NEW HERE LOOKING 4 A ZXR PROJECT

New to KSRC? Meet the regulars and check out the FAQs

NEW HERE LOOKING 4 A ZXR PROJECT

Postby NINJAINOZ » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:32 am

HI
New here, Lots of good info & some very nice rides in here

I have wanted a ZXR 750 / ZX-7R for many years now, I thought Its about time to get one, Im not looking to spend a lot to get started so im looking for a project type of bike that will probably need some work, That way I can really get to know the bike & have fun tidying it up

I would like either a ZXR 750 or a ZX-7R, Not really interested in any other models except maybe a ZX-9R if one pops up?
I can possibly arrange pickup from Brisbane or Sydney
NINJAINOZ
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZXR750
State: New South Wales

Re: NEW HERE LOOKING 4 A ZXR PROJECT

Postby robracer » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:41 am

Here is the perfect bike:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=39945 :kuda: oh & welcome to KSRC
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Bogan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:43 am

Yep what Rob said. Almost all done and perfect for someone who wants something to do. Comes with left side fairing that just needs paint. Make me a reasonable offer. Feel free to PM me or call me on the number in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=39945
Tony

I have become race...

the kid wrote:But remember one thing , Dave #3 watches videos of rampant Circus Ponies every time Cath goes down the street shopping so dont listen to anything he says . :twisted:
Bogan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Other Kawi
State: ACT

Postby NINJAINOZ » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:03 pm

I picked up a 94 ZXR 750 bike last week, Needs a a good tidy up but I will have fund rebuilding it
Not going to bother repairing the fairing so it will be a stripped down street fighter, I have removed heaps of odds & ends, I wont be using the speedo, Headlights & all the mounting brackets so if anyone needs them PM me

This is what it looked like when the last owner bought, Sadly it looked much worse when I got it
ZXR 750 FIGHTER BUILD.jpeg
This is what it looked like when the last owner bought it
ZXR 750 FIGHTER BUILD.jpeg (50.58 KiB) Viewed 7572 times

Started polishing the wheels & frame but I might get the frame & swingarm coated black
ZXR 750 FIGHTER SHRUNK.JPG
Stripped down for cleaning & some polishing
ZXR 750 FIGHTER SHRUNK.JPG (140.54 KiB) Viewed 7572 times
NINJAINOZ
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby NINJAINOZ » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Slowly getting there

NINJAINOZ
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby cally » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:19 pm

HI
Welcome!!
Gotta love your style in bike choice!! BRAVO!
Just beating JIMZXR to the puch... 8)
Soz JIM...lol
Welcome again
cally
Warming up
Warming up

Postby NINJAINOZ » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:36 pm

Lots of new goodies>

The DYNA coils & leads made a big difference

The FLY SNO X (20 degree) bars really tidied up the look & feels much better than the MX bars I had

A ZX7RR / ZX750N shock should make the back end a bit smoother & tidier

ZX7 forks, Lower triple clamp, Guard n calipers fitted after I polished the lower sections of the forks

Damn nice reservoir from Germany, I will get the clutch & rear brake reservoir soon
http://translate.google.com.au/translat ... CDkQ7gEwAA

NINJAINOZ
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby JimZXR » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 pm

Looking good Noz!
Road, Sky, Road, Sky, Road..... Ambulance

1993 ZXR750 Track Bike
1994 ZXR750 Ongoing project
JimZXR
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby NINJAINOZ » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:09 pm

Will be good when I can get some pics completed with the tank & tail on
NINJAINOZ
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby JimZXR » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:13 pm

Had considered a camouflage type colour scheme if I was going the fighter route!
Road, Sky, Road, Sky, Road..... Ambulance

1993 ZXR750 Track Bike
1994 ZXR750 Ongoing project
JimZXR
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby NINJAINOZ » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:15 pm

mmmmm I dont think camo would look real good but done right it may be OK?

Thanks to the pic of the solenoid wiring you posted (Thanks heaps for that Jim) my bike is running again, It turns the starter much faster now with the new battery, solenoid & wiring tidied up

ZX7 shock in a ZXR 750, I could slide in a ZX10 or similar shock if I wanted to now

I found a new fuel tap for $20 so I bought it just for the hell of it because they are probably about $100+ in Australia
NINJAINOZ
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby NINJAINOZ » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Main tip, Dont bother with a metal polishing kit!
Most of the polishing I do never even goes near a polishing wheel of any sort
Go & buy some 240, 400 & 800 grit sandpaper & use either soap or a bit of dish washing liquid in the water, Work your way down through the grades from 240 & you can bring the polish up fine enough to see your fingerprint in the reflection when you finish it off with 800, Then go to some polishing cream on a rag (like the Mothers mag & aluminium polish) or go down to 1000 or 1200 sand paper if you want a show quality finish before you hit it with the cream

Lots of people might say just use a wheel of some kind but it does not even the surface out like sandpaper if it is done properly & just using a wheel can put ripples in the surface & I have seen that many times before, Its a quick way to polish but can end up looking very crap

Basically you smooth off the surface with the rougher 240 or in some cases maybe 180 if the aluminium is pretty crappy & has marks or paint etc
The 400 smooths off what you have done with the 240 & so on, When you get the 400 going you will see the surface starting to polish & the water will actually start to bead off the aluminium which means the surface is getting smoother, When you go down to fresh 800 paper it will seem rougher than the worn down 400 but it will eventually smooth off to & even better shine, If you have a build thread post some pics when you get some done

My forks (And my frame you see in the pics above) have not been near a polishing wheel at all
I am going with a black frame anyway not because I couldnt be bothered polishing it but because I simply wanted to go for a more modern look
Lots of polished parts & a round headlight for example can make a 90's bike look like something from the 80's + I now have some green ZX7 wheels & I think it would look too lairy with a polished frame & green wheels?

My new ZX7 wheels>
NINJAINOZ
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby NINJAINOZ » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:27 pm

The forks were finished with 800 then a quick 30 second polish with some mothers polishing cream & that shined them up like you see in the pics, Some people will find sanding harder but holding a drill or holding the part you want polished up to a wheel can be just as hard & as mentioned it does not get the surface as flat as sanding, Just do whatever works for you & post some pics
NINJAINOZ
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby NINJAINOZ » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:27 pm

The stand is steel just paint it or have it powdercoated, Atleast you have started the preparation process for either

There is a huge difference between the grades of aluminium & it really shows when you try to polish crap aluminium, It is harder to get a nice shine & it wont hold the shine as long, Some parts are just better to powdercoat or paint

I found the rear peg brackets on my ZXR to be pretty crap to polish but I sold them anyway & now run a single seat tail & a Harris exhaust hanger

Generally the frames, swingarms & forks etc are made with good quality aluminium which should polish up nicely, When it comes to cast aluminium with a rough surface I usually cut it back with 180 or MAYBE 120 (if it needs) & bring the surface back down to flat & remove all the high / low spots then work your way through the grades of paper & polish, The lower sides (Near the pegs) on most aluminium twin spar frames have rough casting but can be bought up like a mirror pretty easily
Some people try & polish the rough casting with a wheel & it looks great ;)
NINJAINOZ
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby NINJAINOZ » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:08 pm

OH should have mentioned my ZXR 750 stand is steel, Forgot yours is a 250 so im not sure? If it feels realy heavy it is steel, The aluminium stands I have seen on some bikes have very smooth surfaces so I would say your stand is steel at a wild guess?

Triple clamps usually come up alright but some have little nooks & cranny's to get into & can be tricky
Yeah if you have to you can always paint or have the bits powdercoated if you dont like it

Just got to be careful not to over do it polishing too many things, I think it can make the bike look older & sometimes just plain wrong

It really depends on the colour of the bike & wheels etc etc & mainly how you want the bike to look

I dont really know exactly how I want mine I have changed plans a few times which is common with just about any project
Everything will fall into place usually
NINJAINOZ
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Next

Return to Introductions and Newbie Zone