zx7r not working :(

New to KSRC? Meet the regulars and check out the FAQs

zx7r not working :(

Postby ZX_Menace » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:54 am

hi all, hopefully someone can help me, or has had a similar experience.

last monday while out enjoying a very hot ride, we stopped at wisemans pub to cool off. when we came back out my bike wouldn't start :(

i had no ignition lights, couldn't roll start it and couldn't jump start it either, once i got the bike home i checked the battery and its reading a healthy 12.9V, all fuses are fine (unless there's one i haven't found yet). i started pullling the bike apart last night to see if there were any broken/melted wires but haven't found anything so far.

i have a feeling that maybe the ignition barrel has crapped itself??? i dont know, just a gut feeling at the moment.

has anyone else ever experienced something like this? or can shed some light on what they think may be going wrong? or does anyone have a wiring diagram/service manual that i can refer to, including voltages & current readings etc???

any help is appreciated, really want to get it back on the road asap
ZX_Menace

Bike: ZX7R
State: New South Wales

Re: zx7r not working :(

Postby tim » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:34 am

I just googled zx7r wiring diagram you could start there:

eg:

Standard points of failure are kick stand switch, kill switch, and clutch switch if it has one
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby ZX_Menace » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:02 am

your better at google than me then lol, bike doesn't have kick stand or clutch switch. and im pretty sure the kill switch in the off position still allowed the ignition lights to come on.

thanks for the diagram
ZX_Menace

Postby BrettZZR » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:15 am

Before you go to too much trouble, test the volts on the battery and while testing turn the ignition ON, and see what happens to the voltage. My prime suspect from your description is still a dud battery. (They get a hairline crack inside that allows normal voltage, until you want to use it!

(-8
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZZR1100
State: Western Australia

Postby ZX_Menace » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:10 pm

ok thanks brett, will check that out.

ps just realised i had downloaded a service manual a few months back and have just found it......winning :)
ZX_Menace

Postby ZX_Menace » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:46 pm

BrettZZR wrote:Before you go to too much trouble, test the volts on the battery and while testing turn the ignition ON, and see what happens to the voltage. My prime suspect from your description is still a dud battery. (They get a hairline crack inside that allows normal voltage, until you want to use it!

(-8

actually, thinking on that more, will that test work considering when i turn the key im getting no ignition lights at all....therefore it wont be drawing any power. would i be better off taking the battery into a battery shop to get it tested?
ZX_Menace

Postby ZX_Menace » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:31 am

ZX_Menace wrote:
BrettZZR wrote:Before you go to too much trouble, test the volts on the battery and while testing turn the ignition ON, and see what happens to the voltage. My prime suspect from your description is still a dud battery. (They get a hairline crack inside that allows normal voltage, until you want to use it!

(-8

actually, thinking on that more, will that test work considering when i turn the key im getting no ignition lights at all....therefore it wont be drawing any power. would i be better off taking the battery into a battery shop to get it tested?

tested it last night, no change in voltage when turning the ignition on. checked coils etc, all getting correct Ω

ended up chasing wires to the ignition barrel, and both ignition wires and battery are receiving power, so im still leaning towards the ignition barrel shitting itself. will hopefully get the battery tested today and see how that is then go from there
ZX_Menace

Postby BrettZZR » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:53 pm

ZX_Menace wrote:... tested it last night, no change in voltage when turning the ignition on ...

Okay then it's not that internal batt issue (if it drops to ~0V soon as you put any load on it then it's a likely suspect).

Was worth a check - I have a few chapters in my book of car and bike stories with me chasing expensive / complex fixes for cheap / simple problems. You seem to be homing onto it...

(-8
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZZR1100
State: Western Australia

Postby ZX_Menace » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:41 am

haha, thanks mate, didn't get a chance to look at the bike on the weekend, hopefully i find some time this week, going to pull the ignition barrel apart and have a crack at fixing it, otherwise ill be ordering a new one :)
ZX_Menace

Postby lunatick » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:32 pm

ZX_Menace wrote:haha, thanks mate, didn't get a chance to look at the bike on the weekend, hopefully i find some time this week, going to pull the ignition barrel apart and have a crack at fixing it, otherwise ill be ordering a new one :)

My L3 ZXR did the same thing
And it was the contacts in the ignition barrel
lunatick

Bike: ZXR750
State: Queensland

Postby ZX_Menace » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:39 am

lunatick wrote:
ZX_Menace wrote:haha, thanks mate, didn't get a chance to look at the bike on the weekend, hopefully i find some time this week, going to pull the ignition barrel apart and have a crack at fixing it, otherwise ill be ordering a new one :)

My L3 ZXR did the same thing
And it was the contacts in the ignition barrel

cheers mate, will pull it out and have a look, were you able to clean/replace them? would probly be better off just getting a new barrel hey.

i remember when i went to start the bike before it carked it, there was a loud click in the ignition barrel when i turned the key to the on position, didn't think much of it till now tho lol
ZX_Menace

Postby ZX_Menace » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:19 am

bit of an update,

as i thought the ignition switch is busted, bought a new one off ebay (cheap Chinese copy unit) but turns out that its wired differently.

also when the the ignition switch blew it also caused the pickup coil to fail, anyone know where i can get one? been scouring ebay for the last week and no luck unless i pay 50 bucks postage from america.

Item 3 in the image below

hoping someone on here has one lying around :D :D :D
ZX_Menace

Postby Mitch » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:48 pm

looking at the parts fiche the ZX7R ignition barrel is specific to that model only. :(
http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/p/kawasaki/27005-1199/switch-assy-ignition

have you called up any bike wreckers?

Not that it matters but the 9R, 6R, and ZZR6 all share the same part :D
ZX9R F2 track bike aka Big Blue
www.bigmitchracing.com
Mitch
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX9R
State: Queensland

Postby ZX_Menace » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:12 pm

Mitch wrote:looking at the parts fiche the ZX7R ignition barrel is specific to that model only. :(
http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/p/kawasaki/27005-1199/switch-assy-ignition

have you called up any bike wreckers?

Not that it matters but the 9R, 6R, and ZZR6 all share the same part :D

thanks mate, ended up getting it sorted a couple of weeks ago, all good now
ZX_Menace

Postby ZX_Menace » Tue May 17, 2016 1:25 pm

another update :(

still having problems with this thing lol, we'll get there one day.

so problem is this time......im pretty sure.... is the battery has died, basically whats described below by BrettZZR is what is now happening..... "WHEN WILL IT END" haha

(-8

question is now, anyone have some recomendations on a decent battery suited to these bikes,

any help is appreciated
ZX_Menace

Next

Return to Introductions and Newbie Zone