HELP ZX2R problem!!

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

HELP ZX2R problem!!

Postby ross79 » Tue May 22, 2007 12:11 pm

My girlfriend got her learners and ended up buying a ZX2R in green to compliment my bike :D It's a neat 1991 model.
Bike was fine when I toook it for a spin on a nice sunny day.
But riding it home in the rain it started running like crap and kept stalling at the lights. Seems to run fine when cold but once it warms up it doesn't want to idle and basically refuses to run below 10,000rpm!! Below this point it stutters and misbehaves.
I rang the owner and he thinks it might be condensation in the fuel tank but says he never had a problem with it. I'm thinking maybe the fuel pump? but doesn't explain why it would run alright when cold. The bike is stock, even the pipe is standard. Any ideas?? Thinking of pulling the carby appart on the weekend. I really hate carby's that's why I bought an injected bike, but didn't have much of a choice when it comes to 250s.
Also does anyone know of any forums dedicated to the ZX2R??
SOLD 2000 ZX12R .
ross79
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Suzuki
State: Victoria

Postby plane » Tue May 22, 2007 12:57 pm

The fact that it runs crap in the rain suggests that there could be water getting to the spark plugs or into the fuel/air mixture.

Pop a new set of plugs in it before you try anything. They are cheap and easy to change.

If they don't help then it could be crap in the idle circuit of the carbies.

Good luck,
Pete
Live Fast, Die Sideways
plane
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZRX
State: Queensland

Postby ross79 » Tue May 22, 2007 1:01 pm

Thanks Pete, will order a new set of plugs today.
SOLD 2000 ZX12R .
ross79
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby mike-s » Tue May 22, 2007 6:20 pm

oh and put a bike-sized fuel filter in the works too, helps stop a LOT of the crap getting in, not water, but then again i doubt that its water in the fuel as it'd be displaying the problem a lot earlier, unless you just happened to refill just before it started raining.
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

State: New South Wales

Postby Neka79 » Tue May 22, 2007 8:28 pm

mate..have a look at the thread about a zzr that has same symptons....

could be blocked air line under the tank
could be blocked fuel line
water in tank
water/crap in carby
wrong plugs??

id pull the tank off and have a good look around there, check air and fuel lines, check air filter, and check plugs

i wouldnt expect the 91 zx2r would have a fuel pump??
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
1996 VS series 2 S pak Ute
Neka79
Extreme Post Whore :-)
Extreme Post Whore :-)

Bike: Z900
State: South Australia

Postby ross79 » Wed May 23, 2007 4:12 pm

Put a new set of plugs in it last night and changed the whole exhaust system while I had the fairings off, at least it has a good note now :D
Got too late to try it out. Will see how it behaves today once I get home from work. If that fails I'll be checking the airbox, but filled the bike up the other day to see if some BP Ultimate helps :oops:
SOLD 2000 ZX12R .
ross79
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby adge82 » Wed May 23, 2007 8:03 pm

Did you fill up before or after the problem occurred?

Some bikes (250's especially) just dont like the higher octane stuff.
adge82
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R

Postby ross79 » Thu May 24, 2007 9:40 am

Filled up after. I just filled it with regular ULP, ran like crap, so once it was low enough I filled it with PULP, then 98 stuff and the problem is still there!
I've put a new set of plugs in and it hasn't made a difference, it's driving me insane. At least it sounds good with the exhaust now :)
It stutters like crazy till 12,000 then takes off till about 16,000 then stutters really bad again. Anyone know how to get the seat off??? I've downloaded most of the manual for it but the site didn't have the chapter on fairings.
SOLD 2000 ZX12R .
ross79
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby mike-s » Thu May 24, 2007 1:26 pm

uhm, nfi mate, look under the ducktail for a keyhole or something. on my RF the keyhole is right underneath near the rack mounting bolts. bit of a bastard to get to regularly to be honest.

But i'd suggest once you get over that hurdle, the first thing to do would be to check the battery and the charging current, etc..

Then failing that remove the carbs and make sure they're working fine. The alternator should be roaring along and fine above 4krpm, so that shouldnt even be of concern as its farking up so high in the revs that its having issues.
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s

State: New South Wales

Postby Mr Sparkle » Thu May 24, 2007 1:37 pm

To take the seat off: remove the pillion seat, there is a handle inside, pull toward the rear of the bike, the back end of the seat should pop up. Battery + tools will be inside, from here you can take the fuel tank off and get crabs, I mean get at the carbs :lol:
http://www.gunnamotorsport.com

Instant ZX14, Just add P Plate
Mr Sparkle
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby ross79 » Thu May 24, 2007 1:54 pm

Mr Sparkle wrote:To take the seat off: remove the pillion seat, there is a handle inside, pull toward the rear of the bike, the back end of the seat should pop up. Battery + tools will be inside, from here you can take the fuel tank off and get crabs, I mean get at the carbs :lol:

Thanks for that. Had me scratching my head for a good 30mins before I gave up. Was pretty easy on my baby blade.
SOLD 2000 ZX12R .
ross79
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby ross79 » Mon May 28, 2007 8:44 am

Latest update:
Took it to a bike shop on Friday and with a $300 dollar bill in my hand they said it took them a long time but it was running too rich so they turned the mixtures down did a service (oil and filter, told them to leave the $70 plugs where they are) and it's running fine now. Anyway got there after work just at closing time to pick it up. Halfway home (5mins down the road) and it was running just as bad :evil: Same problem stutters badly at anything below 10,000rpm, won't idle, etc.
So I bought a new battery for it on the weekend. Charged it overnight and the next day we went for a ride and 5mins down the road it was doing the same thing. It ended up stalling so had to push start it (it was cranking over without a problem, but I figured 2mins of cranking will kill any battery).
Got it running with a push start. I'll see if I can track down a rectifier to replace and will take it back to the bike shop and demand they fix it as they did jack sh@t!! They better not try to charge me again for work I've already paid for :evil:
SOLD 2000 ZX12R .
ross79
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Neka79 » Mon May 28, 2007 6:44 pm

bastards...
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
1996 VS series 2 S pak Ute
Neka79