MOST Test NSW

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

MOST Test NSW

Postby gazza2008au » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:14 pm

hi guys and girls im about to book in for my P's test im just wondering what am i in for? my biggest problem is head checks how strict are they i know i have 8 points to play with how many points do they give for each head check not completed? also if i pass the first 6-7 hours of training than fail the last 1 hour training do i have to redo the whole day?
gazza2008au
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX7R
State: New South Wales

Re: MOST Test NSW

Postby zx6rider » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:17 pm

What ever happened to "Just ride around the block and give me $70 bucks and you've past?"

I must be gettin old :lol:
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
zx6rider
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Suzuki
State: Victoria

Postby gpxpunk » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:34 pm

yeha i have the same problem, i need to remember the head checks, im ready for mine next month so i need to practice the head checks more haha drill it in to myhead, everything else im fine with but them bloody checks lol
1987 GPX250R. memories
2002 ZX7R . sold!!!!

I want My 7r BACK!!!!!!! Grrrrrr
gpxpunk
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Don't have one

Postby fireyrob » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:34 pm

During the actual test its on a closed circuit. You have to do 5 or 6 competencies (cant quite remember) and each time you take off just do your head check! Trust me they drill it into you all day during practice for these competencies, even on the road ride. They are there to teach you then the final test takes like 5 minutes... If your not first then your watching the others do it. DONT FORGET THE FING HEADCHECK!! in the final part (you wont forget trust me) and youll be right!!!
09 ZX6R
03 Zthou
fireyrob
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Z1000

Postby gpxpunk » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:52 pm

yeh head check ! head check ! head check ! haha need to remember
1987 GPX250R. memories
2002 ZX7R . sold!!!!

I want My 7r BACK!!!!!!! Grrrrrr
gpxpunk
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Don't have one

Postby gazza2008au » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:02 pm

are there any test i have to do in the first 6-7 hours training on there little course in the car park or is it basicly just learning new things?
gazza2008au
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby fireyrob » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:03 am

First half of the day is some basic theory and drills to get you up to a level to pass the MOST test in the arvo. Then a road ride for about an hour stopping at various spots to watch car behaviour etc. Then you get back and do the MOST test. Have a look at the RTA website as its describes the drills in detail. Should you be struggling during the day the instructor is there to teach you not fail you!!!
09 ZX6R
03 Zthou
fireyrob
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Z1000

Postby Rossi » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:54 pm

OK guys good luck with your test

I know this is going to sound like preaching but,
headchecks aren't a farkin ritual.........they're designed to save your life :shock: It's not just about swinging your head about - you're actually looking for the fucker in the car or the 18 wheeler or even Gos giving you the "fly-by" :shock: that's going to be overtaking you when you want to make you move ;)
In the dim & distant past when I was learning & doing my test they were called "lifesavers"
It's a shame it isn't drilled into Car & Truck drivers the same way but when you have a system that teaches you to pass a test instead of one that teaches you to drive .......whaddya expect ?
If you do them often enough before moving your road position they become 2nd nature - I even find myself doing a headcheck when walking thru the shopping centre :lol:

Here endeth the sermon :lol:
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
Rossi
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX9R
State: Victoria

Postby Richo » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:11 pm

I think the only way you can fail during the day runs is to actually "break the law" .. So, no stupid stuff, dont go too slow and DO NOT exceed the limit, cos the trainer can actually tell ya to PO and try again if you break the law.

With the skills test, I was lucky first with another 8 or so looking on ... Yeah, HEAD CHECK .. EVERY TIME YOU GO FROM A STAND STILL .. even when the dude says thats great, now move ya bike over here .. HEAD CHECK. .. and try not to put ya feet down. .. or stall it .. or forget what it is ya sposed to be doin . . ummm ..thats about it. :lol:

Good luck Gazza!
2004 ZRX1200R
And on the seventh day Richo ended his work which he had made. Decided resting was for soft cox, straddled the REX and headed up the old road.
And it was good
Richo
Team Chainsaw
Team Chainsaw

Bike: ZRX

Postby mike-s » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:33 am

gazza2008au wrote:hi guys and girls im about to book in for my P's test im just wondering what am i in for? my biggest problem is head checks how strict are they i know i have 8 points to play with how many points do they give for each head check not completed? also if i pass the first 6-7 hours of training than fail the last 1 hour training do i have to redo the whole day?

When i did my P's test i was told to think of the first part of the day as a refresher preceding the ride and the skill test. They go through u turns, stopping cone weave and EVERYTHING else before the actual road assessment and individual test, so the main thing is just to be confident with your abilties, however be aware that the individual test focusses on slower speed maneuvers over everything else you may have picked up in your time on your L's. Still if your confident and have done enough practice to feel your confident in what your doing then just use it all as a practice session and "just do it".

The one thing for me was i had to remember to check over my shoulder before swinging a leg over the bike, i nearly failed on that alone as i kept forgetting to do it!:oops: . But the best
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Suzuki

Postby Rusty » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:02 pm

Rossi wrote:OK guys good luck with your test

I know this is going to sound like preaching but,
headchecks aren't a farkin ritual.........they're designed to save your life :shock: It's not just about swinging your head about - you're actually looking for the fucker in the car or the 18 wheeler or even Gos giving you the "fly-by" :shock: that's going to be overtaking you when you want to make you move ;)
In the dim & distant past when I was learning & doing my test they were called "lifesavers"
It's a shame it isn't drilled into Car & Truck drivers the same way but when you have a system that teaches you to pass a test instead of one that teaches you to drive .......whaddya expect ?
If you do them often enough before moving your road position they become 2nd nature - I even find myself doing a headcheck when walking thru the shopping centre :lol:

Here endeth the sermon :lol:

And that's some of the best advice you're ever going to get.
Rusty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX9R
State: Queensland

Postby *Rach* » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:41 pm

Hi - I just did my MOST about a month ago. It's a long day, like someone earlier said you do range riding for the first few hours (basically you have to prove to the instructor that you know how to start/stop/brake/get into the ready position/scan through corners/leave a 3 second gap before they take you out on the road ride). Head checks are important here - it's a good time to get yourself used to doing them. Then the road ride goes for about an hour, you stop about 5-6 times along the way to discuss how you went, if there was anything you thought you could do better etc. Then the instructor takes you back to the range where they "teach you skills" cause they aren't allowed to say that they are teaching you how to pass the test. Also they assume now that people have gone to the RTA website, downloaded the MOST and practiced before going for the actual test. Then you do the test. During the test you can accumulate 8 points, with your 9th point being a fail. If you do one thing continually wrong (eg head check) you accumulate points something like this (I can't remember exactly the progress of points so this is just an example) - first non head check 3 points, second non head check 5 points, third non head check 8 points. So if you do two non head checks, you then don't want to stall the bike, cause thats 5 + 3 points. You'll see on the MOST outline (online) that two of the four tests have to be done at a certain speed - the instructor will actually have a speed checker that you drive through, so if you practice the test before going, make sure you practice at the right speed. I found the instructor I had was very friendly and approachable. I was in a group of 6 and we all passed :D Good luck !
*Rach*
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Yamaha

Postby *Rach* » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:45 pm

Sorry, to answer the other part of the question I think you can just go back to do the MOST without having to do the whole day.
*Rach*
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Yamaha

Postby Six Addict » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:48 pm

i believe you are right rach... you can just book the actual test thingo for another day...

we had one guy fail in my group because he didnt go fast enough into the brake test, 3 times he was too slow so he failed... silly thing was he was a brand spankers vtr250, so easily capable of completing the test....really sad thing was he said he wasnt sure if he wanted to come back and do the test, thought he might not got into riding after all....
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Postby gazza2008au » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:02 pm

when i was checking out the rta web site i noticed they had 3 options
1: learns course
2: p's course (whole day)
3: the 1 hour test
so after looking at this i must have to pass the first part of the P's test and if i fail in the last 1 hour than i only need to rebook that 1 hour otherwise i think i have to do the whole day again does this sound right?
gazza2008au
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Next

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion