So i got my L's... what next

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

So i got my L's... what next

Postby DMonkey » Wed May 20, 2009 11:12 am

So i got my l's yesterday and am wondering what everyone thinks i should be pactacing before i actually go out and ride... Skills so on and some tips on how to go about it...?
Exercises to try got a few good carparks to practice in.
Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...Holy shit...What a ride!
Team Crash '09', '10'
DMonkey
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Don't have one
State: Victoria

Re: So i got my L's... what next

Postby *Rach* » Wed May 20, 2009 11:31 am

Hey congrats !!!

Download the MOST practice test off the RTA website - and on weekends go to the carpark at Loftus tafe. They usually always have the witches caps out (when they are not their practicing themselves) and you can have a practice of the test (u turns, weaving etc etc).

When I got my L's I drove around our neighbourhood first, getting used to gear changing and indicating and all those things first before I ventured out onto the Highway. Just to get some confidence up. And I figured it would be safer for me to stall and make mistakes in streets I knew were dead quiet, than busy streets with impatient drivers.

Have fun !!
*Rach*
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Yamaha
State: New South Wales

Postby tim » Wed May 20, 2009 12:16 pm

Number one is Practice the stuff you were taught in your Ls!!!!!!

Number two, Practice the stuff you were taught in your Ls!!!!!! ;)

Yeah I agree with Rach, stay on quiet streets and build your confidence in the basics, then move slowly to longer rides and go further and further from home when you're ready.

I enjoyed practicing at night especially because the roads are quiet, and found commercial districts to be great places to do so.

Take it easy, ENJOY and get ready for the addiction :kuda:
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby P4nza » Wed May 20, 2009 1:04 pm

And dont do what i did going around the roundabout on Ferrers Rd going to eastern creek!! (50km/h around it and misjudging the exit...i ended up breaking a bit of the bike) :oops:
2009 Kwaka Ninja 250R (Charlotte) Roady SOLD :'(
2010 Kwaka Ninja 250R SE (Jenny) Tracky SOLD :'(
Now i got no kwakas to ride! :\

"...I thought my tongue was longer than that!"

Team Crashed 2010 angry9.gif
P4nza
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby robracer » Wed May 20, 2009 1:29 pm

P4nza wrote:And dont do what i did .....i ended up breaking a bit of the bike) :oops:

confidence inspiring words there Brian :lol:
My suggestion is don't rush in, take small steps & ..... most important......SCAN!
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby DMonkey » Wed May 20, 2009 2:24 pm

Thanks heaps guys i plan to go to a carpark tonght as long as the weather is fine and just accelerate and brake over and over again so if somethign does happen im confident to use my breaks! Think may be a good skill :) And that thing for the MOST test just printed it at work and that looks really helpful to! Hopefully ill be out for some weekend rides soon (though will prob take it a little easier then you guys) lol
:kuda:
PS Already got a kuda sticker for my bike off rooster just working out where to put it yay!
Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...Holy shit...What a ride!
Team Crash '09', '10'
DMonkey
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Dizzi » Wed May 20, 2009 2:31 pm

Some awesome tips here guys, I needed to read this stuff, feeling a lil disheartened at the moment as am not up to where I wanted to be as far as riding goes, but I think I will just stick to the local streets for a way bit longer practicing the stopping and starting, that is where I need to get it down packed. :oops:
10 Green ZX6R

I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
Dizzi
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby tim » Wed May 20, 2009 3:21 pm

DMonkey wrote:Thanks heaps guys i plan to go to a carpark tonght as long as the weather is fine and just accelerate and brake over and over again so if somethign does happen im confident to use my breaks! Think may be a good skill :) And that thing for the MOST test just printed it at work and that looks really helpful to! Hopefully ill be out for some weekend rides soon (though will prob take it a little easier then you guys) lol
:kuda:
PS Already got a kuda sticker for my bike off rooster just working out where to put it yay!

The "symmetrical kuda" stickers look the goods if you've got them :) Remember, PICS!
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby fireyrob » Wed May 20, 2009 4:43 pm

The biggest tip I can suggest is practicing a little each day rather than trying too much at once! I used to ride home on my 250 and do 7 or 8 u turns in a cul de sac on my way home each day. Like doing figure eights. Eventually it became second nature. At the start I thought WTF! Do that for a few weeks without worrying about the RTA test too much yet. Once confident mark out, cant remember the exact width, and try to do U turns both left and right within the required space. Once I could do that the RTA test was relatively easy and was able to use the MOST test day as more a learning experience than worrying about passing!
09 ZX6R
03 Zthou
fireyrob
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Z1000

Postby DMonkey » Wed May 20, 2009 4:47 pm

tim wrote:The "symmetrical kuda" stickers look the goods if you've got them :) Remember, PICS!

symmetrical kuda?
Where do i get one? I want :D
Ive oly got the single one!
Team Crash '09', '10'
DMonkey
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby robracer » Wed May 20, 2009 5:05 pm

DMonkey wrote:Where do i get one? I want :D

Here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23259&hilit=kuda+stickers
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby DMonkey » Wed May 20, 2009 5:14 pm

ok thats the one i got! i though it was 2 kudas that were symetrical!
Ill stick that one on as soon as i can work out where to put it lol
Team Crash '09', '10'
DMonkey
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby robracer » Wed May 20, 2009 5:24 pm

No ......they are now supplied as pairs ... mirror image ;)
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby gpxpunk » Wed May 20, 2009 7:22 pm

the practicing at night is the best thing coz you have more space in car parks. first ride was going from blacktown to penrith in peak hour traffic on the great western hwy. lol fun. but yeah best place i found was harvey norman complexs coz they are always empty, apart from sat and sunday. but yeah practice your brake and clutch thing. you'll need to master that coz its good for traffic and the test is basicly all about it.
1987 GPX250R. memories
2002 ZX7R . sold!!!!

I want My 7r BACK!!!!!!! Grrrrrr
gpxpunk
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby P4nza » Wed May 20, 2009 11:54 pm

robracer wrote:
P4nza wrote:And dont do what i did .....i ended up breaking a bit of the bike) :oops:

confidence inspiring words there Brian :lol:
My suggestion is don't rush in, take small steps & ..... most important......SCAN!

Isn't it? :lol:

But yeah on a more serious note... As others have said and im quoting one here, ALWAYS SCAN... there has been times where i forget to do that and when i merge lanes i have a big car beeping its head off... Also dont use an MP3 player like i do...(which im going to stop using because it gives me an adreneline rush) :oops: ...common sence really :lol: :kuda:

Goodluck mate and see u on the road soon!
2009 Kwaka Ninja 250R (Charlotte) Roady SOLD :'(
2010 Kwaka Ninja 250R SE (Jenny) Tracky SOLD :'(
Now i got no kwakas to ride! :\

"...I thought my tongue was longer than that!"

Team Crashed 2010 angry9.gif
P4nza
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Next

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion