Congratulations Dale!

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

Congratulations Dale!

Postby Shifty » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:32 am

Congratulations on passing Q-Ride Dale, you are no longer welcome in this section :lol:
Shifty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX12R
State: Queensland

Re: Congratulations Dale!

Postby Six Addict » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:56 am

congratulations dale....

and you are still welcome in this section... after all you still ride a lams approved bike, and are still relatively new to this world of motorcycling :lol:
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati
State: New South Wales

Postby Glen » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:55 am

Congratulations. There's nothing quite like seeing the look on a learners face when you tell them they've just passed :) :)

Well actually there is one thing. You wait till they get to the end, tell them they made one little mistake and that they'll have to come back next week, and then you go Naaaaahh just kidding you passed. As soon as they stop clubbing you over the head with their helmet they smile a lot :) :)

Take it easy out there
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby Six Addict » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:59 am

you're a cruel man glen, a cruel cruel man :twisted:
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Postby Possum » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:13 pm

Woot Congrats!.. Take care out there and go enjoy the good weather!!
It all comes down to how you ride it.....
Possum
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z1000
State: Western Australia

Postby Shifty » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:19 pm

The text message read: "Well unfortunately I won't be doing any more rider training with Pro Honda... BECAUSE I PASSED!!!!
Shifty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby red_dave » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:19 pm

I thought they shit-canned Q-Ride... dontknow.gif

Congrats either way Dale! ;)
red_dave
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Shifty » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:23 pm

red_dave wrote:I thought they shit-canned Q-Ride... dontknow.gif

Congrats either way Dale! ;)

Nope, they just shitcanned the part where you can go straight to an unrestricted license.

When I did it, Q-Ride invovled a video, a slalom, some figure 8s and a 20 minute road ride on a 500cc bike... so I was safe & ready to ride a ZX10R :roll:

Now it's been changed, you do it on a 250cc bike to get your 250cc license... then after you've held that for 12 months you're eligible to do it again on a 251cc+ bike to get your unrestricted license. THEN you're ready to safely ride a Crim.
Shifty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Lainie » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:01 pm

Congrats Dale :P
Lainie
Team Ninja

Bike: ER6
State: Victoria

Postby Rusty » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:15 pm

Shifty wrote:When I did it, Q-Ride invovled a video, a slalom, some figure 8s and a 20 minute road ride on a 500cc bike... so I was safe & ready to ride a ZX10R :roll:.

When I did it, it was 4 hours theory, another 4 hours of practice in a closed area and what turned out to be a 3 hour test ride both out in the hills and in heavy traffic.
Rusty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX9R

Postby Shifty » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:24 pm

Mine went for about six hours:

Idenfity operational parts of motorcycle - tyres, chain, fuel tank, headlight, horn button, etc
Stop/start bike and do laps of carpark in second gear
Ride bike at walking pace by riding clutch/rear brake
Low-to-moderate speed slalom through about 8 halved tennis balls
Watch video & discuss
Brake from 40km/h in 15 (18?) metres
Figure eights - 4 in two minutes or something
Countersteer to swerve at moderate speed
Road ride around a few back streets, stop for lunch, then go on the highway for 1km and then off the first exit, then abck to the carpark & thanks for coming here's your license...
Shifty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Black Magic » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:54 pm

Yeehaa! Well done! 8)

'Life is short- break the rules.
Forgive quickly,
Kiss slowly,
Love truely,
Laugh uncontrollably,
And NEVER regret anything that made you smile.'

GSXR 600 K7 'Black Magic'
Black Magic
Team Suzuki
Team Suzuki

Bike: Suzuki

Postby dalecati » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:36 pm

Shuuuuucks, thanks guys! Yes, I made it through Q-Ride last Monday and got my RE license, although let me assure you - it was not without hiccups!

I decided to take the zzr because I just wasn't confident doing my test* on a new bike and having to learn how to do figure 8's etc. on it. As it turned out, I dropped the zzr during my figure 8's and snapped the clutch lever clean off. :oops: Luckily enough there were only 3 of us on the day, which meant I got special treatment and was allowed to get used to the new bike first (CB250) before my second attempt at the doing 4 figure 8's in 60 seconds. The instructor was very understanding and let me practise for another 10 minutes before deeming me "competent" on the CB250**.

Taking it out for a road ride was kind of scary though because the gear shifter was set differently to the zzr, and the handlebars felt SO HIGH! Didn't have any issues on the road though, except a few cut off's from stupid car drivers. One of the times I was anticipating it though, because my work is on the street of the T intersection where it happened and I know it can be difficult to see what's coming from the left if you are trying to make a right hand turn and there is a car next to you waiting to turn left too. I'm pretty sure I was already on the brakes before the car even accelerated. Nothing like being prepared, hey? 8)

Haven't gone for my first "alone" ride yet, although it's not really a priority for me at this stage. Happy to continue riding with Shifty but let me tell you, it feels so good to be rid of my "L" plate!

Yay, happy riding!

*I know it's meant to be all about competency, but as far as I'm concerned if you are being assessed and categorised as a pass or fail, it is still a test!
**If I passed my Q-Ride on a CB250, that means I'm awesome, right? :lol:
dalecati

Bike: ZZR250

Postby Shifty » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:34 am

dalecati wrote:Shuuuuucks, thanks guys! Yes, I made it through Q-Ride last Monday and got my RE license, although let me assure you - it was not without hiccups!

I decided to take the zzr because I just wasn't confident doing my test* on a new bike and having to learn how to do figure 8's etc. on it. As it turned out, I dropped the zzr during my figure 8's and snapped the clutch lever clean off. :oops: Luckily enough there were only 3 of us on the day, which meant I got special treatment and was allowed to get used to the new bike first (CB250) before my second attempt at the doing 4 figure 8's in 60 seconds. The instructor was very understanding and let me practise for another 10 minutes before deeming me "competent" on the CB250**.

Taking it out for a road ride was kind of scary though because the gear shifter was set differently to the zzr, and the handlebars felt SO HIGH! Didn't have any issues on the road though, except a few cut off's from stupid car drivers. One of the times I was anticipating it though, because my work is on the street of the T intersection where it happened and I know it can be difficult to see what's coming from the left if you are trying to make a right hand turn and there is a car next to you waiting to turn left too. I'm pretty sure I was already on the brakes before the car even accelerated. Nothing like being prepared, hey? 8)

Haven't gone for my first "alone" ride yet, although it's not really a priority for me at this stage. Happy to continue riding with Shifty but let me tell you, it feels so good to be rid of my "L" plate!

Yay, happy riding!

*I know it's meant to be all about competency, but as far as I'm concerned if you are being assessed and categorised as a pass or fail, it is still a test!
**If I passed my Q-Ride on a CB250, that means I'm awesome, right? :lol:

It's amazing that a CB250 ran long enough for you to get your license, being a Ho... Hooo...Hooooo.... one of those ;)
Shifty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Shifty » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:28 am

Latest update, a run over Nebo & Glorious at a leisurely pace!

Shifty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion