A long tale for newer riders.

New to KSRC? Meet the regulars and check out the FAQs

A long tale for newer riders.

Postby King Nicholas » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:55 pm

Jennifer (my girlfriend) has a housemate, Mina, who is a new rider. He has a little Ninja with an exhaust that makes it sound ridiculous. Do you know that airy fart sound that is a distinctively a '250 with a can' sound? He listens to Jennifer and I discuss bikes, experiences, GP results, rider manoeuvres, products etc. and sometimes he asks questions. He rides primarily for transport and, to my knowledge, doesn't actually go out on rides or track days. He has a lot to learn about riding, such as why it's better to use the front brake in most situations, but as with most beginners, he will improve as time goes on.

Two weeks ago he had his helmet in his hand, said goodbye and that he was going to the gym. I asked where his leathers were and he complained that it was too hot. I advised him that if it is too hot to wear protective gear it is too hot to ride and he shrugged his shoulders in dismissal of my advice and proceeded to his bike and then the gym.

As I am a Class A stirrer and care for his well-being, I questioned his choice to not wear protective gear every time he left the house with his helmet in hand and each time I was dismissed in one way or another. Sometimes it was a shoulder shrug, sometimes a sigh and sometimes a snide remark. Once I told him that if he ever crashes without gear and he is lying in hospital, I would only ever say "I told you so" once and once only to which he smiled and dismissed me once again.

Well, today Jennifer called me and told me he was taking a corner at approximately 40km/h, it was covered in gravel and he crashed. His bike needs a new rearset, indicator and lever (and paint if he is cosmetically inclined) and he has gravel rash on the heel of his palms, the length of one of his arms, a hip, the outside of a knee and an ankle and courtesy of Jennifer, is in hospital receiving medical attention. Mina actually called one of his other housemates first as he feared Jennifer would use the "I told you so" line on him but as that housemate did not answer, he was left with no other option.

I have shared this story with you all but particularly the new riders out there. There is an acronym ATGATT that stands for All The Gear, All The Time and is a safety reminder. A proportion of experienced riders are adamant that it is very important to wear ATGATT, a proportion believe it is unnecessary depending on certain factors and many riders take up numerous positions that lie between these two.

It is not my intention to start a debate as to whether or not riders should or should not wear ATGATT but want to make newer riders aware of the risks versus the benefits of whatever decision they make. In this situation the benefit was to not be as hot and the risk was losing a lot of skin. In this situation Mina's "it won't happen to me" attitude proved to be incorrect yet some riders may never have an accident. All I ask is that you newer riders think about it, discuss it, consider different opinions, make a decision every time you get ready to ride and live with the consequences of your actions.
Last edited by King Nicholas on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Nicholas. Keeping it unreal.
King Nicholas
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning
State: New South Wales

Re: A long tale for newer riders.

Postby 6maniac » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:01 pm

Well said ...

;)
I've spent over 40 years of my life riding bikes .... the rest of it, I wasted ..
If it's got wheels or tits, it's gonna give you trouble !
HCST #2
Team Black '09 ..... R.I.P. - 2011.
Back in Black....2011.
6maniac
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Z750
State: New South Wales

Postby z900/zx9 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:16 pm

The thing is there is gear available like Mesh jackets etc that would have saved a lot of pain,my Shift jacket is like just wearing a tshirt also summer gloves .
Hope he heals quickly.I don't think he needs to be told you so but if by some chance when he recovers and he does it again then would be the time to say your a F#### in idiot. ;)
http://tinypic.com/hu369k.jpg[/img]
[b]Z900, z900RS , H2 Ninja 1000 Supercharged. FPV Supercharged Pursuit ute..
z900/zx9
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby mick_dundee » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:54 am

Yup another oft quoted expression is "there is no real bad riding weather, you just need the right gear" in the hot weather, mesh jacket, summer gloves, thinner socks, ride with your fly open if it's really hot too, all helps to ventilate, if it's seriously hot, like 40c type stuff then leathers are potentially as bad as they could be good for you, would be rather like riding in a sauna I reckon, not a leathers wearer myself.
A good mate will bail you out of jail, a true mate will be sitting in the cell next to you saying "Damn, we fucked up!!!"
mick_dundee
Team Naked
Team Naked

Bike: Suzuki
State: Victoria

Postby vanrootn » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:25 pm

At 43 degrees yesterday my lack of gear made it no cooler it was like riding in an oven.....
vanrootn
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Z1000
State: South Australia

Postby Stevojumps » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:07 pm

6maniac wrote:Well said ...

;)
+1 I have seen my fair share of riders come off on the streets with no or very little protective gear and it's not a good sight
Great advice all round
Stevojumps
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX12R
State: South Australia

Return to Introductions and Newbie Zone