A noob to this forum (SA)

New to KSRC? Meet the regulars and check out the FAQs

A noob to this forum (SA)

Postby Godric » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:14 pm

new_newbie.gif

Hi All ,
Just thought I would start my adventure he by saying hi to all and letting you know a little about me.
I have been riding for over 30 years (yes that does make really old), my current ride (which is in the process of an engine rebuild) is a '94 ZZR 1100
No I don't like long walks on the beach :roll: . I enjoy riding and stuff and other stuff aswell.

I will put in my 2c worth if I have something construcive to say other than that I will just lurk lurk.gif

Cheers Godric
Godric

Bike: ZZR1100
State: South Australia

Re: A noob to this forum (SA)

Postby BrettZZR » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:45 pm

Cool! Another old fart with awesome taste in bikes!

Welcome!

(-8
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

State: Western Australia

Postby Mister_T » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:14 pm

Hello Godric.
Interesting bike the ZZR1100.
I recall being on a borrowed ZZR11 many moons ago, I think it might have been a C3 or D3 or somesuch. On a freeway at night in Queensland, I noted that the headlight was not really up to the performance of the rest of the bike, and nothing like the twin glass H4 lights on my usual RC17.
I did appreciate the rock-solid feel on the highway and the stability came in very handy when a complete truck tyre tread on its side in the middle of my lane came into view out of the darkness. I was doing 110kmh and not in a position to test the bike behaviour in sudden changes of direction. As I was about to clobber the tyre tread I thought I was a gonner but the bike just thumped over tread with barely a movement from the handlebars and only a minor kick in the pants.
Later inspection of the bike showed no damage, not even a scratch on the bellypan. I was impressed.
Mister_T
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GPx750
State: Victoria

Postby BrettZZR » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:25 pm

Yeah, the headlight is not too flash, but the glass lens unit is a bit rugged and so can take an 'ungrade'... I fitted a 110/90W H4 bulb*. Cures all ills!

* Oh and this is one of the topics that the keyboard bandits on forums all over the interwebz will tell you it's a bad idea, if you want I'll walk you through it.

(-8
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Mister_T » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:16 am

BrettZZR wrote:* Oh and this is one of the topics that the keyboard bandits on forums all over the interwebz will tell you it's a bad idea, if you want I'll walk you through it.

I suspect I've heard it all before, particularly in the context of twin headlights.
Mister_T
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GPx750
State: Victoria

Postby Godric » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:50 pm

I had noticed the lack of lumens but I just change my riding to the lack of light. Interesting about the globe upgrade I may hae to investigate it further.
Yes it very stable on the road I havent found to much that upsets it, even fully loaded at naughty speeds (it still surprises some of the little boy racers around the place bootyshake.gif ), it is probably because it weighs as much as a small car (with a shit load of more grunt).

Thanks for the welcome
Godric

Postby BrettZZR » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:46 am

Mister_T wrote:... I suspect I've heard it all before...

That was not addressed to you, more an offer of assistance to Mr Godric.

Some bedtime reading on the subject here.

Also, one of the easiest and best mods is flipping the rear eccentrics. Takes 2 minutes and gives MUCH crisper turn-in... Chassis really comes alive!

(-8
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Godric » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:49 pm

BrettZZR wrote:
Mister_T wrote:... I suspect I've heard it all before...

That was not addressed to you, more an offer of assistance to Mr Godric.

Some bedtime reading on the subject here.

Also, one of the easiest and best mods is flipping the rear eccentrics. Takes 2 minutes and gives MUCH crisper turn-in... Chassis really comes alive!

(-8
Being new here I would assume there is some banter between older forum members, no need to stress

Many thanks for the bed time reading most informative.

I have already flipped the rear eccentrics (a crusty old bloke told me about it when I was getting a tyre fitted a few years back) I was warned it makes the bike very twitchy at high speed
Godric

Postby smithy5 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:20 am

Fark the ZZR1100 headlight..............
On route to MotoGP 2006 my globe blew around Sale Vic.
After an hour or so fucken around at a servo, I found a nearby Yamaha Dealer.
After a few more hours for him fucken around with it, he was able to get to the globe and change it.
He charged me $20, He said, he didn't have the heart to charge 2-3 hours labour for a light globe replacement...
2013 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 Storm
Suzuki 1300 LillBusa Ute
Serviced by Allfixed Automotive Castle Hill PH: (02) 9634 1455
SRT Survivor & Oficial Photographer
smithy5
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Scooter
State: New South Wales

Postby Godric » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:34 am

smithy5 wrote:Fark the ZZR1100 headlight..............
On route to MotoGP 2006 my globe blew around Sale Vic.
After an hour or so fucken around at a servo, I found a nearby Yamaha Dealer.
After a few more hours for him fucken around with it, he was able to get to the globe and change it.
He charged me $20, He said, he didn't have the heart to charge 2-3 hours labour for a light globe replacement...

Had a similar experience at the WSB a few years ago, new globe before I left sunny SA it blew half way there, still had high beam continued to the island went into Cowes on the first day and thought 10 mins new globe it's all good. 3 hours later after dropping the globe into the head light and stipping the fairing off in the carpark of the bike shop a really nice race bike mechanic spent 45 mins reteiving out of the head light (with much swearing :-x and casting dispersions on the parentage of the designer ofthe bike) fitted it then told me there you go. I gave him $50 for his efforts then put the fairings back on myself.

Note to self: 10 min jobs take 3 hours
Godric

Postby Daisy » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:48 am

Must be a Victorian disease then. I dropped the bulb into the headlight in Dandenong and we spent the rest of the morning stripping and refitting fairings. At home I can change it only removing that lower access panel.
dutchy wrote:White bikes are awesome :grin:
Daisy
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GTR

Return to Introductions and Newbie Zone