250 Ninja Speedo Issue

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

250 Ninja Speedo Issue

Postby SteveX » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:43 pm

Hi,

I have just purchased a Ninja 250 a week ago and have noticed that the speedo over-reads by about 5kph.

Does anyone know if this a common problem with this model?

Is it something that can be adusted? Would it be be covered under warranty?

Thanks.
SteveX

Bike: Ninja 250
State: ACT

Re: 250 Ninja Speedo Issue

Postby mike-s » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:04 pm

As it's likely a speedo that's run off the front wheel (and not electronic and run off the gearbox like the zx10's etc, which can be zeroed in with a speedohealer) and from the sounds of it, is within the ADR (Australian Design Rules) specifications, it is something that i can't see that they would try and fix. Technically this is because it is covered within the "0 - 10% over" segment of the design rules.

How i got around it is go and buy a sigma pushbike speedo and fit that to the front forks and mount it on the dash.
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Suzuki
State: New South Wales

Postby SteveX » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:22 pm

mike-s wrote:As it's likely a speedo that's run off the front wheel (and not electronic and run off the gearbox like the zx10's etc, which can be zeroed in with a speedohealer) and from the sounds of it, is within the ADR (Australian Design Rules) specifications, it is something that i can't see that they would try and fix. Technically this is because it is covered within the "0 - 10% over" segment of the design rules.

How i got around it is go and buy a sigma pushbike speedo and fit that to the front forks and mount it on the dash.

Thanks.

I just need to get used to it as there are an increaing amount of speed cameras popping up.
SteveX

Postby mike-s » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:39 pm

Well think this way, my bikes speedo runs 8km/h fast, so when it reads 110 im really doing 102km/h (give or take). Not really speeding and taking fuel or bathroom breaks into account the difference in the two speeds (real and indicated) makes a sum difference of 12 minutes on a trip from Canberra to Sydney.
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s

Bike: Suzuki

Postby SteveX » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:00 pm

mike-s wrote:Well think this way, my bikes speedo runs 8km/h fast, so when it reads 110 im really doing 102km/h (give or take). Not really speeding and taking fuel or bathroom breaks into account the difference in the two speeds (real and indicated) makes a sum difference of 12 minutes on a trip from Canberra to Sydney.

True.

Also getting used to the incorrect reading as far as cars up my arse.
SteveX

Postby Six Addict » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:19 pm

all speedos do it, its not an error in one sense of the word because kawasaki intentioanlly nuild in the error...

all it means for me is that if i find myself sitting on 85 for example i knwo im actually at 80 or under and this guves me piece of mind.

also bear in mind that most car speedos read over so the reason for people being up your arse all the time is that they are speeding anyway... regardless of your speedo error
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Postby Ratmick » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:46 am

The GPX250R was out by 10%, that was a pain in the arse.

Ended up putting a pushie speedo in like Mike suggested, the thing measured up to 299kph :shock:.

The only way a pushie would ever get that speed would be being dragged behind something rocket-powered on the Bonneville Flats...which is probably the only way a GPX250R would get to that speed either.

Mick 8)
Ratmick
Team Hornet

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Victoria

Postby craig » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:04 pm

just need to get used to it as there are an increaing amount of speed cameras popping up.[/quote]

you must live in victoria ................."the speed camera state "
craig
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning

Postby craig » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:06 pm

isn't there a lot of drug testing in the cycling world....ratmick...
craig
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning

Postby Johnnie5 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:37 pm

SteveX wrote:
mike-s wrote:As it's likely a speedo that's run off the front wheel (and not electronic and run off the gearbox like the zx10's etc, which can be zeroed in with a speedohealer) and from the sounds of it, is within the ADR (Australian Design Rules) specifications, it is something that i can't see that they would try and fix. Technically this is because it is covered within the "0 - 10% over" segment of the design rules.

Thanks.

I just need to get used to it as there are an increaing amount of speed cameras popping up.

the speedo reads faster than your actual speed ???

ADR is must not read slower than actual speed and 10% under is ok

no need to worry about speed cameras if your speedo is reading faster than actual speed
Johnnie5
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion