ZX9 engine - which year?

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

ZX9 engine - which year?

Postby Kwak addict » Sun May 20, 2007 6:48 pm

Fellow biker scum,
I have in my possession a ZX9R engine from what I believe is a 2000 model bike, I have a factory manual for my C model which gives me the engine No's for the '98 & '99 models on the back cover but this spare engine is not within that range, I'm hoping somebody from here has the manual for the later model & can confirm/deny the year of my spare.
The engine No. is ZX900OE0*****
While we're on the subject, does anyone know in which year Mr. K introduced plated bores in the 9?
Thanx in advance.
Ex T.K.A. ZXR 750 RR
ZXR 7/9 L3 Streetfighter
ZX9 C Trackbike - ex Maccarocks & Slow & Wobbly... still a weapon!

Plus a ZX7 & a few ZXR Ls & ZX9 Bs & Cs in various stages of completion.
Kwak addict
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZXR750
State: Victoria

Postby I-K » Mon May 21, 2007 1:06 am

Plated bores came in with the 2000 model, the ZX900E1.

Don't quote me on this, but the engine mount diameters will be bigger than on a C-model. Also, the ignition rotor is different (16 triggers instead of just 4), so you can't just plug an E-model engine into a C-model wiring loom, and the output shaft is longer, to space the chain out to fit around the E-model's fatter 190-section rear tyre on a 6" rim. The latter two could be circumvented by fitting a 4-trigger C-model ignition rotor and by shimming out the rear sprocket. The engine mounts, which may or may not be an issue, would require some inserts, or something.

Is the engine bare, or do you have the carbs, too; the jets, needles etc will be different to the C-model, too.

Also, C-model pipes don't fit, because the mouths of the exhaust ports are a couple of mm wider; the stud pattern's the same, mind you.
I-K
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Suzuki
State: New South Wales

Postby Kwak addict » Mon May 21, 2007 9:20 am

Thanx I-K, based on your info, I went & had another look at the engine, it has a 4 trigger rotor & upon closer inspection the Eng. No. is actually ZX900CE024*** so I'll do some more fishing around & hopefully it's a non - plated model so I can just bore & hone the cyl's for a 923 Wiseco kit without the need for hellishly expensive Nikasil plating.
Ex T.K.A. ZXR 750 RR
ZXR 7/9 L3 Streetfighter
ZX9 C Trackbike - ex Maccarocks & Slow & Wobbly... still a weapon!

Plus a ZX7 & a few ZXR Ls & ZX9 Bs & Cs in various stages of completion.
Kwak addict
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZXR750
State: Victoria

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion