Brake calliper rebuild , need some advice please .

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

Brake calliper rebuild , need some advice please .

Postby Jimmy82 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:18 pm

Just noticed that my ZX7r was a little hard to move around , I put the front wheel up and sure enough it was very hard to turn. My first thought was to check the axle bolt wasn't over tightened , backed it right off and still firm. So I then looked at callipers removed them and she spins effortlessly !

So my questions are ;

If the pistons look free of corrosion do you still need to replace ? I am thinking I should be able to clean up and just
Buy a seal kit as they look a little worse for wear and assume they are swelled up and causing piston not to return .

Is there any good suppliers over here in Aus or do I buy on ebay overseas or go genuine ??

Has anyone had any issues do similar rebuild ... Any do's or don'ts ???

Advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
2011 ZX10R
2010 KLX450R
Jimmy82
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZX7R
State: New South Wales

Re: Brake calliper rebuild , need some advice please .

Postby Jimmy82 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:19 pm

Seals look worse for wear not pistons !
2011 ZX10R
2010 KLX450R
Jimmy82
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Kwakked Up » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:11 pm

Your callipers don't spring back, it only a tiny amount of run out on the disc that kick them back a smidge. Mine tend to hang on a little also but is not a problem.

Rebuilding the brakes is pretty straight forward job and probably a good idea especially if it has been a while. If pistons look ok I wouldn't worry too much about them, just give them a clean up. Probably the trickiest bit is to free up the pistons before you pull the calliper apart.

Cant remember where I got my last kit from but probably ebay, there are plenty available.

If you can swing a spanner you shouldn't have a problem with this job, just make sure you clean out the galleries and blow all water, cleaning fluid etc out before rebuild.

Cheers
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Jimmy82 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:22 pm

Kwakked Up wrote:Your callipers don't spring back, it only a tiny amount of run out on the disc that kick them back a smidge. Mine tend to hang on a little also but is not a problem.

Rebuilding the brakes is pretty straight forward job and probably a good idea especially if it has been a while. If pistons look ok I wouldn't worry too much about them, just give them a clean up. Probably the trickiest bit is to free up the pistons before you pull the calliper apart.

Cant remember where I got my last kit from but probably ebay, there are plenty available.

If you can swing a spanner you shouldn't have a problem with this job, just make sure you clean out the galleries and blow all water, cleaning fluid etc out before rebuild.

Cheers

Yeah it's in need of something as you struggle to turn the wheel when it's in the air , I assume steel wool or something is ok to use to give the pistons a clean ? I will order a seal kit online , doesn't seem to be anyone local selling kits.
2011 ZX10R
2010 KLX450R
Jimmy82
Warming up
Warming up

Postby paulsj » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:39 pm

I cleaned my pistons using clean brake fluid and some green scotch brite then hose them off with brake cleaner and compressed air.-should just be gunk no corrosion. For getting the pistons out keep the line hooked up and pull pads out use a piece of wood in the middle and pump them all out so they have moved then using circlip pliers inside the piston pushing outwards to remove them.
paulsj
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R
State: Victoria

Postby paulsj » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:41 pm

Here is the link I used for my 6 pots on the 9 with great results

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/performanc ... ipers.html
paulsj
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R

Postby J.B » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:55 pm

Have to agree with most of the suggestions. Clean the pistons with fresh brake fluid and if you must gently with a scotch brite pad. Clean all the crud out of the internals with brake cleaner and then blow them out with air.

Getting the Pistons out in the first place can be a little tricky but as suggested pump them out slightly before you disconnect it all. From there if you have plastic jaw pliers it should be possible to pull them out, internal circlip pliers should also do the trick. I have a set of pliers just for this purpose.

Regarding seals, I'd get genuine over the ones on eBay, but that's probably just me. Suzuki will probably have a seal set that will suits your calipers.
"The measure of a man is what he does with power" - Plato
J.B
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZRX
State: Queensland

Postby Kwakked Up » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:51 am

Jimmy82 wrote:
Kwakked Up wrote:Your callipers don't spring back, it only a tiny amount of run out on the disc that kick them back a smidge. Mine tend to hang on a little also but is not a problem.

Cheers

Yeah it's in need of something as you struggle to turn the wheel when it's in the air , I assume steel wool or something is ok to use to give the pistons a clean ? I will order a seal kit online , doesn't seem to be anyone local selling kits.

You may find that when you have rebuilt the callipers there will be a slight improvement but they may still hang on a little. I also replaced my discs after which made a slight extra improvement too.
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Jimmy82 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:30 pm

Only just fitted the brand new genuine discs and pads... only just noticed it doing it so Id suggest the pistons dont like releasing in the current position.
It was practically locked on if you tried to turn it by hand, I expect it to drag to some degree but it became a struggle to even push the bike.
2011 ZX10R
2010 KLX450R
Jimmy82
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Gosling1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:20 pm

normally when I do a number on brake calipers - I just disconnect the brake hoses altogether, remove the calipers - put a normal bolt (not banjo) of the same size into the banjo fitting - just a few turns to seal this is fine - then hook up a piece of clear hose to the air-duster, loosen the bleed nipple a bit - fit the other end of the clear hose on the brake nipple - then just do a couple of really quick short bursts of compressed air into the caliper.

You need to wrap the caliper in a towel before you do this ;) - and it will push the pistons out in an instant. No pulling with pliers or sticking things in to remove. Yes you have to be careful. No, it won't damage anything as long as you are careful :kuda:

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby dutchy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:36 pm

Gosling1 wrote:normally when I do a number on brake calipers - I just disconnect the brake hoses altogether, remove the calipers - put a normal bolt (not banjo) of the same size into the banjo fitting - just a few turns to seal this is fine - then hook up a piece of clear hose to the air-duster, loosen the bleed nipple a bit - fit the other end of the clear hose on the brake nipple - then just do a couple of really quick short bursts of compressed air into the caliper.

You need to wrap the caliper in a towel before you do this ;) - and it will push the pistons out in an instant. No pulling with pliers or sticking things in to remove. Yes you have to be careful. No, it won't damage anything as long as you are careful :kuda:

8)

Yep. Re built mine on the 7 last year. Nothing was going to get those bastard pistons out until I gave them a quick blast with the air. From memory I did mine after splitting the calipers......... Some how. Definitely wrap them or something. You don't want the pistons flying out.
I plan on living forever..............so far so good!!
Self appointed official poon-tang image supplier to KSRC
2010 KSRC MotoGP tipping champion

1998 ZX7R
1982 GPZ 550
dutchy
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion