bout to buy my first bike

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

Re: bout to buy my first bike

Postby robracer » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:16 pm

:lol: de restricted my CB250RR tracky reved to 22,000....... buzzin its brains off :P
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Postby mike-s » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:18 pm

18000rpm redline, the answer to sounding like your going somewhere while your just coming out of the driveway.
My first encounter with a cbr250 (another I4 250) was when we were all stopped for a break on the return of a trip through bells line of road and we heard what sounded like a bike screaming along. Someone on the ride joked that "it was either a suicidal manial or someone on a cbr250", sure enough 5 seconds later someone on a cbr250r came around the corner at no more than 50km/h with the thing screaming its tits off.

back on topic,
1) personally i wouldnt go for a zxr250, a gpx/zzr250 would be much preferred, way more parts available if the inevitable happens.
2) that guy by the side of the road, I just dont understand it. Ffs, either you know hwo to fix it, and you ACTUALLY FIX IT, or just lash out the money and pay someone else to FIX those problems so you don't have to deal with them.
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Suzuki

Postby Strika » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:28 pm

The inline fours are like riding a two stroke. It's peak revs or they don't move. If it was a 250 that I had to have, I would look at either a ZZR/GPX or maybe a Ninja. A single would be better than a four I reckon. But, why not go a Lams bike now that Vic is in the Lams game. A nice 400 4 Cylinder or even an older 500 or 650 four would be faster. A good old Z500 would be a mint bike to go kill yourself on. They will do near 200kph and they don;t stop or steer either! Perfect for a learner! :kuda:
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby Phil » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:14 pm

I have heard of very few people that have purchased a grey import $ cylinder 250 that have not spend a farking fortune in repairs and maintenance. I'd stay away from them but hey, we can only offer advice ;)
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby fadz90 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:27 pm

hey mate, just keep in mind the zx2r is a old bike, mine is a 95 model and i had to go through a fair bit of repairing to get it running well, try to steer clear fromt he grey imports, but hell, if you really want one, get one but take a mechanic with you and try and look in the papers or private sales.. you never know what pops up.
fadz90
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Conan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:54 pm

Phil wrote:I have heard of very few people that have purchased a grey import $ cylinder 250 that have not spend a farking fortune in repairs and maintenance. I'd stay away from them but hey, we can only offer advice ;)

Well, I paid two grand for my little zxr, another two grand to get it registered and roadworthy (cleaning up the engine, fork seals, new tyres, brake pads etc), and now have a bike that's running pretty well. It's awesome and I love it. But ... really, it's still just another 250. A zzr/gpx would probably have done just as well (although I think mine'll be a bit more fun, especially at the track).

It's your first bike, so you're going to love it regardless.

PS. the fuel range on the inline fours are crap, so if that's a consideration, definitely go for a gpx (which get 4 rather than 7L per 100k ...)
Conan

Bike: ZX2R
State: ACT

Previous

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion