'B' model ZX-9R's

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

'B' model ZX-9R's

Postby i_cruise » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:16 pm

I have the opportunity to pick one up cheaply soon. Although i'm aware they're heavier and inferior in most ways to the later models, I think looks wise theyre the pick of the bunch and I dont ride my bikes hard enough to worry about a few less HP and a few more kegs. Is there anything fundamentally wrong with them?? I owned a ZXR750 L for a while and i'm imagine it's just a comfier version of that with a bigger donk. Any info from current/ex owners much appreciated.!
1993 ZXR 750 L1
i_cruise

Bike: ZXR750
State: Victoria

Re: 'B' model ZX-9R's

Postby Phil » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:08 am

Gearbox issues on the first model 94, mostly fixed on the 95 I think but the B3 and B4 were the pick
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby marksesh » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:20 am

I have a 95, great motor, Jonno had it before me and knows more about them.
Phil is the expert, he would be my pick to take advise from.

Good luck you will love it.
Team 4 minutes behind everyone else.
marksesh
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX12R
State: New South Wales

Postby JimZXR » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:11 pm

If all fails I'll take the engine off you to build a ZXR7/9!!!

Good luck with it, I had a C model years ago and that was a beast!
Road, Sky, Road, Sky, Road..... Ambulance

1993 ZXR750 Track Bike
1994 ZXR750 Ongoing project
JimZXR
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Kwak addict » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:07 pm

i_cruise wrote: I imagine it's just a comfier version of that with a bigger donk. Any info from current/ex owners much appreciated.!

Spot on.
Not as sharp a steerer as the 750 Ls & definately a softer & more comfy ride but the extra power & torque makes them great to ride IMO. Best of both worlds is to put the 9 powerplant in the 750 frame :kuda:
The B1s had head gasket issues but that's all I've ever heard going wrong with them.
The B model 9s are a more grunty & less revvy feeling motor than the C models but nothing beats the top end rush of the C.
Ex T.K.A. ZXR 750 RR
ZXR 7/9 L3 Streetfighter
ZX9 C Trackbike - ex Maccarocks & Slow & Wobbly... still a weapon!

Plus a ZX7 & a few ZXR Ls & ZX9 Bs & Cs in various stages of completion.
Kwak addict
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

State: Victoria

Postby Kev » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:30 pm

I have a B2 model that I have owned since new. It has over 100,000kms on the clock and has never missed a beat. I haven't had to do anything to it other than the regular services. It was daily ride until a few years ago when I decided to turn it into a race bike and even though its heavier and less nimble than most bikes I race against, it still does ok. Kawasaki made a bit of a design boo boo with the rear suspension on the B1-B3 models and swing arm pivot location on all the models, but nothing that can't be overcome with some minor modifications.
Kev
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX9R

Postby ZX9R Man » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:37 pm

I realise this is an old thread but I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth for someone seeking info on this topic.

During the 12 years ownership of my B1 I never had any reliability issues whatsoever.

just the usual service item such as, brake pads, battery, oil/filter. Air cleaner was a K & N type which I would wash.

The only weakness was the gearbox. When pushed hard from 1st to 2nd you had to be decisive and firm with your application otherwise you wind up with no gear or that dreaded drrrrr clunk. I learnt how to deal with this from the beginning.
Slow speed changes coupled with laziness also got you those drrrr clunk shifts. I also found myself finding neutral from 3rd to 4th sometimes. Again lazy shifting and you wouldn't be able to go down a gear to lock it back in, you had to go up with a certain notch these boxes are notorious for.
The only real downside on these bikes otherwise a pretty great machine for it's time.
ZX9R Man
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion