Blonde Question - Tokico Calipers

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

Blonde Question - Tokico Calipers

Postby cowasaki » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:53 pm

Yup.. dumb blonde question.

Been through my manual thingie.. but I still need to ask.

Will Tokico 6 pot calipers from a 02 zx6 fit my 95 zx6 that currently has only 4 pot Tokico's on it ??

Thanks

Carly
cowasaki
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: GPz500
State: Western Australia

Re: Blonde Question - Tokico Calipers

Postby greenman43 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:29 pm

No worries, my wife’s blonde so I speak the lingo fluently :)

Not a dumb question Carly, but there's quite a few technical things you need to look at ; unless someone else has already done this and can provide practical experience, here's what needs to be considered :

• Distance between centres of the mounting points on the calipers – will it bolt straight up to your forks, or would it need an adaptor bracket
• O/D of the disc - is the disc a larger diameter on the later model
• Width of swept area of the disc – measure from the outside of the disc to the inside of the swept area (area that is touched by the pads) ; chances are it’s narrower on the 6p disc, I don’t think this would affect you as long as the pad width is no more than the swept width
• Disc offset : place a 6p caliper over the disc, and see where the mounting lugs are relative to the holes in the caliper – it’ll be obvious straight away whether a) the holes line up, b) you need to have spacers made and get longer high-quality bolts, or c) you’d need adaptors made
• The 6p caliper will have a different bore area to the old 4p (that is, if you take the radius of each individual piston and calculate the area using Pi R squared, the 6p almost certainly will be more than the 4p). This will change your hydraulic ratio, and if the new calipers have more area, your brake lever will have a lighter pull with more travel, it will have more power, but it will also have less feel (not necessarily good under heavy braking). I once swapped a ZXR 5/8” master cylinder for an R1 14mm unit, and the difference was astounding. The easy solution here would be to get a matching master cylinder for the calipers.

I can’t think of any thing else, maybe someone else will point out something I’ve missed.

All the best,
Brian
07 ZX10R track 09 ZX6R road/track 93 ZXR750 race 89 GPZ900 project
Do not walk behind me, for I may not be leading
Do not walk in front of me, for I may not be following
Do not walk alongside me, for the path may be narrow
Just piss off and leave me alone
greenman43
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Postby Strika » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:59 pm

You could easily have some adapter brackets made to suit. However, if you are after a bolt off bolt on solution, go hunt down a set of GSXR1000 K2 (2002) six potters! they literally bolt straight on! ;) Oh, and a M/C which pushes a touch more voulme than the stocker also helps! One off a K2 etc.,!
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby cowasaki » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:25 pm

wow... great replies.

Thanks heaps........ will do the checking and hopefully get a better idea of what the hell goes on with my bike.

Cheers

Carly
cowasaki
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: GPz500
State: Western Australia

Postby greenman43 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:18 pm

No worries, have fun :)

Cheers,
Brian