ZXR 750 L1 clutch rod seal change rant

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

ZXR 750 L1 clutch rod seal change rant

Postby JimZXR » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:20 pm

Firstly is like to point out this is a rant not a request for info or help but either wouldn't go amiss!

Seems the ZXR is still trying to kill me or drive me crazy; tried to change clutch pushrod seal as it was leaking oil and was apparently an "easy fix by using only a 10mm socket to drive it in from the front" to only discover it's a significantly larger job than expected!

From what I've found this seal could never be installed from the front as its 20% wider than the entry hole at the front, has a seating shoulder on the back half of the seal and also has steel rings in it which won't compress.

In order to change it I'll need two gaskets, a large O-ring and probably a good day to do it as I'll end up pulling the bike half apart (exhaust, radiator, water pump, front sprocket, sprocket driver cover, sump) so I can sort a few other issues while I'm in there!

All of this with the motor still in the frame hopefully but no doubt I'll need to remove it.

And all of the above with a still broken collar bone!
Road, Sky, Road, Sky, Road..... Ambulance

1993 ZXR750 Track Bike
1994 ZXR750 Ongoing project
JimZXR
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZXR750
State: New South Wales

Re: ZXR 750 L1 clutch rod seal change rant

Postby Kwakked Up » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:21 am

Hi Jim

Everything seems to be a challenge when you are broken.

There is a thread on here that might be of some help viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8541

Good luck with it mate
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby ZXRPI » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:31 am

Hi Jim,

Might be worth trying to just replace the clutch pushrod first... though no guarantee that the seal might still be buggered!

The clutch pushrods are very soft (aluminium... I think) and on different ZXR engines over the years I have solved weeps in this area with a new pushrod. The pushrods wear against the seal to the point where they no longer make a 'good seal' and the weep is the result. I have found usually the pushrod wears faster than the seal. A new pushrod is the correct diameter and I have found often solves the issue.

Just thinking as I type as I don't have a pushrod on my desk at work so I'm trying to recall whether the ends of the pushrod are the same at each end... If they are, you may even be able to flip the rod over so the 'worn' section is no longer in the position of the seal and see if that helps? - cheap check without forking out for a new pushrod - though they aren't that expensive to buy.

Hope the fix goes smoothly!
Track - Bayliss TKA ZXR 750
Track - R1
ZXRPI

State: Victoria

Postby JimZXR » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:22 pm

Cheers all.
Unfortunately the deal was pretty buggered so I've removed it and gonna get the new seal in over the next few days.
Will have a look at the rod and see if it can be changed.

1993 ZXR750 Track Bike
JimZXR
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby lunatick » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:43 pm

ZXRPI wrote:Hi Jim,

Might be worth trying to just replace the clutch pushrod first... though no guarantee that the seal might still be buggered!

The clutch pushrods are very soft (aluminium... I think) and on different ZXR engines over the years I have solved weeps in this area with a new pushrod. The pushrods wear against the seal to the point where they no longer make a 'good seal' and the weep is the result. I have found usually the pushrod wears faster than the seal. A new pushrod is the correct diameter and I have found often solves the issue.

Just thinking as I type as I don't have a pushrod on my desk at work so I'm trying to recall whether the ends of the pushrod are the same at each end... If they are, you may even be able to flip the rod over so the 'worn' section is no longer in the position of the seal and see if that helps? - cheap check without forking out for a new pushrod - though they aren't that expensive to buy.

Hope the fix goes smoothly!

+1
I have done this also with sucess
lunatick

State: Queensland

Postby JimZXR » Sat May 28, 2016 11:44 am

To get the new seal in I had to remove the engine transmission cover as the seal was way too oversized to be pressed in.
Glad I've got it done now and hoping to get it ridden before summer but we'll have to see!

1993 ZXR750 Track Bike
JimZXR
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion