[97 ZX9R] Advice

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

[97 ZX9R] Advice

Postby Judgen » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:05 pm

Heya all,

I am asking for advice on a bike of interest as most of you know more about bikes than I do.

So I value your input and recommendation.

The bike I am looking at is a 1997 Kawasaki ZX9R for $3500. 97,000Km on the clock.

It has braided front brake lines, a Megacycle mufler, new chain and sprockets and a new Michelin Pilot Power rear tyre.

I have had a quick check over by a friend who took it for a ride and gave a basic report.

Here is the results for the ZX9R he sent me.

It will need the front left indicator replaced for RWC

It has a carbon fibre muffler that may not pass RWC but this depends on how strict the person is testing it.

It has braided brake lines but im sure if they are RWC legal in QLD.

The Front lever also has to much free play which could be as simple as bleeding the brakes. Worst case it might require a new master cylinder repair kit.

The motor does not blow smoke.

On my test ride i found it to have the normal amount of power for a ZX9R.

The gear box felt normal, the clutch felt fine.

There is a noise from the motor which sounds like a clutch basket rattle.

The left side fairing has cosmetic scrathes on it but no breaks or cracks so it could be fixed cheaply.

Do you like it is worth getting considering the price and fixing it up or should I look else where?

Judgen

Bike: ZX9R
State: Queensland

Re: [97 ZX9R] Advice

Postby dave#3 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:49 pm

You should be able to get a spud for the can to make it legal, I had one made up for mine for about $30. The braided lines should be OK for RWC as long as they're ADR compliant. I wouldn't worry too much about a rattle or the scratches, and, if the services have been done close to on-time it should still have 30,000+ kms left in it. See if you can get it for $3k and I'd say it's an OK deal.
dave#3 | '03 z1000 roadie | '08 zx6r tracky | '03 KLX400R dirty
http://www.oz4x4.net/gallery2
Winner - KSRC Murphy's Law Award 2008
dave#3
Team Ninja

Bike: Z1000
State: New South Wales

Postby Mojo67 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:28 am

Not sure, I'd say there would be a few here would read what your mate wrote and grimace. I bought a cheap 96 9 once. Wasn't so cheap after I spent $2700 replacing the engine. Lots of things can go wrong in 97K.

Where are you getting it from? Interstate? You need to weigh up how much its going to cost to ship it (or ride it) and register it here.

How insignificant the "cosmetic scratches" are is a very subjective thing and I don't know too many fairings that can be "fixed cheaply". Sounds like its just been dropped off the stand, mine had that. All depends on what you can live with. You just don't want to have the pride and joy come off the truck and be disappointed. I was!

It didn't blow smoke, what, at the shop? How did he know whether it blew smoke when he was riding it?

Sorry to rain on your parade mate but I wouldn't touch this one unless you had a proper mechanical rundown on it AND saw it yourself.

If you weigh all this up and still want it, best of luck with it. 9's can be a cantankerous money pit, but they'll love you forever and take you great places. 8)
Cheers
Dave (Mojo67)
FZR600 >> ZX6R >> ZX9R >> ZX9R Brisbane
Paper needs nerf, scissors ok. Signed, rock.
Mojo67
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Strika » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:52 am

I would agree with Mojo on this one! It's a B model not a C, thus is about as popular as the clap! I reckon if it was mint, it would be worth 4K. So take off the spend to get it right again and I reckon as is it's worth $1000-$1500. HTH
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby Judgen » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:45 am

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have taken it all onboard and I think I'll skip on this bike.

You have raised a few questions about said bike and the more I think about it, it seems like a risky buy.

The fact there is no RWC or Warranty and the fact the engine has a rattle that "sounds like" the clutch basket (but may not be and could be something worse) raises a few red flags.

Sure I could buy it for $3000, but could also end up needing to put a new engine in it and another $3000+ into it to get it right. I'd be better off saving a few more dollars and getting a sound bike than take the risk of losing it all on a lemon.

Again thank you all for your input.

Regards,
Dean
2000 ZX9-R E1
Judgen

Postby Neka79 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:27 pm

Judgen wrote:Thanks everyone for your comments. I have taken it all onboard and I think I'll skip on this bike.

You have raised a few questions about said bike and the more I think about it, it seems like a risky buy.

The fact there is no RWC or Warranty and the fact the engine has a rattle that "sounds like" the clutch basket (but may not be and could be something worse) raises a few red flags.

Sure I could buy it for $3000, but could also end up needing to put a new engine in it and another $3000+ into it to get it right. I'd be better off saving a few more dollars and getting a sound bike than take the risk of losing it all on a lemon.

Again thank you all for your input.

Regards,
Dean

be better off throwing the $6k at sneakypete and trying to get his blue zx9r (98??)
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
1996 VS series 2 S pak Ute
Neka79
Extreme Post Whore :-)
Extreme Post Whore :-)

Bike: Z900
State: South Australia

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion