ninja 250 tyres

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

ninja 250 tyres

Postby Six Addict » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:18 pm

ok so i typed this at work but it didnt work and then we lost the ADSL :shock:

here goes...

i think its finally time for a set of new hoops for the baby....

ive currently got bt45 both front and rear and these have served me well... i have popped in to flywheels and i do infact have a set of bt45s on order but its been a month since i ordered so i might have to think about trying a different brand...

these are the following options that are in the stock size... i want to stay stock (110/70 - 130/70) for safety, and keeping the handling the same...

bt45
pilot active
gt501
roadrunner
lasertec

i know these are mostly commuter slanted or "sport touring" and its a shame i cant get anything like the pilot road or something similar as most sports tyres only go to 150 widths... :(

the bt45 has served me well commuting in all weather, scratching, touring and track days, however the front does scallop badly, havn't had any moments, but none-the-less...

i read the gt501 is not as good in the wet but just as good in the dry, but no word on how it performs at the limit...

the lasertec gets some good reviews, very sticky but the rear wears quickly, this may be due to the bike so i wouldn't take this as a trait of the tyre...

the roadrunner gets a good wrap from a few people too...

in short i think im just looking for some guidance from riders who may have ridden a bike on one of these tyres... perhaps many moons ago...

this may also help future riders who may or may not get to the stage where they need to replace their tyres on the baby ninja...

for the record, flywheels quoted me around 350 fitted for the bt45s, with the ksrc discount... not much use if the tyre is so hard to come by however... :cry:

cheers

Owen
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati
State: New South Wales

Re: ninja 250 tyres

Postby z900/zx9 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:52 pm

I havent used them but looking for tyres for Kazzs Hooonda theres some good reports around on conti road attacks ;)
http://tinypic.com/hu369k.jpg[/img]
[b]Z900, z900RS , H2 Ninja 1000 Supercharged. FPV Supercharged Pursuit ute..
z900/zx9
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Six Addict » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:42 am

thanks mal ;)

ill check em out!!!

checked em out... smallest is a 150 :(

they do have a tyre called the avenue....

DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Postby the kid » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:21 am

Have a look at Dunlop Alpha 10 . Sticky and should come in those sizes . Not bad in the wet for a tyre that has a lot of block area .
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby Rusty » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:12 am

I'll second Billy's post. Dunlop GPR Alpha 10 for grip. Don't last that long, though.

The BT45's a good tyre, too. Not as grippy and doesn't feel as good as the Dunlop, but lasts. And lasts. And lasts some more.
Rusty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX9R
State: Queensland

Postby Six Addict » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:46 am

Rusty wrote:The BT45's a good tyre, too. Not as grippy and doesn't feel as good as the Dunlop, but lasts. And lasts. And lasts some more.

i know this from experience... i'll chuck up a photo of the bt45s soon.... almost hit 9000kms...

when u say the dunlops dont last long.... how long is not long???
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Postby Rusty » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:03 pm

I've only used 'em on the track, so a direct comparison's probably not possible. At an estimate, about half the life of the Bridgies. If that. The other thing is that on track I run lower pressures than I would on the road, with a maximum of around 31psi. Tyres are never going to last long at low pressure.
Rusty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Six Addict » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:41 pm

the alpha's come in 140/70 or 140/60... grrrrr... they sound like the tyre for me.... track and hard riding oriented.... :cry:

DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Postby Rusty » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:54 pm

Could've sworn I saw 'em in a 130. :oops:

Try ringing a tyre dealer - Bridgestone don't list a 130/70 on their website either.

You may be able to squeeze a 140 on the rim (in fact you probably can) but personally I'd prefer to stick with the stock size if possible.
Rusty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Six Addict » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:34 pm

interesting rusty... i might walk into a dealer and just ask em to search everything that comes in a 130/70 rear :lol:

just been on bridgestone website....

and found this...

bt-39... come i the correect sizes too.... looks ot have large blocks which would give beter grip that bt45 on the edge... compromise on wet grip of course tho...

looks like it could be a good tyre for dry riding 8)
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Postby MrWasabi » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:51 pm

As you know Owen i have the Pilot Active at the back and i cant complain with its performance.
Gets hot quick and stays hot for a while. Dual compound and i think i pay $180 fitted from bikebiz.
They aren't as sticky as others, and probably not even close to the Alphas, but then again that is the ultimate compromise, sticky vs durability.

I haven't pushed them to the limits you have but for what ive done they grip good and they aren't too bad in the wet either.

so far done about 2,000 km on it and they don't look too shabby.

Edit: check out This link
Last edited by MrWasabi on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mistakes:
Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

http://www.sentechcomputers.com.au
MrWasabi
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Six Addict » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:56 pm

thanks wasabi man... maybe have to take the ZZR for a test run to test em out... 8) and u can have more of a fang on the baby... did u have piot activ front and rear??? ... u really do need someone to look at that clutch of yours tho....
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Postby MrWasabi » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:03 pm

yeah no problems man, hopefully im not working this Sunday and you can have another run on it.
I'm only running a 130 rear and a bt45 front which is in need of changing too...but ill be getting a pilot active when i do.

yeah cable needs to be changed i think, will change it when i do the service on it.
Mistakes:
Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

http://www.sentechcomputers.com.au
MrWasabi
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Rusty » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:14 pm

baby_ninja wrote:interesting rusty... i might walk into a dealer and just ask em to search everything that comes in a 130/70 rear :lol:

just been on bridgestone website....

and found this...

bt-39... come i the correect sizes too.... looks ot have large blocks which would give beter grip that bt45 on the edge... compromise on wet grip of course tho...

looks like it could be a good tyre for dry riding 8)

Could be the replacement for the BT45, too, which isn't on that site. Also they're still listing the superseded BT020. I was looking at the listing by size, and neither the BT45 or the BT39 are on that list. And finally, the only site we get to check what Bridgestones are available is the Japanese site anyway. Hence my advice to call around a few suppliers.

The BT39 is a bias ply. BT39SS (apparently not available in a 130 rear) is a radial. BT090 is a radial, but smallest available is a 140. All according to Bridgestone's site, o' course.

Another trick you MAY be able to pull is to put a front tyre on the rear. I think it's possible to get 'em in 130, but couldn't be bothered looking (supposed to be working here!). Don't do it on my say-so, though - talk to someone a bit more cluey (like a tyre dealer).

For the record, DON'T get Pirelli Sport Demons. They're gripless.
Rusty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby the kid » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:26 am

Ask your dealer about putting a 140 on the rear . I know you want it stock , but one size up shouldnt be an issue . Have a 140 on KR-1 rim and it came out with 130 . Same with KR-1S rim came stock with 140 and use a 150 .
Can slow the steering but I have not noticed .
Have used a BT39ss and its OK but prefer the Dunlops . If you are doing some track days who cares about tire life ? One small slide will cost a heap more than a new set of tires .
Have just had a new rear Alpha 10 put on the KR after 12 months of track use . Its half worn . Changed it only coz I think it has gone a bit hard from too many heat cycles . Just trying to be a bit cautious .
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Next

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion