7r top end noise... one for the technically minded

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

7r top end noise... one for the technically minded

Postby mattyv74 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:14 pm

Hey Guys, been procrastinating (spelling..?) about study so I have dragged Bluefly's stolen and recovered 7r out and got it running.
The theiving bastards have basically flogged the ring out of the bike. The oil was low, and what was there was like crud. I've changed all the fluids, new filter, cleaned air filter, cleaned and re-gapped the plugs. It starts up a treat.
Having had a few of these engines over the years and i have to say this is particulary noisey in the top end. Initially i just thought the timing chain needed doing, no biggy, but on closer inspection with the tank and air box off the noise is definately comming from the left side of the head. I've never had top-end trouble with one of these before. Alegedly when the dead shit(literally) crashed the bike, it lay on it's side running for a bit? Funny since every time I've laid my other 7r down it cuts out almost instanly. Any ideas? My thoughts include timing chain, shims/buckets, stetched or bent valve, broken valve spring, even cam bearing?

I will look at pulling it down in the next little while, but does anybody know inherrent problems with these? Would be nice to know what i might find.

cheers 8)
It is far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even if chequered with failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, as they live in grey twilight that knows no victory nor defeat.
mattyv74
Team Kitty Litter

Bike: ZX7R
State: Queensland

Re: 7r top end noise... one for the technically minded

Postby Smitty » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:49 pm

Matt

how are things in Brisvegas...??

the bike noise?
what sort?
rattly, zoomy,knock-knock, tapppy????

might give us a bit of a clue
coz basiically these things are pretty bulletproof (cam chains excepted)

hth

Smitty
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX12R
State: Victoria

Postby mattyv74 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:24 pm

Hey Smitty, Brissie is great. I do miss home though. Man you can ride all winter up here and not get an icecream headache. :D

The noise sounds tappetty rather than a rattley chain.
It is far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even if chequered with failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, as they live in grey twilight that knows no victory nor defeat.
mattyv74
Team Kitty Litter

Postby Smitty » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:43 pm

mattyv74 wrote:Hey Smitty, Brissie is great. I do miss home though. Man you can ride all winter up here and not get an icecream headache. :D

hahaha :D

The noise sounds tappetty rather than a rattley chain.

hmm..tappety sez shim out?
broken valve spring (don't suppose you know if it revvd its head off when dropped..?)
or bent valve

I have heard high or 'top end' tappety noises in cars ...with cracked pistons or small end bearings that are shot
(especially floating pin type) but I doubt whether they would be an issue here

next...
you say it starts ok ( and I guess it idles ok)
what happens if you rev it to say 4000
does it miss? or run clean?

cheers

Smitty
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby mattyv74 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:15 pm

Hmm, shhh... Miss B will spit it, but i just warmed it and took it for a spin. Will clutch up in second and carry whell all the way to 12k or so.
Then did a few good hard roll ons and it just revs up with no apparent miss. Just noisey.
Deffinately not big end as there are no noises at all down that end. Idles fine so I assume gudgeon, skirts, and crown are ok.
Maybe it's just a shim adjustment thats needed, but I really don't understand why one would be particualarly noisier than the others.
mattyv74
Team Kitty Litter

Postby Smitty » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:40 pm

mattyv74 wrote:Hmm, shhh... Miss B will spit it, but i just warmed it and took it for a spin. Will clutch up in second and carry whell all the way to 12k or so.
Then did a few good hard roll ons and it just revs up with no apparent miss. Just noisey.
Deffinately not big end as there are no noises at all down that end. Idles fine so I assume gudgeon, skirts, and crown are ok.
Maybe it's just a shim adjustment thats needed, but I really don't understand why one would be particualarly noisier than the others.

grit...shit caught???
or yeah just needs a shim adjustment
hmmm... maybe (a long shot) one of the rockers ran dry when on its side

Matt
as it runs ok ( a clutch up in 2nd sez so :twisted: ) I guess the next thing is to pull
the cover off and have a bit of a peek and while its off, check the clearances
can't think of anything else that would go tapppppy :o

cheers
Smitty
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Kwak addict » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:17 pm

Ex T.K.A. ZXR 750 RR
ZXR 7/9 L3 Streetfighter
ZX9 C Trackbike - ex Maccarocks & Slow & Wobbly... still a weapon!

Plus a ZX7 & a few ZXR Ls & ZX9 Bs & Cs in various stages of completion.
Kwak addict
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZXR750

Postby Smitty » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:16 pm

Kwak addict wrote:If all else fails.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/kawasaki-MOTOR-I ... dZViewItem" target="_blank

...hmmm

in a ZX7R :twisted:
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!