Starter issues

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

Starter issues

Postby willrcr15 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:01 am

Hi all it's been a while
The issue is with a 94 ZXR 750, fully rebuilt a few years ago with all the old parts.
My electrical expertise is hopeless so I'm after some help before I waste $$ replacing parts.
I've been through 3 starter solenoids thinking they were faulty, she's always been a bit dodgy starting but she eventually starts after a few pushes of the button.
The latest is when the starter kicks in after a few pushes of the button & the bike fails to fire up the starter motor keeps cranking after the button is released, so you'd think a simple turn of the key would kill it, but it keeps cranking & then it's a rush to the tool box to disconnect the battery, by then she's ready to melt down.
I can get her to crank by shorting across the solenoid terminals & alls ok but seems like its something from the switch/button, anyone got any go to ideas before I pull all the wrong parts apart ?
The switch button feels ok & when it's not misbehaving it works as expected.
Looking forward to the quiet life !
2 Honda NSR 150 SP's for the kids
94 ZX750R
97 Suz GSXR750
95 RGV250
90 FZR 250
81 XS1100
willrcr15
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZXR750
State: New South Wales

Re: Starter issues

Postby Ashy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:16 am

I have this very same issue, with a "94 zxr750. I have so far purchased a new starter solenoid and a new right hand switch block, but so far haven't fitted them yet. Looking forward to responses on this. I live in the Cook Islands so I can't just run to the bike shop and get stuff, everything is 3 weeks away.

Ashy.
Ashy

State: Overseas

Postby Gosling1 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:25 pm

always check the wiring connections to the battery - earth and +ve leads. If the starter motor is on the way out, it might get sticky......they can be reconditioned with new parts. They get really dirty internally with carbon build-up.

Also make sure the starter relay is working properly.

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby willrcr15 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:36 pm

Well it seems like I've fixed it.
The story is that when I bought the bike it was in a poor state & it had a few previous owners that were going to get it going but never did.
She came with a few box's of parts & strangely there was a new stsrter solenoid apart from the original on the bike.
So the starting issue started slowly & was always hard to start, slow cranking & dodgy on the button.
I had noticed a new piece of wire had been added to the solenoid, the positive I think, & turns out that was the culprit.
It's a crappy piece of aluminium core wire & it was broken just after the solder.
Anyway I replaced it & now it startes like a new one, never been better.
I'm no electrician so I still don't understand why she would stick on & crank over till the battery was disconnected but it fixed it.
I love a happy ending. Hope it helps Ashy, check for a break in the small wires to the solenoid, they get bent around a bit if it's removed over time.
Looking forward to the quiet life !
2 Honda NSR 150 SP's for the kids
94 ZX750R
97 Suz GSXR750
95 RGV250
90 FZR 250
81 XS1100
willrcr15
Warming up
Warming up

State: New South Wales

Postby Gosling1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:08 pm

good outcome :) those starter solenoids can be a right prick sometimes....
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion