Chain and Sprocket Change - 92 ZXR750

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

Chain and Sprocket Change - 92 ZXR750

Postby Specwarop » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:18 pm

Well I need to change the chain and sprockets on my 92 ZXR750 and was wondering how hard is it to do, if its your first time.

I have rebuilt a bike before but nothing as complicated as this bike. What are somethings i should look out for, etc?
Also the bike requires a 110link chain whereas i accidently bought a 114link chain. Can i cut the chain down, if so what with and how?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Matt
Specwarop

Postby Phil » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:28 pm

its not hard, make sure you measure the chain with the new sprockets before you cut it. also make sure the chain adjusters are wound in as far as possible when you do it. :wink:

should take about 2-3 hours depending on how fast you go and how many beers you drink while doing it. also make sure you have a bar or something to budge the front sprocket....its will be hard to get off.

HTH
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Re: Chain and Sprocket Change - 92 ZXR750

Postby Gosling1 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:50 pm

Specwarop wrote:..... Can i cut the chain down, if so what with and how?......

as per Phils advice, make sure you wind the adjusters all the way in first.

Once you have determined *exactly* how many links need to come off, then grab your trusty 4" angle grinder, and grind off the tops of the last link that is not required (ie it will be 3 or 4 links in from the end). You only need to grind off the top of the 2 posts on this link.

You also need a 'chain-breaker', in order to push the pins out of the link that you have just used the chain-breaker on. A good chain-breaker will last you a lifetime........your local bike shop should be able to source one for you. You only need to push the pins through far enough until they clear the sideplate. Once the sideplate has been removed, then the chain will be able to be removed.

Once the excess links have been removed, its just a matter of joining the ends of the new chain together with the joining link, and adjusting the chain. Make sure the joining link 'clip' is facing the correct way ie. closed end toward the front sprocket on top chain run.

If you don't need to change sprockets at the same time, then a quick way of changing chains *only* is to split the original chain first, attach one end of the new chain to the end of the old, pull the old chain out from the bottom run, and pull the new chain straight around the front sprocket until the old chain is entirely removed, undo the link and attach the end of the new chain to itself as described above..........(does that make sense)

Knock yourself out mate, changing chains is a piece of piss.

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Specwarop » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:15 pm

Okay i shall give it a go. Ill let you know how i end up.
Specwarop

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion