Interstate laws

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

Re: Interstate laws

Postby smek » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:41 pm

aardvark wrote:We had a further discussion in relation to this exact topic in our office this morning. 95% of us are in agreement that the licence condition is just that..... a condition of the licence. Meaning, it would need to be followed regardless of the state or territory you are in.

I am currently attempting to seek clarification of this matter via other sources.

Interesting. I am still on my car L's (why would I need a car license*?) that has been transferred onto a NSW license from a VIC one. The only condition that is listed on the back is 0 BAC. Does that mean I'm exempt from the stupid speed rule?

*Yes I'm planning on getting it soonish - the L's expires in 3 years (had it for 7)
smek
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby aardvark » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:53 pm

smek wrote:Interesting. I am still on my car L's (why would I need a car license*?) that has been transferred onto a NSW license from a VIC one. The only condition that is listed on the back is 0 BAC. Does that mean I'm exempt from the stupid speed rule?

If you are he holder of a NSW learners permit, then you now need ot abide by their learner conditions.
aardvark
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Yamaha
State: South Australia

Postby Jonno » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:54 pm

aardvark wrote:I spoke with our liason with the SA dept of transport today. They agree with my understanding of the law. The licence conditions are just that, conditions for that licence, and as such, they need to be complied with, regardless of what state you happen to be in.

Cool, the clarification is what I thought it would be but not like i would want it to be if it was me, understand me? :?

:roll: :D

Makes sense. 8)
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Queensland

Postby DaveGPz » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:57 pm

aardvark wrote:We had a further discussion in relation to this exact topic in our office this morning. 95% of us are in agreement that the licence condition is just that..... a condition of the licence. Meaning, it would need to be followed regardless of the state or territory you are in.

I am currently attempting to seek clarification of this matter via other sources.

Thanks all

I can't say how grateful I am for the effort you've put in to sort this out. The last thing she wants is to inadvertantly come to the attention of the law - they may not all be as enlightened as the mighty 'vark!

What if we take a LAMS bike on Ls from Vic to SA?
"I just want to ride" Joe Satriani, Ride, 1989
DaveGPz
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning
State: Victoria

Postby aardvark » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:29 pm

DaveGPz wrote:What if we take a LAMS bike on Ls from Vic to SA?

I believe the Vic LAMS list is the same as the SA LAMS list.
aardvark

Postby DaveGPz » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:24 pm

:oops:
DaveGPz
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Saki » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:08 pm

Once cool thing is, my step dad got caught speeding, we currently live in tassie, but cause he sitll has his QLD licence, the ticket was issued, he paid the money and received 0 points even thought it had 3 points attached to it!

so $110 fine and 0 points is pretty good!
ZX-2R '88 -> ZX636 '06 -> ZX-9R '99 -> ZX-10R '04 -> Z1000 '03 -> ZX-10R '04 -> ZX-10R '08
Saki
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX10R
State: Western Australia

Postby Bogan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:20 pm

Yer me thinketh the states' infringement systems don't talk too well to each other, but shhh don't tell anyone...
Tony

I have become race...

the kid wrote:But remember one thing , Dave #3 watches videos of rampant Circus Ponies every time Cath goes down the street shopping so dont listen to anything he says . :twisted:
Bogan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Other Kawi
State: ACT

Postby z900/zx9 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:11 pm

DaveGPz wrote:Hoping someone can help with this one - some friends of ours are coming over from Adelaide next week; one of them is still on her Ls, and in SA that means she's restricted to 80kph. What happens when she crosses the border into our great police state of Victoria. Does our surprisingly enlightened :P 100kph L limit apply?
Yep the law is the law and that can be writen on her cast as thousands of Vics run her over or abuse her for doing 80ks,as if the SA plates are not enough of a target ;)
http://tinypic.com/hu369k.jpg[/img]
[b]Z900, z900RS , H2 Ninja 1000 Supercharged. FPV Supercharged Pursuit ute..
z900/zx9
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby DaveGPz » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:30 pm

z900/zx9 wrote:
DaveGPz wrote:Hoping someone can help with this one - some friends of ours are coming over from Adelaide next week; one of them is still on her Ls, and in SA that means she's restricted to 80kph. What happens when she crosses the border into our great police state of Victoria. Does our surprisingly enlightened :P 100kph L limit apply?
Yep the law is the law and that can be writen on her cast as thousands of Vics run her over or abuse her for doing 80ks,as if the SA plates are not enough of a target ;)

If she makes it that far - remember most SA freeways are 110kph. What's a major cause of accidents? Speed differentials. Wouldn't you love to be stuck at 80 on the SE freeway with a B double doing 110 up yer clacker... :shock:
DaveGPz
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby corvus2606 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:32 pm

easiest rule of thumb to follow, is the strictest law applies. If you are limited to 80 in your state, then you must stick to 80.

If you are, for example, from the ACT, where no speed limit applies, you must adhere to the limits of other states when you pass into them.

bike size limits also apply when you enter other states.
2002 GPX250 - Gone
2003 ER-5 - Gone
1986 GPZ1000rx - Under Construction
corvus2606
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ER5
State: ACT

Postby DaveGPz » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:20 pm

Well, I've received a reply from a very nice policeman called Nigel, in SA Police Traffic Training and Promotion Section (see below).

We're heading over to SA, and my son's on his L's on the FZR250, so we'll laminate a couple of copies of this and see how we go (but we'll keep the signature and constable's ID number on those ones). I'll let you all know (unless you hear about us on the news first :D )

Thanks for pointing us in the right direction, Aardvark. I think we'll stay off the main roads all the same. I'd be interested to hear what your workmates think about this...

"Dear...

A learner driver who holds a Learners Permit issued under Victorian Law must drive to the conditions imposed on their licences by that issuing authority. Therefore when your son travels to South Australia he must abide by the conditions imposed on his licence by the Victorian authority and must also follow local road traffic rules (eg general speed limits etc). If his Learners Permit allows him to drive at 100kph in Victoria then such a condition is valid in South Australia.

regards"
DaveGPz
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby aardvark » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:40 pm

DaveGPz wrote:I'd be interested to hear what your workmates think about this...

FIrstly, I'm semi-suprised that you got a reasonable answer from TT&P. Normally they have no idea. :)

Secondly, as I've mentioned elsewhere (earlier in this thread I believe) the answer Nigel has given you is the right one. I don't just make this stuff up you know! ;)

I am currently seeking information as to wether or not there is any case law to back this up for you.
aardvark

Postby hoffy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:52 pm

Arddy if the offender can do something really cool like a stand-up wheelie, do you let them off :lol:

I would ! :)
hoffy
Team Barge
Team Barge

Bike: Z1000

Postby hoffy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:56 pm

simpleton wrote:Just on the subject, does Victoria have double points for the long weekend.

no, but they do have asshole coppers who hide in bushes...be carefull ! :lol:

at least you wont get gang raped on the points front, so it may not hurt as much :D
hoffy
Team Barge
Team Barge

Bike: Z1000

PreviousNext

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion