Opinions on Lowering kits

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

Opinions on Lowering kits

Postby ZX9R Man » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:33 pm

Hey guys I came across a listing on that auction site for a lowering kit for my ZX9.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230340478884 ... EBIDX%3AIT

I'm around 170cm tall and, Although not on my tip toes on this bike, kind of half way to that.

This kit lowers the bike 20mm and was thinking this could be advantageous both ways. Being sure footed when reversing, able to manouvre it better when sitting on it, and improved handling from the lower centre of gravity.
I don't know much about these sorts of things to be honest so i am seeking your knowledge on the subject.

Questions.
Is it ok to make such a modification ?
Does the front need to be adjusted in some way to compensate for the change ?
Does it improve the handing ?
Has anyone had any experience with this mod ?
ZX9R Man
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R
State: New South Wales

Re: Opinions on Lowering kits

Postby z900/zx9 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:06 pm

I am around 165 and my advise is dont lower it :D
http://tinypic.com/hu369k.jpg[/img]
[b]Z900, z900RS , H2 Ninja 1000 Supercharged. FPV Supercharged Pursuit ute..
z900/zx9
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Nelso » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:11 pm

ZX9R Man wrote:Hey guys I came across a listing on that auction site for a lowering kit for my ZX9.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230340478884 ... EBIDX%3AIT

I'm around 170cm tall and, Although not on my tip toes on this bike, kind of half way to that.

This kit lowers the bike 20mm and was thinking this could be advantageous both ways. Being sure footed when reversing, able to manouvre it better when sitting on it, and improved handling from the lower centre of gravity.
I don't know much about these sorts of things to be honest so i am seeking your knowledge on the subject.

Questions.
Is it ok to make such a modification ? Yes and no
Does the front need to be adjusted in some way to compensate for the change ? Yes
Does it improve the handing ? No, it will do the opposite
Has anyone had any experience with this mod ? No, I have raised the rear on all of my bikes to make them steer faster

Lowering the rear will make the bike steer slower and run wide in corners as it will change the rake of the bike. If you lower the rear, you need to lower the front to maintain the geometry of the bike, which is not hard to do as you just push the forks through the triple clamps, but it will decrease ground clearance, so you might start touching pegs down when cornering. At 170cm there is no reason to lower the bike other than to drag race it.
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby Jonnymac » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:21 pm

He might have short legs and a long torso...........

If it's a concern you could probably custom your seat a little be sculpting some foam out of it to get the same result without the handling issues.

I'm pretty sure sitting on a nine is like being in an arm chair so it won't affect it much.
Jonnymac
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R
State: Victoria

Postby ZX9R Man » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:35 pm

Hey, thanks for the info guys. Appreciate the insight.
A little voice in my head said no from the outset, and you guys just confirmed this for me.

The E2 is more easier to ride than my previous B1. God that was tough in some situations trying to reverse it awkward situations.
I'd have to get off the bike, and with the shits, wrangle the beast into position. Had to do this many times.
This hasn't arisen with my current 9, but if it did, it won't be so hard i guess.(not a pig as its former was)
:kuda:
ZX9R Man
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Mitch » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:20 pm

pity it is not an F model as I have a seat that the previous owner cut all the foam out of. Sits around 30mm shorter than stock and makes the bumps o' so enjoyable :shock:
ZX9R F2 track bike aka Big Blue
www.bigmitchracing.com
Mitch
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

State: Queensland

Postby ZX9R Man » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:30 am

Yeah thanks mitch :lol: :lol:
I'm almost over those bone jarring rides..
Enter ZX9R!
I love this machine. Best of both worlds.
ZX9R Man
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby MKY » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:45 am

As long as you lower the front and back the same all you will lose is a little ground clearance and slight wheel base. You will be much better with having confidence with the bike and it will make it a better experience. I am about to lower my wifes zx9r.
I have lowered many bikes and never noticed a change in handling not saying it did not change just that I could not tell the difference
MKY
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZRX

Postby Shifty » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:10 pm

Personally I'd recommend against lowering it. I'm barely any taller than you and I've had various big bikes with no problems. I remember my first 250 I never thought I'd ever be able to ride a big bike but now I'd never consider anything smaller than a ZX12R, Hayabusa or ZX14(R).

That said I've lowered my current bike because my girlfriend doesn't like wheelies and with her on the back they're practically unavoidable even in second gear. I've fitted lowering links and dropped it one peg on the rear and dropped the forks 13mm at the front. It helps a little with the wheelies as now probably 7/10 times I can use full throttle in second without the wheel coming up.... BUT!...

...the ground clearance is now really shit - I have to be careful not to scrape my exhaust coming out of driveways, and my rear tyre ate my numberplate on Friday. I can't say I've noticed a shocking deteriorating in handling but I'm sure if I was a balls-out rider it would have some impact. I did 400km with a pillion the other day and had no new complaints.
Shifty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX12R

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion