should i? or shouldnt i? 7 months to go!

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

Re: should i? or shouldnt i? 7 months to go!

Postby fireyrob » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:01 pm

If its your main transport I wouldnt do it... Had my zx10r since I got my P's and using it at trackdays to learn how to ride it! Problem is that its gone from a standard 10 to having stands, tyre warmers, raceglass, some mods, trailer, towbar on the car etc etc! The purchase price was just the start :roll: :lol:

In saying that its been a great way to learn how to ride the bike! Im still nowhere near all of the regular trackday pundits but believe Ive learnt a fair amount in regards to what the bike can do AND I CAN'T! Ill NEVER be as good as this or any other bike!!! Thats the essence of what Ive learnt! But its been heaps of fun learning :kuda:

So think about it, do you really need it right now? Can it wait for 7 months to get a newer bike then or the same bike you could get now cheaper? Can you afford to do what Ive done? The consequences even if your not at fault in a prang are IMHO way too serious!!! But like been's said its up to you if your up to wearing the consequences should shit happen!
09 ZX6R
03 Zthou
fireyrob
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Z1000
State: New South Wales

Postby gazza2008au » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:13 pm

the ZX6R or GSXR600 will have to wait i just brought another ZXR250 from another member here :kuda:
gazza2008au
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX7R

Postby gpxpunk » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:46 pm

good choice!
1987 GPX250R. memories
2002 ZX7R . sold!!!!

I want My 7r BACK!!!!!!! Grrrrrr
gpxpunk
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Don't have one

Postby zx-10r » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:14 pm

gazza2008au wrote:the ZX6R or GSXR600 will have to wait i just brought another ZXR250 from another member here :kuda:

psh 600.... get a 1000 :twisted:
Let the good times roll.

2007 zx-10R Gallery : http://www.flickr.com/photos/41942460@N ... 052319987/
zx-10r
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX10R

Postby gazza2008au » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:22 pm

lol i donno about that i havent rode a 600 yet altho been riding along time the little 250 is doing a good job done 140.8km ride today over a few hours there were a few times i would have loved to twist the throttle and pop the front wheel up along the high way :D :kuda:
gazza2008au
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby marksesh » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:46 am

Saki wrote:i did 8 months on my 636 on a 250 licence without any problems. Then i got caught and lost licence for 3 months, racked enough pts and lost it for another 3 months on top of that and then had to goto court!
But upto u! U r hte one that has to wear it. We will all tell u not to cause we can ride our big bikes so makes no real difference to us!

Plus why do you need to ask our permission? Just cause we say YEAH GO FOR IT, isn't going to make things easier with the police if you get caught, so hard fact is, u gotta decide!

Did u lose ur licence for riding the bigger bike? or was it a group of fines... speed bike etc
Team 4 minutes behind everyone else.
marksesh
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX12R

Postby zx-10r » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:14 am

gazza2008au wrote:lol i donno about that i havent rode a 600 yet altho been riding along time the little 250 is doing a good job done 140.8km ride today over a few hours there were a few times i would have loved to twist the throttle and pop the front wheel up along the high way :D :kuda:

i actually got the front up (not high) of my zzr250 unintentionally. Was turning into a street with a bit of a hill going from 1st to 2nd, absolutely wringing it and the front came up a bit 8)
Let the good times roll.

2007 zx-10R Gallery : http://www.flickr.com/photos/41942460@N ... 052319987/
zx-10r
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby maraach » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:05 am

Personally i would advise against it as well. You did the best thing buying another 250. 7 months is a long enough time to get pulled over at an RBT.

If you get caught, it's instant loss of license (and maybe you have to redo your p time from scratch?) as its one of the more serious offenses out there. Also, like others have said, if you are involved in an accident you are seriously screwed. You have no insurance, no third party, no anything as you aren't licensed for the vehicle you are using. Worth the risk? Think about if you hit a nice-ish car and cause $20k damage. Then think about the massive fines you will cop. Not really worth it imo.

In saying that, i got caught with no p plates speeding (double demerit points) 1 week before i went onto my full license and was lucky (in the timing) i didn't loose my p's. So i'm not the most sensible person out there. Just think it's not worth the risk. Everyone goes through the "i want a bigger bike, i'm over my 250", but honestly a couple years down the track it wont seem like a big deal at all.
maraach
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Suzuki

Postby maraach » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:08 am

marksesh wrote:Did u lose ur licence for riding the bigger bike? or was it a group of fines... speed bike etc

Instant loss of license and possible court appearance for riding a bigger bike than allowed - in NSW at least. Looked into it as my wife is only a few weeks away from her unrestricted and we have decided nowhere near worth the risk.
maraach
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Lone Wolf » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:47 pm

mick_dundee wrote:As Seiko says, thre are plenty that ride a bigger bike before they're allowed too, some get away with it, some get nabbed. What you really really don't want is to get into an accident on a bigger bike before you're allowed to ride it, you'll find TAC won't cover any injuries you sustain so if that means an ambulance ride to a hospital, mthen the bill is yours, whereas if you get into the same situ on the 2R TAC will cover it all, wages etc too.

Considering I got a very decent payout from an accident on my ZX7R while on my P's (and the police knew) I would have to disagree. My licence was never an issue.

maraach wrote:Personally i would advise against it as well. You did the best thing buying another 250. 7 months is a long enough time to get pulled over at an RBT.

If you get caught, it's instant loss of license (and maybe you have to redo your p time from scratch?) as its one of the more serious offenses out there. Also, like others have said, if you are involved in an accident you are seriously screwed. You have no insurance, no third party, no anything as you aren't licensed for the vehicle you are using. Worth the risk? Think about if you hit a nice-ish car and cause $20k damage. Then think about the massive fines you will cop. Not really worth it imo.

In saying that, i got caught with no p plates speeding (double demerit points) 1 week before i went onto my full license and was lucky (in the timing) i didn't loose my p's. So i'm not the most sensible person out there. Just think it's not worth the risk. Everyone goes through the "i want a bigger bike, i'm over my 250", but honestly a couple years down the track it wont seem like a big deal at all.

And unless its changed, it was only a $300 fine, nothing else at the time (2004)

Not condoning it however, you take your chances ;)
"Women are temperamental... half temper, half mental."

http://www.corporateboxgym.com.au
Lone Wolf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

State: Queensland

Postby moguai » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:00 pm

Grey Ghost wrote:Considering I got a very decent payout from an accident on my ZX7R while on my P's (and the police knew) I would have to disagree. My licence was never an issue.

Knew someone was going to pull me up on this.. Honestly, i'm just going off what i have found out by reading and asking questions here, i have no first hand experience apart from last time i was caught the police weren't much in the friendly mood. However it sounds like you were pretty lucky then mate. As i said, no idea about other states, but once again in NSW at least you are pretty well screwwed. PDS of both shannons and insuremyride state that if you arent lisenced for the bike you ride, then "you may not be insured". However, i think theft is a different issue as you can own a bike without a license for it.

See page 38 of the insuremyride PDS -

You are not covered if....

2. your bike was being ridden by a rider who was
unlicensed and had your permission to ride your bike.

and also the FAQ section http://www.insuremyride.com.au/help/faq.asp

Q. Am I covered if I ride a bike that I'm not legally licenced to ride?
A. No, you may not be covered if you are not licenced to ride that bike.

Grey Ghost wrote:And unless its changed, it was only a $300 fine, nothing else at the time (2004)

Sometimes i hate you Queensland guys.. seriously.. your laws seem a lot more reasonable than ours. http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulati ... ences.html. Here it is in our serious offences, which generally warrant possible suspension plus in this case a $405 fine. Plus let's be realistic, is he wearing his p plates on the bigger bike? chances are no, so there goes another $186 and 2 - 3 points.

Oh, and not sure how they enforce this but according to the law:

303. Variation, suspension or cancellation of driver
licence or permit
(1) The Corporation may vary, suspend or cancel a
person's driver licence or learner permit if it
appears to the Corporation that�

(i) the person has failed to comply with a
condition of the licence or permit; or

which leads to the next fun part with insurance...

Q. Can I get insurance if I've lost my licence?
A. No, we do not offer insurance to riders that have had their licence cancelled or suspended within the last 5 years.

I'm really not sure how they decide to apply a suspension or not, but once again, i wouldnt take the risk. The suspension period, plus another 12 months on a restricted license wouldnt be much fun.
moguai

Bike: ZX6R

Postby maraach » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:06 pm

bah sorry the above post was me... wife must have left herself logged in on my computer
maraach
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Lone Wolf » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:59 pm

Sorry to do this to you again, but I was living in Parramatta at the time, so all happened in NSW ;) :lol:
"Women are temperamental... half temper, half mental."

http://www.corporateboxgym.com.au
Lone Wolf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

State: Queensland

Postby maraach » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:48 am

All good mate :) I have just come to accept that you had some good luck there. With my luck chances are they would have also assumed i was a drug runner, gave me a body cavity search and then banned me for riding for life..... Though i do find what you have said interesting.. not enough to recommend the wife rides the 600 yet though ;)
maraach
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Saki » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:04 am

marksesh wrote:
Saki wrote:i did 8 months on my 636 on a 250 licence without any problems. Then i got caught and lost licence for 3 months, racked enough pts and lost it for another 3 months on top of that and then had to goto court!
But upto u! U r hte one that has to wear it. We will all tell u not to cause we can ride our big bikes so makes no real difference to us!

Plus why do you need to ask our permission? Just cause we say YEAH GO FOR IT, isn't going to make things easier with the police if you get caught, so hard fact is, u gotta decide!

Did u lose ur licence for riding the bigger bike? or was it a group of fines... speed bike etc

Na i didnt lose it for riding the bigger bike that was just money fine it was the other stuf i lost it for!
ZX-2R '88 -> ZX636 '06 -> ZX-9R '99 -> ZX-10R '04 -> Z1000 '03 -> ZX-10R '04 -> ZX-10R '08
Saki
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

State: Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion