Interstate laws

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

Interstate laws

Postby DaveGPz » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:20 pm

Hoping someone can help with this one - some friends of ours are coming over from Adelaide next week; one of them is still on her Ls, and in SA that means she's restricted to 80kph. What happens when she crosses the border into our great police state of Victoria. Does our surprisingly enlightened :P 100kph L limit apply?
"I just want to ride" Joe Satriani, Ride, 1989
DaveGPz
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning
State: Victoria

Re: Interstate laws

Postby Six Addict » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:26 pm

i'd hazard a guess that as long as she is cimplying with the law of the state she is in...

how is a vic policeman gonna book someone for not breaking the law in the state and then issue a fine just because in another state the law has been broken?? :?
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati
State: New South Wales

Postby Smitty » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:30 pm

state laws apply AFAIK
so in Vic..no speed restriction (but no pillions, zero BAC and LAMS apply)
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Lic ... ctions.htm
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX12R

Postby DaveGPz » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:35 pm

Cheers - that's what I thought, but when she phoned the Nunawading police station (WTF Nunawading? Because "It sounded Victorian"!) they couldn't tell her. I think SA plates might have a speed restriction printed on them, so it might be a good idea to pick up a plain set at Bordertown?
DaveGPz
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby aardvark » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:45 pm

The laws you are speaking about (ie: the requirement to travel at 80km/h whilst on her L's) are conditions of her licence. As a result, she needs to obey by the conditions of her licence. It's similar to the way some people have curfew conditions, 0 blood alcohol limits, the requirement to wear glasses or conditions to only drive an automatic. It doesn't matter what state they are in, those conditions still apply.

She can risk it and hope she doesn't get stopped, however, if she gets stopped by a half-switched on traffic copper, they'll know what those conditions are and she'll lose her licence. Hardly worth the risk.
aardvark
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Yamaha
State: South Australia

Postby DaveGPz » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:48 pm

Oh poo; thanks for the heads up - I'll let them know
DaveGPz
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby bonester » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:22 pm

The laws you are speaking about (ie: the requirement to travel at 80km/h whilst on her L's) are conditions of her licence. As a result, she needs to obey by the conditions of her licence. It's similar to the way some people have curfew conditions, 0 blood alcohol limits, the requirement to wear glasses or conditions to only drive an automatic. It doesn't matter what state they are in, those conditions still apply.

She can risk it and hope she doesn't get stopped, however, if she gets stopped by a half-switched on traffic copper, they'll know what those conditions are and she'll lose her licence. Hardly worth the risk.
aardvark

Sorry to disagree mate, but the learner must abide by the state laws for learners. An example recently happened where a Queensland learner (not speed restricted) got pinged for L plates inside the windows, where it is legal in Queensland and not in NSW. If you are a Queensland learner, and venture into NSW, then you would be speed limited to 80. :shock:

http://www.racq.com.au/news/stories/l-p ... ate_drives
Last edited by bonester on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 X ZRX1200R 4 X ER6N, GT550, 1988 ZX-10, 4 X GPZ250R, 4 X GPZ900R and GPZ750R :) Yeah I like Kawasakis.
bonester
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby aardvark » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:28 pm

bonester wrote:Sorry to disagree mate, but the learner must abide by the state laws for learners. An example recently happened where a Queensland learner (not speed restricted) got pinged for L plates inside the windows, where it is legal in Queensland and not in NSW. If you are a Queensland learner, and venture into NSW, then you would be speed limited to 80. :shock:

Was this matter heard before a court?
aardvark

Postby bonester » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:36 pm

No idea.
2 X ZRX1200R 4 X ER6N, GT550, 1988 ZX-10, 4 X GPZ250R, 4 X GPZ900R and GPZ750R :) Yeah I like Kawasakis.
bonester
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Jonno » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:39 pm

As my dad use to say, get it in writing and then at least you have something to wipe your arse with after they reem you :lol:

But half seriously...

If you can get VicRoads to fax/send you their ruling on it and ask the representative to sign it, carry it with you and it might just work depending on the officers interpretation!
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Queensland

Postby Six Addict » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:07 pm

even tho i said something different before i'd trust the copper (aardvark) ;)
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Postby aardvark » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:26 pm

We had a further discussion in relation to this exact topic in our office this morning. 95% of us are in agreement that the licence condition is just that..... a condition of the licence. Meaning, it would need to be followed regardless of the state or territory you are in.

I am currently attempting to seek clarification of this matter via other sources.
aardvark

Postby Shifty » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:31 am

aardvark wrote:The laws you are speaking about (ie: the requirement to travel at 80km/h whilst on her L's) are conditions of her licence. As a result, she needs to obey by the conditions of her licence. It's similar to the way some people have curfew conditions, 0 blood alcohol limits, the requirement to wear glasses or conditions to only drive an automatic. It doesn't matter what state they are in, those conditions still apply.

Agreed.

I was on a Victorian 'P' license when I moved to QLD, where 'P' plates were not required. I looked into it from both VIC & QLD ends and I was required to wear the plate as it was a condition of my license.
Shifty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX12R
State: Queensland

Postby aardvark » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:44 pm

I spoke with our liason with the SA dept of transport today. They agree with my understanding of the law. The licence conditions are just that, conditions for that licence, and as such, they need to be complied with, regardless of what state you happen to be in.
aardvark

Postby simpleton » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:49 pm

Just on the subject, does Victoria have double points for the long weekend.
KWAKAS SR650,GPZ900,ZX10,GTR1000,GPZIIOO,ZRX1100
OTHER Honda 250,Jawa 250,CX500,GSX1100,Yam1.1, Tri Daytona 900,Ducati ST2,Tri Sprint,Tri Tberbird, Breva 1100, Aprilia
THE MRS' KWAKAS GPZ250,Zephyr 550,ZR7,2010 Z750
OTHER Triumph TT600,Guzzi Breva 750
simpleton
Warming up
Warming up

Next

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion