OMG i think im gonna give up!

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

Re: OMG i think im gonna give up!

Postby Blurr » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:33 pm

the zx2r is a different engine that revs higher therefore under more pressure more often compared to the indistructable GPX
Chariot of Fury 50cc 2stroke Race bike
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby fadz90 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:39 pm

you have a point there dave but my expenses went to a new cam chain and tensioner which set me back $670, a full service, new battery , new chain and sprocket, new rear rbake rotor and pad, i have the front ones to do this weekend and i have a oil leak which is minor but getting fixed the next 2 weeks. before my bike was a hassel now she runs a dream after i gave it some tlc!
fadz90
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby gpxpunk » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:19 pm

fadz90 wrote:you have a point there dave but my expenses went to a new cam chain and tensioner which set me back $670, a full service, new battery , new chain and sprocket, new rear rbake rotor and pad, i have the front ones to do this weekend and i have a oil leak which is minor but getting fixed the next 2 weeks. before my bike was a hassel now she runs a dream after i gave it some tlc!

They love the tlc, yeah i have done the chain and sprokets aswell and the rear brakes and new radiator, but thats just old age stuff,

And yeah Russ i think these engines are indistructable, It is regularly up around 9-14 grand and never really gets hot or complains.
1987 GPX250R. memories
2002 ZX7R . sold!!!!

I want My 7r BACK!!!!!!! Grrrrrr
gpxpunk
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Don't have one

Postby fadz90 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:31 pm

end of the day, the second us l'z platers and p platers get onto our blacks, its see you later shitty 250 and bring on the boy boys toys! =]
fadz90
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby gpxpunk » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:43 pm

fadz90 wrote:end of the day, the second us l'z platers and p platers get onto our blacks, its see you later shitty 250 and bring on the boy boys toys! =]

Yeh bring on the 6
1987 GPX250R. memories
2002 ZX7R . sold!!!!

I want My 7r BACK!!!!!!! Grrrrrr
gpxpunk
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Don't have one

Postby ty » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:23 am

fadz90 wrote:end of the day, the second us l'z platers and p platers get onto our blacks, its see you later shitty 250 and bring on the boy boys toys! =]

I miss my GPX250 :(

To the OP, even if you want to replace the ZXR with something more reliable you'll probably have to fix it up somewhat to get something like your money back. So the suggestion to take it to Aitken's, or anyone with a good rep, is valid whichever way you go.
You never know - they may fix it up completely and make you happy ;)
ty
If you have no fear, you're not going fast enough.
Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
ty
Team Ninja

Bike: Honda

Postby maraach » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:25 am

Hmmmm i would have to stick with the original opinion here, i would be going for a simpler bike like a gpx/zzr/ninja250. I too would stay away from Bike Biz. However, I've owned a couple zxr's and as general consensus seems to get across, there are a few good ones out there, but they are few and far between. Also, the zxr250's are a bit of a finicky bike - you really need to know what you are doing and take constant care of them. Yes, they are a little hard to start, but not all that bad once you get the hang of them (though still more painful than one of the bikes mentioned above). Also, i have come across quite a few riding friends who swear their zxr's were broken, only to check them out for them and find out that they were ok - just very zxr250'ish (ie. very quirky). In all of those cases (which in all honesty were maybe 3 all up) the problems were largely solved when the person got used to the bike and what it required. Maybe as stated, take it to Aitkens to take a look at it, and give it another shot. Remember if you sell it, you are going to likely loose quite a reasonable sum of money.

A few recommendations - don't "warm up" the zxr at full choke... in fact, only warm it up for a small amount of time (not 5 - 10 mins) as the alternators in those bikes are just too small to charge the battery properly. In the end, my one was happiest when i just warmed it up for a minute or so, then rode it gently until it was properly warmed up. I also made sure i rode it over 8,000rpm (sounds high, but these bikes redline at 19k.. remember that). This seemed to sort out most of the battery issues i was having. Remember, these werent the most practical bikes ever built. They are also almost 20 years old. Consider learner bike + race bred thrash worthy + 20 years old and the fact problems will ensue is quite apparent. But hey, that could be conincedental and is just my 2c.

Before you go off and buy a hyosung, i would seriously suggest you do a google search on hyosung + problems. I think you will find just as many posts about them as you will with the zxr's. Your choice completely, but if you have already dropped that kind of money on a bike you will be getting rid of, dont go buy another lemon. As others have stated.. i owned a gpx as my first bike, and it was ugly as hell, i have no idea how many learners dropped that bike before me.... but at the same time, it just kept going and going and going. Personally my general opinion is to look at what kind of seller you buy the bike off. I have learnt that usually if you find a private seller who has really taken care of the bike and knows about it you will almost always get something better than you will from a dealer. The last 2 bikes i have bought from original owners who really loved them are in better condition than any bike i have ever seen in a bike yard, and cost significantly less too.
maraach
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Suzuki

Postby kevindinho » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:27 am

update pplz!!!

Well i sent it back to Bike Biz again, they test rode my bike for a couple of days and said everything was fine after replacing the spark plug and also the prime/reserve switch which apparently didn't go to reserve. I discussed my issues with them and they concluded that
1) could be my inexperience i.e flooding the trying to start it
2) the fuel i put in was 98.... suggested to go 95 from mobile or Caltex and stay away from BP?? the rich fuel may have caused the engine to run too rich
3) inexperience
4) inexperience

so I've been riding the bike the last couple of days i got it back and both days the bike has cut out on me
1st night after work after a great day out with no issues( F#$K it has been hot the last couple of days in syd...i wear all my gear) Reason: i wasn't in the right gear( causing the bike to jerk and then stall, is this correct?)
2nd night after work i didn't have enough fuel, bastards said they put in a full tank of fuel.....i made the mistake not to check, so i refueled parked the bike and went to my mates house for a few hours and then rode it back home with no problems.
I think it is my lack of experience BUT i think i'm gonna take it down to Atkins and get them to have a look, i''m just extremely paranoid now every time at the lights i worry if my bike will cut out.... i don't even have hazard lights and its extremely dangerous if the person behind is a nut case and decides to take off.

At the moment i'm not gonna give up on my kawa, i love the Inline 4 thats why i got it in the first place because of the performance just didnt know there was so many issues to be considered... they dont teach u everything at the learners course ( thank god for sites like this one!! *worships*) thanks everyone for your help and advice i still have lots more to learn. As some of you've said "end of the day, the second us l'z platers and p platers get onto our blacks, its see you later shitty 250 and bring on the boy boys toys! =]" *eyes out the 6s* CANT F@#$king WAIT!!!
When i grow up i want a ZX6R just like Rob Racer...

Craving PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE....mmmm
kevindinho
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Yamaha

Postby fadz90 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:52 am

hey kevin,
so what exactly is the problem with the bike?
not starting it first go? and cutting out?
i usually refuel from catlex using vortex 98 or bp 98 and have no problems what so ever ** fingers crossed** usually with startin it, try startin it with no throttle and abit of choke, depends on the bike i start mine different to all of my mates bikes.... it takes a while to get used to it..

i suppose the best way is try and learn your bike, it might sound like bullshit but thats how my bike strated to run well, a little bit of tlc and learn what needs to be done for it to keep on running order..

hope everything goes well for ya mate
fadz90
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby kevindinho » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:49 pm

Hey fadz!

The thing with my bike is not actually starting it...it usually starts without much of a issue, its when i actually ride the bike it cuts out at the lights or when i stop. It doesn't happen all the time so i dunno whats going on and the ppl at bike biz didn't have any issues when they test rode the bike for a few days. I'm really confused and contemplating on trading it in for one of those Ninja 250s.....as for the fuel the dude @ Bike Biz said that the 98 octanes are not good for the bike, and it can flood the spark plugs...im not even too sure about that one because one of my mates said suggested me to use 98 and says his never heard of that one before. I also have spark plugs that foul really really easily, if i start the bike and don't ride it it usually fouls, does this occur with all bikes?
When i grow up i want a ZX6R just like Rob Racer...

Craving PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE....mmmm
kevindinho
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Yamaha

Postby ty » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:16 am

I forgot to mention :oops: that I actually had a similar problem on my GPX250 when I first got it.
The bike shop where I bought it 'said' they re-serviced it each time I brought it back, but it wasn't until I took it somewhere else and had them do the service that it got sorted.

The main problem was that the carbs needed a cleanout and the float-levels set properly.
So see what Aitkens can do.
ty
If you have no fear, you're not going fast enough.
Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
ty
Team Ninja

Bike: Honda

Postby fadz90 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:55 am

hrmm, well i think it depends on what your carbies have been tuned to, running 98 is fine with my bike and as for the cutting out, at what idle does it sit at, maybe its idling to low, sometimes at the traffic lights i like to keep a lil rev build up so it dosen't seem like its going to turn of, not that it would with my bike... try using different petrol and see how you go.. and ats TY said you might want to get ur carbies check out or try using better spark plugs, iridums or something good, just experiment a little bit and see how it goes.

fadi.
fadz90
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Previous

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion