2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: Kevin, did you get your P's ?????

Postby zx-10r » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:21 pm

Glen i agree about the situation with the specific girl and there may have been an array of factors, the biggest probably that she was hell nervous doing all that while the rest of the class, (guys) watched her. But this does not mean there are people who cannot ride and still get through the test and are let loose on the road.

Licensing in other countries, especially europe cost a fair bit more, but when you think about it, everytime you get a new card its costs $, then L's test, computer test, p's test, new card, unrestricted license $, + new card. it doesnt end up being as cheap.

I dont belive you have to be a valentino rossi to get your licence, just concerned that people think they can do it when they cant and are oblivious to the dangers. In the P's tst they give you a bit of a talk about road positioning etc but i dont think its enough.
not much anyone can do really, but if you know someone doing thier licence you could offer to ride around the back streets with them and give them a few tips about riding, better than finding out the hard way :D
Let the good times roll.

2007 zx-10R Gallery : http://www.flickr.com/photos/41942460@N ... 052319987/
zx-10r
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Glen » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:16 am

I think that if the instructor is doing his job properly though and a person was not safe on the road then that should be picked up in the road ride. On the road ride there is room for some judgement by the instructor and the ability to say I don't think you're safe enough on the road. It rarely happens though. If anything I think more focus should be put on that aspect then the actual test at the end. Unfortunately this would mean that more instructors are required and the cost to the operators would increase. The RTA has not really been willing to put any extra money into the scheme unfortunately and have left it as is since 1985

Overall though I still think the compulsory rider training programme in NSW is fairly good by comparison to others. I absolutely agree that more focus is needed on roadcraft though.
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby gpxpunk » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:35 pm

congrats Kev, i thought the l's and the most days are far to easy for roders and think they should focus more on the finer points of braking and less on the slowl speed handling. you get that practice in great western hwy traffic anyway. When i went for my MOST test, there was a couple of guys on cbr's having problems with the uturn, but then again there was others that had been on there l's for a full year and only rode a couple of times on the weekend, they still couldnt ride in a straight line ffs. i cant understand why this would be when i was riding everyday to work and riding everyday on the weekend, lol asoon as the 3 months were up i was off for my p's, but yeah leaving until the last minute and not having any skills, is insane... :kuda:
1987 GPX250R. memories
2002 ZX7R . sold!!!!

I want My 7r BACK!!!!!!! Grrrrrr
gpxpunk
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Don't have one

Postby mike-s » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:29 am

When i did my L's test 4 of the seven in the class failed. One girl who freaked out with poor hand positioning, straightened her arms and put the cb, at WOT into the baracades surrounding one of those rta trailers that have a generator & floodlights. Flipped the bike & screwed her ankle, i just looked up as i heard the engine screaming and caught a glimpse of her arse down in the dirt and the bike coming down on its crashbar (around the headlight) and on the handlebars, a good 6 feet away from her. A girl pulled out just after lunch and said she wanted to do some practice lessons before attempting to get her L's and lastly the couple in their 40's both didn't make it through.

Of the 3 that passed, we were all in our 20's, there was one girl, one guy (me) and something on a vtr250.
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Suzuki

Postby gpxpunk » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:44 pm

it suprises me how you could stuff up something like that.
1987 GPX250R. memories
2002 ZX7R . sold!!!!

gpxpunk
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby tim » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:41 pm

mike-s wrote:When i did my L's test 4 of the seven in the class failed.

:shock:

I've gotta wonder if maybe the instructor had something to do with that bad outcome !?

A couple of the guys in my course didn't have the coordination/2 wheel experience/ were really not naturally talented, but the instructor was really pretty good at getting them through and helping them out, working on their confidence and skills, and not allowing them (and all of us) into any risky situations.
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby gpxpunk » Fri May 01, 2009 5:13 pm

lol risky, its 25ks limits haha. then again the girl in our group ended up in the wall, coz she didnt look ahead and went straight instead of turning
1987 GPX250R. memories
2002 ZX7R . sold!!!!

gpxpunk
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Previous

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion