Broken Frame ZX9R

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

Re: Broken Frame ZX9R

Postby ZX9R Man » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:14 am

Man I feel depressed after hearing about the cracked frame. I am very surprised that this sort of thing can happen.
I own the exact same colour/ model and compliance is 11/2000 but delivered exactly 12 months later. Not sure if its an E1 or E2. The log book specifies E2.
Anyhow, I realise this thread is getting on but I have to know if Kawasaki are still honouring this outrageous situation.
This is a major safety concern.
I am concerned, why ? I purchased my bike only recently with only 4300 kays on the ODO. One owner. currently unregistered.
It has been stored for most of its life.
I want to know if and when I register it and start putting the kays on it will Kawasaki still help out if my frame starts cracking In 2015 and counting?
ZX9R Man
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R
State: New South Wales

Postby ZX9R Man » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:13 pm

105A.jpg
[/quote]

Hey daz, Where did you get the scale model ? Interested in selling to me if you still have it ?
Cheers mate. Hope the bike is ok.
ZX9R Man
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby ZX9R Man » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:19 pm

Phoenix wrote:Send pix to Kawasaki Aust. I'm sure they would be interested!!!
Cheers - Phoenix

Did you hear back from Kawasaki regarding this appalling situation with their frames ?

This is unacceptable on their part and a recall should have been issued. Bloody makes me mad !
Thinking you can be riding along at some point and the bike splits in two killing its rider.
I have a family and I'm sure most of us do. You'd think the company would have this as top priority.
Very, very poor indeed.
ZX9R Man
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Daz9R » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:01 pm

ZX9R Man wrote:

Hey daz, Where did you get the scale model ? Interested in selling to me if you still have it ?
Cheers mate. Hope the bike is ok.[/quote]

I got the Model on ebay second hand.
I'll hang on to it as its the only bike that I have as I sold my 9.

I never did hear from Kawasaki and the dealer I dealt with is now selling Ducatis.
When I was researching the problem there werent any issues with Australian bikes that I found.
There were some in the States but these were earlier '98 models.
I sold the bike in december with 100,000 k's on it and had no more issues in that time.
Chuck Norris counted to infinity.

Twice!
Daz9R
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

State: Victoria

Postby ZX9R Man » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:01 pm

When you say, there were no issues with Australian bikes, I see you're from Pearcedale, Victoria.
Was yours an import then ? I mean a non Australian model.
Last edited by ZX9R Man on Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZX9R Man
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby ZX9R Man » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:02 pm

I'd really love to get my hands on one of those scale models. I've searched Eprey and found nothing.
Gee the colours look fantastic !
ZX9R Man
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Daz9R » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:40 pm

ZX9R Man wrote:When you say, there were no issues with Australian bikes, I see you're from Pearcedale, Victoria.
Was yours an import then ? I mean a non Australian model.

No it wasn't an import.
I just searched the net and didn't find any reported problems.
Chuck Norris counted to infinity.

Twice!
Daz9R
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

State: Victoria

Postby ZX9R Man » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:08 pm

Sorry to keep bugging you like this. I'm a little confused.

You say that you researched this issue and found that there weren't any issues with Australian bikes. Yours is/was such a bike and yet it cracked the frame in spectacular fashion.
It can't be bad luck unless you abused the machine, which I doubt. These frames should never crack like this during normal usage unless crashed of course. And even then it's a fair stretch.
How many cases do you think there could be in Australia ? Did your local dealer shed any light at all ?
Maybe it was just a bad batch made from a bad metal recipe at the time.
I thought Kawasaki metallurgy was supposed to be the best in the business ! I know Honda had some bad ones.
I can't see how the weld has anything to do with it as it has been reported in places. It's clearly a stress fracture at the frames most load section and it failed badly. The welds all look intact.
I have read that a bunch of frames were welded in one particular place and when this issue surfaced Kawasaki blamed this as being the sole reason. Apparently the subsequent frames were welded somewhere else after this.
I don't know. I still believe it had something to do with the strength of the metal and metallurgy had lacked at some point in the quality control department.
ZX9R Man
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Previous

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion