My First Ride

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

My First Ride

Postby dalecati » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:32 pm

Hey all, yay, a new section JUST FOR ME! Hahaha. Really though for new riders, it is scary trying to find somewhere in all the posts on the forum where you know a tiny bit of what is actually being said and then finding a place for you to actually say something too (longest sentence ever?). So that's why this new area is great, woo!

Anyway, as my subject says, I went for my first ride on the weekend! Strapped on the old L plate and did a bit of gear practise and stopping and starting in the Carindale carpark with Shifty. I was so excited that I begged to go for a real ride so we decided to head out to my Mum's place in Victoria Point. I've driven Old Cleveland Rd and the general Redland's area for about 4 years now so I know every bump and traffic lights (although they're adding them almost every week now!) and thought it'd be the best ride for the wee beginner!

So we set out on the bikes from Norman Park, me on the zzr250 and Shifty on the 12R. After a few troubles working out that I can actually stay in first and take off again without going back to neutral than down to first again (shhh if this seems so simple to you!) things were going pretty well. We hit Capalaba and I even got a nod from a rider who came up beside us! (Made my day actually, I wonder whether seeing my L plate took him back to his learning days?) Without any large hiccups we made it to my Mum's and it was a great experience.

When we were on our way home though, just as I took off I accidentally jumped on the brakes (to this moment I still don't know WHAT I was thinking!) and almost caused a collison with the 12R. :oops: Thankfully Shifty was very attentive and realised that I'd made a boo boo and avoided me! Again we made it home without any troubles and I was delighted with my first riding experience.

One thing that I did learn was how to stop with one foot. It seemed like the hardest thing in the world but it feels really comfortable now! I'm *really* short so even on the 250 I have trouble touching the ground so trusting myself and practising the one foot thing was a real challenge to begin with. I do it with my left foot though, and I thought this seemed normal because I've observed most other riders using the same foot. However on my way home from work yesterday I saw a guy on a 750 doing it with his right foot and it just seemed strange.

Just for discussion (if this is the wrong area too, please redirect me) is there anything beyond individual comfort and preference when deciding which is the best foot to steady the bike with when stopping?
dalecati

Bike: ZZR250
State: Queensland

Re: My First Ride

Postby Six Addict » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:40 pm

good stuff dale!!!

as for the feet down thing... you will see most rider using their left foot down because they can then keep there right foot on the foot brake... not only does this stop you rolling away on flat ground, it also means that when u take off you can modulate your speed with the rear brake.

In NSW we are taught to ease out the clutch and ease off the rear brake when taking off from a standstill... the rear brake is also the best for use in heavey traffic...

I take my right foot off the pegs if i have the bike in neutral on flat ground so that my left foot is ready to change into 1st when the lights go off...

this however can compromise safety as im sure all learners are told to stay in gear whilst stopped should u need to move away and avoid a car that may be about to rear end you.... if your in neutral with hands off the bars, u have little chance of avoiding anything from behind...

having said all that in one trip to work i will put right, left and both feet down at any given moment for no particular reason what-so-ever other than what "just happens"

cheers

Owen

oh and welcome to the noobs section :D :D :D
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati
State: New South Wales

Postby fireyrob » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:44 pm

Good to hear your back on the road :D

Ive seen both but my personal preference is the way I was taught at stay upright. Left foot on the ground, right foot on the brake. But Ive also found surfaces to be slippery so Im very careful not to just come to a stop and lean all the weight on the foot straight away! Im also taller and can leave both feet on the ground which tends to be a lazier option but I feel the bike steadier with the weight evenly distributed!

I have a mate who does it with his right foot but he rides a 1962 Duc that has the brakes on the left hand side! He got some interesting looks at the stay upright Provisional Test from the instructors :lol:

Do whatever comes natural but practice practice practice what is required for your P / Full licence upgrade ;)

Stay Upright and Eyes Wide Open :shock:
09 ZX6R
03 Zthou
fireyrob
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Z1000

Postby cookeetree » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:00 pm

Congratulations on your first ride! I remember mine. Ahhh, those were the days, riding around the paddock on a ZZR 250! :D

It's definitely best to use one's left foot on the ground, right on the rear brake.

baby_ninja - It's actually illegal, under QLD law, to put the bike in neutral and take both hands off the bars. You must keep one hand on the bars at all times.
In God, we trust; all others must supply data.
cookeetree
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZZR1100

Postby Six Addict » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:08 pm

cookeetree wrote:baby_ninja - It's actually illegal, under QLD law, to put the bike in neutral and take both hands off the bars. You must keep one hand on the bars at all times.

phark me dead!!!!!!!!!!!

i suppose it is safe but how much would the fine be?? :shock:

it is also technically illegal in NSW to at any point ride without both hands on the bars and both feet on the pegs.... twas basically introduced so cooppers could get people who were stunt riding on the roads.... you'd be unlucky if u were stretching ur legs or un-numbifying (hehe) your hands and you got done for it... tho i suppose if u get a copper in a foul mood anything is possible... :shock:
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Postby Benno » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:24 pm

You also forgot to add that one of the main reasons you keep your foot on the rear brake, is so your rear brake light is on, so approaching vehicles know you're stopped!

Sounds like a good first time out! Just remember that you'll only get better with practice, so keep heading out there!
Vespa!
Benno
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Scooter
State: Victoria

Postby Shifty » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:37 pm

Yes, congratulations on your first ride! You did very well, I wouldn't even have mentioned the unplanned tap of the front brake... you were probably just nervous taking off in front of your mum (I know I was nervous the first time I had to ride off in front of someone... in fact I remember telling mum to go inside and not watch, the first time I left her place on a bike!)

As for technique... you may remember that almost all of your stopping (95%+) is done with the front brake, and only a small percentage with the rear? Well,the rear is more for stability than anything and is ideal for low-speed use. At first I let you do your stopping with the front brake only, and two feet down, to

(a) let you get over your height/confidence issues, and
(b) teach you to rely on the front brake, rather than the rear brake (common beginner issue, was with me!)
(c) not complicate things straight away with too many controls at once

Now that you've built some confidence and been able to make the transition to one-footed-ness (!) we have to train you on the rear brake. Basically, when you get to 10km/h you should be getting off the front brake entirely, and using the rear (right foot) brake to wash off the tiny bit of movement that's left. This (a) avoids the 'bounce' at the front and (b) leaves your left foot free so that it can be confidently placed on the ground... makes you start to look like a real pro :twisted:
Shifty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX12R

Postby Shifty » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:07 pm

A couple of recent piccies of the girl in action!

Shifty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Glen » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:32 pm

As others have said the reason you get trained to put the left foot down is

a)Your right foot is holding the rear brake to stop the bike from rolling
b)Because of a) you can release the front brake and have your hand on the throttle only, so that you are ready to move off as soon as you have to. When you're learning it's much easier to just have to worry about one control at a time
c) a) and b) are part of being in the "Ready Position" ie Rear brake on, Left Foot down, clutch in,bike in first, both hands on the bars. The reason you do this is so that you are ready to move instantly if you have to eg you're about to get rear ended. Just as important is scanning your mirrors to keep an eye on every vehicle pulling up behind you.

As you get better, if you're a bit shorter you'll find one foot down is easier as you can slide your bum to the foot down side slightly thus giving you a bit more reach

I differ from Shifty a bit on braking but it's horses for courses. So long as you can regularly pull off a decent emergency stop then your on the right track.I think it's a good habit to keep the front on all the way until you stop. If it's not an emergency by all means ease it off a little as you are nearly stopped so that you don't get the big bounce at the end but you want to condition yourself to relying on the front until you have totally stopped. You want braking to become something that you don't have to think about. By using one system for every stop , whether it be regular or emergency , and practising it then you'll ensure you get it right every time.

The best thing for you to do is exactly what you're doing. Get practise with experienced riders like Shifty to guide you along and ask questions

Good luck with it
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby Blurr » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:44 pm

baby_ninja wrote:[it is also technically illegal in NSW to at any point ride without both hands on the bars

The law stats that you only need to have at least one hand on the bars at any one time in NSW

Awesome ride report and welcome to the addiction. Dont worry about the brake mishap......it happens to the best of us
Chariot of Fury 50cc 2stroke Race bike
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX10R

Postby red_dave » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:09 pm

They're crap pics Shifty!

Where are the ones where she was leaving those darkies everywhere??? :D
red_dave
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Shifty » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:55 pm

Another little ride planned for the weekend :)

I think those darkies are the reason I scored the "no helmet" ticket. After speaking to the local councillor about it, the carpark is known for "hooning" so the cops apparently drive past with a dim view & an aim to write anyone & everyone a ticket if they possibly can.
Shifty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Blurr » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:21 pm

see Owen^^^^ thats how you lean it :D 8) :lol:
Chariot of Fury 50cc 2stroke Race bike
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Shifty » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:51 am

Blurr wrote:see Owen^^^^ thats how you lean it :D 8) :lol:

I don't know who Owen is, but as you can see in the pics the whole "look where you're going" lesson has been digested perfectly and it shows in Dale's riding :)
Shifty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Possum » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:21 am

Welcome Dale & Great Post!

There's some good advice wrapped up this thread..
I generally put the left foot down. My only advise would be to keep an eye on the road surface.. I have scared the begeezs out of myself when my foot has slipped on gravel or greasy road..

By the sound of it you’ve got the bike bug and your doing great!
Keep up the practice and I look forward to hearing your progress!

Cheers Poss
It all comes down to how you ride it.....
Possum
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z1000
State: Western Australia

Next

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion