Re: newb and i have questions:D

Postby UR510 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:32 pm

thanks boys, im gonna do it and ill let ya know how i go
UR510

Bike: Don't have one
State: New South Wales

Postby ZXR750 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:54 am

When you flush the radiator use distilled water as different coolants will react with each other and can form sludging.
As for the colour that is only food dye and different brands use different colours. Green is the most common but mine is Purple.
When you use the coolant make sure you don't change brands to top up with. Make sure the coolant has approx 50% glycol and also DCA asdditive. If you buy a concerntrate don't mix with tap water use distilled. The chemicals in tap water can crystalise.
Remember, half the people you know are below average.
Bike 93 ZXR750
05 ZRX1200
05 DRZ400
ZXR750
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZXR750

Postby Saki » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:00 pm

i was going to say, but i was beaten to it, Toyota has a Red Coolant, which BMW also advises you use. When i had the Twin Turbo Supra, its strongly advised to run the red stuff.

I had the same bike as you did and the coolant should be green! So drain it, flush it out and fill it with green stuff!
ZX-2R '88 -> ZX636 '06 -> ZX-9R '99 -> ZX-10R '04 -> Z1000 '03 -> ZX-10R '04 -> ZX-10R '08
Saki
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX10R
State: Western Australia

Postby UR510 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:57 pm

hey guys,

the other day i was ready to drain my raditor and do the coolant thing BUt i was @ uni and sum guy said i need pegs and stands in order to do it properly????

is that correct ?? do i need to buy pegs and stand for both the fron and rear of my bike?
UR510

Postby Rusty » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:00 pm

Stands for a coolant flush? Tell that guy he has no idea. You can do it easily on the side stand.
Rusty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX9R
State: Queensland

Postby IsleofNinja » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:23 am

Ok guys and Gals , so we are all crystal clear / on the same page - The colour of the coolant (new) doesn't mean much.

Ie Green coolant could be ; Castrol RCI , BP premixed , Flowcleen , Tecktaloy ,Afloc , GMH green (V6) or some cheap brand useless shiiite !!!
Blue coolant could be the older FoMoCo , Fleetguard ,etc
Red coolant could be Toyota long life coolant (50/50),Toyota LLC concentrate , Caltex Delo long life , and so on
Orange is normally Genuine GMH (V8), Genuine Ford.
Pink is Afloc 2000 and some others ......etc, etc

As RR , ZXR750 etc mentioned , DO NOT mix up a coolant cocktail!!

Always use distilled water at correct ratio when using a 50/50 or concentrate.

Now bearing in mind that all our bikes have sweet fark all coolent in them (ie 2-3lt maybe!?) we can all afford to use the good stuff and change it at least every year.

Proven coolants IMO are ; Fleetguard Tec 50 / Tec PGXL , Toyota Long life 50/50 (not concentrate) , Castrol RCI concentrate , Caltex Delo LLC , BP premixed.

Steer well clear of ; Cheap K mart type shit! , Tecktaloy , GMH green , flowcleen and DEFINITELY NO AFLOC 2000!!! / CAT coolant (eats alloy!!)

FYI I always use ordinary old tap water to flush / backflush - You won't get built up scale out with a bottle of distilled!?
If you are draining the cooling system properly it isn't going to be an issue.
-Pays to remove the coolant recovery bottle on older bikes and fill with a handful of ball bearings / nuts etc and shake the shit out of it plus flushing to get all the built up sediment out (brown shit) before you fill with new coolant.
-Check the pressure cap from time to time particularly the rubber seal etc , If in doubt replace it with the CORRECT pressure recovery cap.

8) 8)
06 ZX10r , 95 ZX9r
97 GSF1200 project streetfighter
07 FXST

EXPERIENCE:ex_spear_ee_anse :noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest or internet.
IsleofNinja
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby UR510 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:20 pm

hey boys, please to say it all went smoothly.....

its very easy and str8 froward no problem at all...and jst a curious question, zx250r can run on destilled water??? instead of coolant like any old cars. but its jst much better to have coolant in them ??
UR510

Postby robracer » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:29 pm

UR510 wrote:hey boys, please to say it all went smoothly.....

its very easy and str8 froward no problem at all...and jst a curious question, zx250r can run on destilled water??? instead of coolant like any old cars. but its jst much better to have coolant in them ??

Any type of water will rust the internal components.... (yes the radiator is not all aloy) especially if the bike is sitting around for long periods of time with water in the system.
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby IsleofNinja » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:26 pm

UR510 wrote:hey boys, please to say it all went smoothly.....

Old cars should run proper coolant also - It just wasn't as available back in 1940!?----They still rusted internally though!!Any water cooled engine should run a decent quality coolant as discussed prior if you want it to last.
06 ZX10r , 95 ZX9r
97 GSF1200 project streetfighter
07 FXST

EXPERIENCE:ex_spear_ee_anse :noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest or internet.
IsleofNinja
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Previous

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion