Master Cylinder for 96 ZX6

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

Master Cylinder for 96 ZX6

Postby Poyda » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:52 pm

I need a new front master cylinder for my 1996 zx6. I fitted a second hand one a little while ago and replaced a leaking front brake line, did a full bleed and all was good but the lever has too much travel again. The pads and rotors are still good, and the lines are ok, it's not loosing fluid anywhere so I'm confident it's the master cylinder. I've looked on ebay for the generic sort of stuff but i'm very dubious about it.

So I'm after suggestions for a replacement, possibly off a later model to try and eradicate the typical kwaka brake problems.

Any useful and constructive suggestions greatly appreciated.
Pete

The (no longer) ugly 96 ZX6R
And now with another Purple and Orange 96 ZX9R
Poyda
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: Master Cylinder for 96 ZX6

Postby Strika » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:07 pm

Poyda wrote:I need a new front master cylinder for my 1996 zx6. I fitted a second hand one a little while ago and replaced a leaking front brake line, did a full bleed and all was good but the lever has too much travel again. The pads and rotors are still good, and the lines are ok, it's not loosing fluid anywhere so I'm confident it's the master cylinder. I've looked on ebay for the generic sort of stuff but i'm very dubious about it.

So I'm after suggestions for a replacement, possibly off a later model to try and eradicate the typical kwaka brake problems.

Any useful and constructive suggestions greatly appreciated.

Try this Poyda, this is a little trick we used and it worked mint. Track down the master cylinder of pretty much any bike with 6 piston calipers and mount it up. A ZX9 M/C from a 00 will work as will a Suzuki GSXR1000 K2 (2002) one. :)
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby Poyda » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:26 pm

Thanks Strika, you're full of useful info.

So can someone tell me the diamater of a zx10 bar. There's a clean looking m/cyl on ebay thats cheap at the moment and I want to make sure it will fit without too much modding. Theres also a K2 one thats a bit corroded but nothing a bit of fine wet and dry wont fix
Pete

Poyda
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Strika » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:58 pm

Poyda wrote:Thanks Strika, you're full of useful info.

So can someone tell me the diamater of a zx10 bar. There's a clean looking m/cyl on ebay thats cheap at the moment and I want to make sure it will fit without too much modding. Theres also a K2 one thats a bit corroded but nothing a bit of fine wet and dry wont fix

You'll find the bar diameters of the jap stuff pretty common. A 10 M/C should wrap around a 6 bar no worries. But a 10 M/C is coupled up to four piston Radials so apart from the fact that the M/C is radial too, there won't be much benefit. I'd grab the K2 M/C! :)
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Poyda » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:10 pm

Mmm ok, I see you point and the logic is obvious.

But putting spewie parts on a kwaka is sacrilege.

Ok well its still at a good price, so I'll leave the wife in charge of winning the auction while I'm at my mates watchin the GP

Thanks again for the info Strika :supz:
Pete

Poyda
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Strika » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:10 am

Poyda wrote:Mmm ok, I see you point and the logic is obvious.

But putting spewie parts on a kwaka is sacrilege.

Ok well its still at a good price, so I'll leave the wife in charge of winning the auction while I'm at my mates watchin the GP

Thanks again for the info Strika :supz:

Not technically correct!!! ;) Most of the Jap manufacturers use common parts suppliers. Nippondenso or Mitsubishi CDI's, Nissin,Brembo,Tokico brake systems. The only real difference is in pad material etc.,!
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion