will a '02 zx6r muffler fit my '96 zx6r?

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

will a '02 zx6r muffler fit my '96 zx6r?

Postby rudey » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:29 pm

hey guys. im thinking of buying a muffler. found a used one that fits the 2002 zx6r. i have a 1996 zx6r. they both appear to have a 3 bolt flange. does anyone know if the bolts are in teh same sots? will it fit?

also while im here, has anyone got any reviews on a 'roo racing' carbon muffler? is it stupidly loud?
rudey

Bike: ZX6R
State: Victoria

Re: will a '02 zx6r muffler fit my '96 zx6r?

Postby rudey » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:32 pm

i called kawasaki and they told me that it 'looks' like the inner diameter of the flange is bigger on the 02. i can not see how that would be a bad thing. any comments?
rudey

Bike: ZX6R
State: Victoria

Postby mike-s » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:29 pm

The only *REAL* way to check is just get a pair of vernier calipers and measure the OD of your pipe, that should be 65mm from memory (thats what is on my RF and its pipe is a clean swap for the can on your bike). Then get calipers/a ruler and measure up the prospective can and take it from there.
Another possibility that may cause it to look a bit bigger on the 02 is there may be room for a gasket ring of some sort on the lip of the seat on the muffler, there was on mine, perhaps there is on yours too.

Also with the bolt pattern, make sure that the bolt centre to bolt centre is the same. Bolt width doesn't matter as much as a roundfile can clean any minor fitting issues up :twisted: :lol: 8) 8) 8) 8)
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Suzuki
State: New South Wales

Postby Sulli » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:46 pm

no they don't fit :( without modification distance between the bolts are different and the flange is different
However you can get an exhaust shop to make up an adapter for a few dollars :roll:
Nostradamus probably got it right
Sulli
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX9R
State: Queensland

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion