G'day from Charters Towers!

New to KSRC? Meet the regulars and check out the FAQs

G'day from Charters Towers!

Postby Alexius » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:09 pm

Hi all,

I've been itching to get back on two wheels since building our house and today was the day. I have a long history with Kawasaki's from riding a Z250 from Brisbane to Perth in 1989, doing Perth to Busselton on my Z550 every weekend to see my girlfriend, Doing the Nullarbor again (a little faster) heading back from Perth to Brisbane on the first of the fuel injected GPZ1100's and more recently enjoyed the grunt and old school style of a new ZRX1200. I've had many other bikes over the years and it's in my blood so today was a special occasion. My wife drove me to Townsville this morning and I picked up a very nice example of a 2007 ZX14R. Some extras included were heated grips which I may use on a Southern trip but never in far North QLD!, A sweet set of Yoshi stainless pipes that give her a fantastic note and she was dyno tuned after the pipes were fitted. The seller threw in a near new gear sack rack and bag, a GPS and wired mount and an original, never fitted single seat cowling. I arrived home with a big smile on my face after a very comfortable 130k trip. :D The ZRX had torque, but not on this level, the smooth roll-on power is fantastic when overtaking quad road trains and spending very little time on the wrong side of the road. I was very surprised by how manoeuvrable she is at 215 odd kg.

I plan to ride down to Toowoomba after Christmas and get a few rides in with 2 of my older brothers. I am the youngest of 9 children and the 5 of us brothers have all shared motorbikes as a common interest all my life. Looking forward to hearing from other owners of this beast. Al
Every time I go for a ride my wife asks me how fast I went...I might have to start lying :/
Alexius

Bike: ZX14R
State: Queensland

Re: G'day from Charters Towers!

Postby Wattie » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:11 pm

Howdy, welcome aboard
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby greenmeanie » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:36 pm

Welcome to KSRC. :)
Glenn
2009 ZX10R
greenmeanie
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Alexius » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:21 pm

Thanks fellas, I see the ZX10's are very popular! I basically love all motorbikes, just some more than others :D and I'll give a friendly nod to any motorcyclist I pass out in the middle of no-where. I guy came through Charters Towers last year on a CT 110 postie bike and he was fully loaded and 1/2 way around his lap of the continent! Having been a postie, I know they are only good for 90k/hr and that is downhill with a tailwind! Poor guy would have had a sore arse for a while but probably built up callouses!

I'm so eager for my road trip to Brisbane that I have already entered it into the GPS that came with the bike. I'm doing an oil change this weekend as I wouldn't have a clue what is in it and the seller said it was changed with it's last service which was a longer interval than I would leave a bike. She runs beautifully but I was very aware of the heat on my way back from Townsville so I'm glad I went for the big water cooled bike rather than the MT01 which was a sale that fell through. Those big air cooled twins suffer in this climate unless you want to take it extremely easy.

I know opinions are like arseholes and we all have one so choice of oil etc can be a topic of debate. I have gone for Motul 5100 which was not a cheap oil but if I can't afford to look after it I probably can't afford to have it. Any recommendations for oil for the ZX14 in the far North summer temperatures would be interesting but I thought I'd be pretty safe with the Kwaka dealer's suggestion for now.

Tyre choice is something I will shop around for when the time comes and I will have to buy from Townsville as prices and range are both ridiculous in small country towns. I have Pirelli Diablo Rosso's on at the moment and the front has only 800k on it.

Anyway, sure to be dropping in here frequently so I'll go catch some Z's, Al
Every time I go for a ride my wife asks me how fast I went...I might have to start lying :/
Alexius

Postby slaps999 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:06 pm

Welcome. Anyone who has had a ZRX can't be too bad. Question is, why don't you still have it :D
slaps999
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZRX
State: Victoria

Postby Glen » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:02 pm

G'day and welcome mate. Sounds like a nice beast you've got.

But....you SOLD the ZRX? Surely this can't be true :lol:
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

State: New South Wales

Postby Alexius » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:23 am

G'day again, Third time lucky I hope. I have posted a few times over the last couple of days and each time my computer has shat itself and I have lost the post. I'm on the wife's new work computer now so fingers crossed as I'll be in it deep if I throw the thing!

Glen & Slaps, I sold the ZRX to one of my brothers due to both my wife and I studying and having 2 babies while on Austudy was difficult so the toys were the 1st to go! I have had a few bikes since than but at the moment I am loving the ZX14. I spent a long time in my shed with music cranked the other night. I fitted the rear seat cowl and did an oil change and just enjoyed tinkering. She is registered in QLD now with 12 months single seat rego.

I'm now trying to find a few others to ride with but road bikes are few and far between in this little town apart from Harleys from the now disbanded Rebels chapter but I don't think they'd want to ride with me on my "jap crap" . Man, I've ridden a few Harleys in my time and I'm happy with the Kwaka thanks! Nice day for a blat so I'll catch you on the flip side, Al
Alexius

Postby slaps999 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:29 pm

OK. Good enough excuse. At least you acknowledged the ZRX ownership and even more so, you're still riding. Some of the members here like to give us ZRX members a bit of good natured stick :D
slaps999
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

State: Victoria

Return to Introductions and Newbie Zone