Engine misfires

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

Engine misfires

Postby zx7rtas » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:48 am

Just wanted to know if anyone could help me out with a problem i have with my zx7r.The problem being,the bike has a severe misfire ,and nearly cuts right out,then is followed by an almighty backfire ,then everything seems fine.I rode about 50 kms and this happened about 3 times,usually under acceleration or when just cruising.
zx7rtas

Bike: ZX7R
State: Tasmania

Re: Engine misfires

Postby TONY-J » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:51 pm

well it could be alot of different things like inlet airleaks, coils, leads, dirty carbys, electrical.

i would start with the simple things first an ill go out on a limb here as this happend to my brothers gsxr600 and sounded very much the same, well with his when you would accelerate hard it would cough fart and miss then cut out,and it did give a huge backfire when it cut back in aswell, it would even do it when going over a few hard bumps.

we then realised that when it cut out if we gave the side stand a kick / wiggle it would come back to life, the reason it was doing this is because under hard acceleration the bike would squat and the side stand would foul on the fairing enough to move it, due to this the side stand switch would release and kill the motor (saftey thing) then as you roll down the road it giggles itself back to place.

this is easy to test just use a cable tie to hold the switch in then take it for a spin, if it doesnt do it again its that.
if it is that you can leave cable tie on, fix it where its fouling or bypass the switch.

it may or may not be this but it is a simple test and if it is the problem your cheerin but if it isn't you only wasted 5 min of your life.

good luck mate :lol:
84 RZ350
84 GPZ900r
91 ZZR1100
06 ZX14
TONY-J
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX14R
State: South Australia

Re: Engine misfires

Postby ZX9R Man » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:08 pm

I wonder what the outcome was ??

+1 on the side stand kill switch potential. That's good insight. Most would always go for the obvious things, not that you can't rule them out either.
I guess it's a process of elimination. Start with the simple things first and hoping this fixes it and if not, progress to the other items.

Great avatar too btw..
ZX9R Man
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R
State: New South Wales

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion