ZX9R F - Better brake options?

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

ZX9R F - Better brake options?

Postby Mitch » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:13 am

Hi all

I have had the 9R out a couple of times and things have gone really well. The only thing that I would like to improve on is the braking as I jump on the picks and even though she does pull up I am consistently wondering if she actually will.

I am not looking for anything major but just something to give a little more confidence. I already have braided lines, HH pads, and 5.1 fluid but the rest is standard.

Anybody got any suggestions without going OTT?
ZX9R F2 track bike aka Big Blue
www.bigmitchracing.com
Mitch
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX9R
State: Queensland

Re: ZX9R F - Better brake options?

Postby Kwakked Up » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:48 am

Just fitted radial master cylinder to my zx7 and it feels nicer. Not sure I am pulling up any quicker but it doesn't feel as wooden.

It is a brembo master made for yahama r1.
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby paulsj » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:23 pm

I fitted a radial master of a gsxr1000 which initially made it terrible but turned out I only had about 2 out of 6 pistons working on each caliper. They were well and truly gunned up and siezed the pistons. Put a seal kit through them and now there awesome stopping power regularly waving the rear wheel around in the air under hard braking......time for some fork revalving now.

While reading up about the 6 pot tockikos gumming up if the pistons was a common cause. Yearly cleaning of the pistons by removing pads putting a piece of wood in and carefully pumping pistons out more than where the pads and disk kept them then spray with brake cleaner and scrub with a stiff bristle brush seemed pretty common to keep them working well in the uk after winter due to road grime etc. seal kits are pretty affordable if your happy to tackle a freshen up yourself. Just use lots of brake cleaner to scrub them up nicely in the bores pistons and passages and would be my tip for improved braking if you havnt already done it within the last 5 years.
paulsj
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

State: Victoria

Postby Mitch » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:39 pm

Calipers are in good shape (all four pots moving out and retracting nicely). Looks like I will be shopping around for a radial MC.

I can't afford a new 19mm Brembo so I guess I will be looking for a std one off a newish wreck. Are any better/worse than another?
www.bigmitchracing.com
Mitch
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby z900/zx9 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:55 pm

Maybe obvious but how worn are the rotors ??.
http://tinypic.com/hu369k.jpg[/img]
[b]Z900, z900RS , H2 Ninja 1000 Supercharged. FPV Supercharged Pursuit ute..
z900/zx9
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Mitch » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:25 pm

Both front wheels have rotors on them that are just under 5mm (4.9ish). I gave one set a good clean up with some wet/dry and some cleaning alcohol after I splilled brake fluid on them when changing it.

Result: same feel.

Don't get me wrong the 9R pulls up like I threw an anchor out the back but it is just lacking that 'feel of confidence' when pushing the nose into the tarmac. :kuda:

Laidback did a great job of setting the suspension up too, just look at the even wear on that back tyre :kuda:

image.jpg
image.jpg (89.06 KiB) Viewed 6754 times
www.bigmitchracing.com
Mitch
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Gosling1 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:16 pm

Mitch - I used a 19mm radial m/c from a gixxer 600 - was told that these m/c are the same between 600/750/1000 ? Pretty cheap on ebay, I think mine was less than $100 posted. This m/c is till fitted to the MFP12.

Best modification to the brakes ever. Changed to 1-finger braking around town and 2-fingers only needed for emergency. Stopped all the fade I used to get on fast downhill runs (eg Hotham) - easy to do, I also had braided lines, HH pads etc - but the 19mm radial was the icing on the cake.

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Mitch » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:57 am

ok, i have followed the advice of the wise sages of KSRC as it has never let me down before and acquired a radial master cylinder from a CBR1000. I was about to buy one from a GSX-R but i thought i would see a mate who owns a bike shop first. He told me to stay away from the GSX-R units due to a recall about faulty seals allowing air in to the system???

CBR MC.jpg
CBR1000 MC
CBR MC.jpg (21.28 KiB) Viewed 6612 times

trouble with the CBR MC is that it is too wide (from the bar mount to the leading edge of the lever and made contact with the fairing support bracket reducing the left hand turn considerably and slamming on the brake just to let you know about it.

ZX9R1.jpg
MC hitting Bracket
ZX9R1.jpg (21.83 KiB) Viewed 6612 times

So i had my mate Cameron (Fitter/Turner, Boilermaker, Mechanic, General Awesome guy) mod the bracket so it would fit. What Cameron did was to remove the inside of the tube to create a void that the MC could move into. Then he reinforced the bracket by inserting a curved piece of metal and tig welding it into place.

ZX9R Bracket 2.jpg
Bracket 1
ZX9R Bracket 2.jpg (18.18 KiB) Viewed 6612 times

ZX9R Bracket.jpg
ZX9R Bracket.jpg (18.47 KiB) Viewed 6612 times

ZX9R Bracket 3.jpg
Fits nice now
ZX9R Bracket 3.jpg (17.46 KiB) Viewed 6612 times

So now I have a radial MC on my ZX9R. Just need a bit of decent weather and a track day to see if it money well spent.
www.bigmitchracing.com
Mitch
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Mitch » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:51 am

Well I have been out to Morgan Park for a ride day and have given the new MC a throughout testing. What a difference the radial MC makes. From memory it is only a fraction bigger than the stock unit but I was able to pull on the lever confidently all day without issue. I had the rear wheel in the air a number of times stopping on the downhill approach to turn 4 and that freaked me out a couple of times, but was used to it by the end of the day.

thank for the advice everyone. :kuda:
www.bigmitchracing.com
Mitch
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Nelso » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:19 pm

Mitch wrote:Laidback did a great job of setting the suspension up too, just look at the even wear on that back tyre :kuda:

image.jpg

Which bike is it that you got off him?
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Postby Mitch » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:08 pm

Nelso wrote:
Mitch wrote:Laidback did a great job of setting the suspension up too, just look at the even wear on that back tyre :kuda:

The attachment image.jpg is no longer available

Which bike is it that you got off him?

zx9r 640 green.jpg
this one
zx9r 640 green.jpg (52.4 KiB) Viewed 6534 times
www.bigmitchracing.com
Mitch
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER