New to KSRC? Meet the regulars and check out the FAQs

Postby DJC72 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:01 pm

Hi everyone, new to this forum. I have just purchased a 77 Z400 and I am keen to get some quality advice from the people in the know.
I’m from north Victoria. I’ll start with my first question, where is the best place to purchase parts online?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DJC72

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Victoria

Re: Newbie

Postby BrettZZR » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:22 am

Welcome! I suspect the answer might be "wherever you can get them" - but I don't know. There will be plenty of guys on here with heaps of knowledge and experience with those older bikes.

Post pics!

Have you got a workshop manual?

(-8
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZZR1100
State: Western Australia

Postby pkay » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:28 am

Hi Mate. Welcome to the forum. That is a big question! The good thing about the internet is you're spoilt for choice. First thing is make sure you have the parts manual and the Kawasaki service manual for your bike (not the Haynes or clymer crap ones). Best place to source these is eBay if you can't find one on any of the free Bike sites. And don't be reluctant to pay for the real manual as you can waste a lot of money on wrong bits (11 resto's later I haver finally learnt this). The other reason to get the parts manual is that you can search by part number not by bike and that picks up the parts shared across models. Also remember in America your bike is a KZ not a Z. CMSNL and Partzilla are good starting points as both have online schematics. Ebay is good for price comparison - postage is always the killer so check across different sources and make sure you serach worldwide not default. Gumtree usually is bottom end. Kawasaki may also list some common parts so don't be afraid to call them - all the manufacturers now run classic programs so you'll be surprised what you find. Also Findapart gets you access to a lot of wreckers as well. And if you get desparate type the number into google and spend several nights trawling through the responses (emails and phone calls) - you'll be surprised what you may turn up (I found the last set of FZ750 O/S pistons in Australia by a call to a former dealer who's wife had seen them "the other day" but had forgot they were on the shelf - they turned up in a google search on about page 6). Your consumables like filters and stuff can be bought aftermarket just use the ref number eg oil filter #404 - you can get these at the warehouse bike shops very cheap. I use the K&N catalogue online to get the numbers.

Good luck and have fun.
PK
"Too many bikes is never enough"
ZXR750H1,GPX750R,GPz600R,750,900R,1000RX,KR250,Z1a,Mach3,Z1300 and..
pkay
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZXR750
State: Queensland

Postby DJC72 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:23 pm

BrettZZR wrote:Welcome! I suspect the answer might be "wherever you can get them" - but I don't know. There will be plenty of guys on here with heaps of knowledge and experience with those older bikes.

Post pics!

Have you got a workshop manual?

(-8

Hi Brett and thanks.
I am picking the bike up tomorrow. I have been looking at the manuals off EBay. The ones I have looked at all seem to be KZ400 which I know are the American version. Dean.

DJC72

Postby DJC72 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:35 pm

pkay wrote:Hi Mate. Welcome to the forum. That is a big question! The good thing about the internet is you're spoilt for choice. First thing is make sure you have the parts manual and the Kawasaki service manual for your bike (not the Haynes or clymer crap ones). Best place to source these is eBay if you can't find one on any of the free Bike sites. And don't be reluctant to pay for the real manual as you can waste a lot of money on wrong bits (11 resto's later I haver finally learnt this). The other reason to get the parts manual is that you can search by part number not by bike and that picks up the parts shared across models. Also remember in America your bike is a KZ not a Z. CMSNL and Partzilla are good starting points as both have online schematics. Ebay is good for price comparison - postage is always the killer so check across different sources and make sure you serach worldwide not default. Gumtree usually is bottom end. Kawasaki may also list some common parts so don't be afraid to call them - all the manufacturers now run classic programs so you'll be surprised what you find. Also Findapart gets you access to a lot of wreckers as well. And if you get desparate type the number into google and spend several nights trawling through the responses (emails and phone calls) - you'll be surprised what you may turn up (I found the last set of FZ750 O/S pistons in Australia by a call to a former dealer who's wife had seen them "the other day" but had forgot they were on the shelf - they turned up in a google search on about page 6). Your consumables like filters and stuff can be bought aftermarket just use the ref number eg oil filter #404 - you can get these at the warehouse bike shops very cheap. I use the K&N catalogue online to get the numbers.

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks Pkay,
Lots of good advice thanks, I have noticed there are so many minor differences with these things. Manufacturing the same bike out of America just makes it worse. Part numbers are the way to go! Thanks for this. The bike has sat for ten years so it will be a full service, carby clean and clutch inspection I would imagine. The front brake needs a kit too apparently. Thanks, Dean.

DJC72

Return to Introductions and Newbie Zone