetic to riders and even worse for learners so getting out onto Sydney roads asap isn't such a great idea well not me anyway I think the whole getting used to breaking and starting and practicing turnng blinkers on and off is a huge firsty, I would rather have all that under my belt before I get onto a Sydney road and have some impatient dum a** take me out, I want to be able to get out of their way fast rather than them clip me and not give a shit.
10 Green ZX6R

I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
Dizzi
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby fireyrob » Thu May 21, 2009 4:19 pm

The learners course was my first time ever. The next ride I had was my brand new Ninja 250 home in peak hour from Alexandria in Sydney! I think that was the best practice and eye opener I could have ever got :shock: Yep cage's are full of farkers and thats the way you should treat each of them! Trust no-one ;)

The longer you leave before you start heading into the traffic I think the harder it will be! Not saying to get amongst peakhour straight up but definately start heading out amongst it. If your that uncomfortable then maybe meet one of the regulars and follow them to the WGM on Friday night or something? Then your not alone! Im a few weeks away from being road legal but Im sure someone can help you before then!
09 ZX6R
03 Zthou
fireyrob
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Z1000

Postby Dizzi » Thu May 21, 2009 4:31 pm

Yeah maybe my other problem is I worked out I have literally only ridden five times so far, yeah that's right had the dam thing for almost a month, Hoffy actually sold it to us, and because I work during the day only time I can practice is at night, hopefully starting next week if the weather clears up will try and ride every night a bit and will get out on the main road then, I hear ya about traffic but if I can avoid an accident at all cost I think I will.
10 Green ZX6R

I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
Dizzi
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby DMonkey » Thu May 21, 2009 5:04 pm

Yea ive done some traffic, planning on riding to work at townhall not next week but the week after casue i start at 7:30 adn finish at 4 so traffic wont be as crazy! Probably gonna ride aroudn a bit tonigh to migh tdrop up to miranda as i need to grab some stuff jsut gonna have to put up with the irritating highschool kids around the place hahahah! Got a few mates with bikes so hopefully do a few rides with them this weekend weather pending! They are over the initial excitement of having a bike (had theirs for a while) and prefer to avoid rain lol!
Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...Holy shit...What a ride!
Team Crash '09', '10'
DMonkey
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Dizzi » Thu May 21, 2009 5:07 pm

Dam so how did you all bare the traffic so fast Townhall!!!! dude i take my hat of to you, I swear wish I had got my licence years ago when I was so fearless, wish I used to be the big adrenaline junkie I used to be and I would be out and about riding everywhere by now dam it. :x
10 Green ZX6R

Dizzi
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby P4nza » Thu May 21, 2009 6:47 pm

Whats so bad about town hall at 5 pm?? excellent chance to get into traffic and swerve in between cars!! :kuda:

P4nza
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Dizzi » Thu May 21, 2009 6:50 pm

I do dude I really take my hat of to you, I work up top of Hunter Street, I always check all the bikes out, and then I see how cars just don't give a dam to and dam I swear I almost slammed on the bonnet of a taxi the other day cause he cut a bike off, I think all cars should be taken off the road in the city and bikes should only be allowed how friggen awsome would that be. :kuda:
10 Green ZX6R

Dizzi
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Dizzi » Thu May 21, 2009 6:51 pm

Imagine the city night rides that would be so sweet, straight down Elizabeth Street :kuda: :kuda: :kuda:
10 Green ZX6R

Dizzi
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby P4nza » Thu May 21, 2009 6:54 pm

:lol: *drools*... maybe we can setup a night ride in the city? nothing to do with turns just a regular cruise in the city :kuda: After June of course!!

P4nza
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Dizzi » Thu May 21, 2009 6:57 pm

Ohhhhh i would love that but don't think I will have the confidence just yet, maybe in a couple of months, have to practice, practice, practice, love night riding already so city night riding is just going to be like you said droooooooooollllllllllll :P :kuda:
10 Green ZX6R

Dizzi
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion