HELP - zxr750 not firing - i miss her!!

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

HELP - zxr750 not firing - i miss her!!

Postby robz » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:43 am

hi all - sorry ive not been as active as id like to be on forums these days! feel bad now asking for your help.

my '91 zxr750 j1 has died a death - from working ok (minus the fact she hasnt idled for 18 monthd :lol: ) on mon night to tues am - very rough running and then 1 min into the journey it was nothing to everything then 4 cylinders to 2??
now ive had everything off - cant see any changes to the carbs from last time they were off - although they do need sorting properly.
i checked the plugs - c1+4 were clack and 2+3 were white.
also there doesnt seem to be a strong spark when turned over and allowed to spark on the frame...

can anyone point me in the right direction?

its landed the worst time ever - 3 days after splitting up with my wife... :roll:

cheers all....
robz

Bike: ZXR750
State: Overseas

Re: HELP - zxr750 not firing - i miss her!!

Postby Mitch » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:47 pm

did yo find out wha the issue was?

my 9R sat for a couple of months and ran on 2 cylinders. Turned out to be the jets had gummed up. Spent an arvo cleaning them up and she ran better than ever.

hope you are doing ok with the spilt and everything
ZX9R F2 track bike aka Big Blue
www.bigmitchracing.com
Mitch
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX9R
State: Queensland

Re: HELP - zxr750 not firing - i miss her!!

Postby robz » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:37 am

hi dude
sorry for the slow reply....
yeah, long story but the carbs aren't healthy, but i ended up paying a garage quite a bit to sort her out.
was a big job fine tuning the carbs, took the guy a good while to do - lots of experience not me being a chimp :D
carbs are so worn that they are nowhere near stock settings and each carb is different :D

the reason it died was the throttle cable rubs the left coil pack and had slightly moved the wire therefore just a lose connection...never thought of that - embarrassing...

check out my youtube channel - all the drama was put on there :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6p3T43B3es

thanks for your kind reply mate!!
robz

Bike: ZXR750
State: Overseas

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion