shopping center car parks!

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

shopping center car parks!

Postby LordAramid » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:54 pm

I did what you said and just bit the bullet, started to ride to and from the train station to get to work - I catch the city train from Macarthur, and there is a huge shopping complex there, a Westfield. What I learned about them is firstly, gloves are for stashing tickets, not teeth.. and secondly, never follow a car downhill into a boom gate. especially not a car with a fat, crabby bogan inside who mashes the ticket machine buttons until it breaks and she is told via intercom to back out and go through the exit lane.
so the fat, crabby bogan was drumming her fingers on the door waiting for me to push my bike backwards uphill one big toe at a time :x that sucked, i ended up having to get off and push.

I feel a lot more confident now, I can see what i need practise in, and what just needs fine tuning, and having a totally awesome time, even on the boiling hot sticky days. i had a bit of trouble at a huge roundabout, its hard for me to understand who has right of way, and people are so impatient they are seeing gaps and just rushing in, so i end up standing waiting for a big gap, but i suppose there's no harm in that. Its mostly because i need to practise accelerating away from a standstill as quickly as possible - my little bike kinda creeeeps out with a squeal that sounds a lot worse than it is. :D

Another thing I'm getting good at is night riding, as i dont get home until 10pm, i don't really like riding in the dark, its bloody hard to see anything, and I'm never quite sure of what could happen, so i go slower than i should. is 40 in a 60 zone too slow at night? if there isn't any other traffic does it matter how slow i go?
LordAramid

Bike: ZZR250
State: New South Wales

Re: shopping center car parks!

Postby Six Addict » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:01 pm

good stuff aramid... ride at whatever pace you feel comfortable... i sometimes still wait for big gaps in traffic at intersections or roundabouts so thats nothing unusual... ;)

good to see the bug has bitten and that you are realistic about your skills and what you need to practice... 8)

Owen
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Postby red_dave » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:11 pm

LordAramid wrote:fat, crabby bogan

Ahhh... I miss the Riff sometimes :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you're not impeding traffic then ride as slow as you want. Good work btw! ;)
red_dave
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Bike: ZX6R
State: Queensland

Postby bonester » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:18 pm

A tip for roundabouts is to not rely on peoples indicators because they are frequently wrong, but to watch the direction of the front wheels- they always point to where they are going. A car exiting on your exit is your best mate coz they hold everyone else up for you and you can go at your leisure. :D
2 X ZRX1200R 4 X ER6N, GT550, 1988 ZX-10, 4 X GPZ250R, 4 X GPZ900R and GPZ750R :) Yeah I like Kawasakis.
bonester
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby corvus2606 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:50 pm

If you wanna learn round abouts, come to canberra.

Give it a weekend and youll be a pro.

best advice, If your going straight or turning left, keep to the left lane, that way you only have to worry about people going straight, takes one section of the round about out of what you need to concentrate on. also, the car in the right lane will protect you when you pull out if they go at the same time. other than that, find a gap and gun it, get out of there ASAP, and watch for people trying to take the 'racing line' through and cutting into your lane(my strongest hate)

and always watch drivers as well as their wheels, they will (almost) always be looking where the want to be. with a combination of both, it gets pretty easy to read what someone will do.
2002 GPX250 - Gone
2003 ER-5 - Gone
1986 GPZ1000rx - Under Construction
corvus2606
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ER5
State: ACT

Postby lifeofcrimeguy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:45 pm

Nice to hear Aramid. I often find the hardest part a learner has to deal with is realising how much they have to learn and critiquing themselves as you have done. This will put in good stead for being a better rider. And you're a nicer person than I. Such calm when forced to push your bike up hill :) . Night time is one of the best times to learn in some ways. With noone around, you can learn at your own pace as you have been. Have fun. 8)
See here, young man,
From Walgett to the sea,
From Conroy's Gap to Castlereagh,
There's none can ride like me.

-- Banjo Paterson
LMFAO
lifeofcrimeguy
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX6R

Postby the kid » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:24 pm

Good on ya Lord , keep at it and the confidence will grow . Your caution and desire to learn will help keep you safe . Check out a new globe for the Zeddy . Might find a brighter light to help at night and dont be afraid of putting on the high beam around the burbs if there are no oncoming cars .
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby Shifty » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:25 am

On a roundabout you need to give way to your right, but also allow for the fact that even if you have right of way it will still hurt so make sure you look what is happening all around you. Definitely don't trusy indicators or car attitude as people often change their mind half way through a roundabout.

40 in a 60 zone is definitely too slow, it's dangerous. If you can't see far enough ahead then you need your eyes checked, you should be able to see without a problem.
Shifty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX12R
State: Queensland

Postby Six Addict » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:17 am

at night shifty...
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Postby gpxpunk » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:53 am

I remember my first proper ride, it was at 9pm on a sunday night riding from blacktown to werrington downs on the grest western hwy haha that was fun.
1987 GPX250R. memories
2002 ZX7R . sold!!!!

I want My 7r BACK!!!!!!! Grrrrrr
gpxpunk
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Don't have one

Postby ZXR750 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:10 pm

gpxpunk wrote:I remember my first proper ride, it was at 9pm on a sunday night riding from blacktown to werrington downs on the grest western hwy haha that was fun.

Show some respect. Werrington Downs should always be in capital letters. A place that so close to both the Lawson and the Gaels demands respect.
;) ;) ;)
Remember, half the people you know are below average.
Bike 93 ZXR750
05 ZRX1200
05 DRZ400
ZXR750
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZXR750

Postby gpxpunk » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:42 am

ZXR750 wrote:
gpxpunk wrote:I remember my first proper ride, it was at 9pm on a sunday night riding from blacktown to werrington downs on the grest western hwy haha that was fun.

Show some respect. Werrington Downs should always be in capital letters. A place that so close to both the Lawson and the Gaels demands respect.
;) ;) ;)

HaHaHa, Respect Mmmmmmm yeah ok I like my Suburb So here you go Werrington Downs, The Happy Suburb!!! 8)
1987 GPX250R. memories
2002 ZX7R . sold!!!!

gpxpunk
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Saki » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:00 am

maybe my piece of advice is, only ride when you dont need to rush and you can just go at your own pace. When riding is new to you, you should have a clear mind so you can focus on what your doing, you dont want to have thoughts of work, rushing, peak hour traffic etc etc running through your mind while trying to get the hang of riding.
Unless you feel confident!

round abouts like others are saying, dont rely on drivers knowing anything even if you have a sign on your bike saying where you are going, Mum in yer Land Cruiser Patrol Tank will have a brain fart and do all wacko things! I see it all the time.

So just confirm with yourself that people have stopped and give yourself room to dodge!
Also use more rear brake through the corners with some throttle power to make yourself smooth, it will keep your steady also.
ZX-2R '88 -> ZX636 '06 -> ZX-9R '99 -> ZX-10R '04 -> Z1000 '03 -> ZX-10R '04 -> ZX-10R '08
Saki
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX10R
State: Western Australia

Postby gpxpunk » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:39 pm

The worst things about car parks is when you get the bloody ticket, haha i have no where to put it so i have it either in my hands while riding or in my mouth lol
1987 GPX250R. memories
2002 ZX7R . sold!!!!

gpxpunk
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Saki » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:44 pm

gpxpunk wrote:The worst things about car parks is when you get the bloody ticket, haha i have no where to put it so i have it either in my hands while riding or in my mouth lol

well unless u have an open face helmet, count that option out!
ZX-2R '88 -> ZX636 '06 -> ZX-9R '99 -> ZX-10R '04 -> Z1000 '03 -> ZX-10R '04 -> ZX-10R '08
Saki
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX10R
State: Western Australia

Next

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion