ZX9 Rubber

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

Postby z900/zx9 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:41 pm

I am on my 3rd set of metzler M3s and wont be changin anytime soon :D about 8,000 ks for a rear
http://tinypic.com/hu369k.jpg[/img]
[b]Z900, z900RS , H2 Ninja 1000 Supercharged. FPV Supercharged Pursuit ute..
z900/zx9
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Burky » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:01 pm

Weekendwarrior wrote:Hi,

Thanks for all the advice.

Yeah, just commuting really and a regular weekend ride, I am not a racer and even not sure if I am going to pursue the regular Sunday run at PITS as I am not really into the "lets see how far we can lean the machine over" thing. :D :D

I am on to what seems a good deal for a 180/55/17 Dunlop Sportmax D220, is this tyre okay for a plodder?

Does the 5% increase in height matter over the standard 50? works out about 10mm.

Regards,
John

:shock: just found out lastnight that the front is a Sportmax and the rear is a Power :shock: Does this cause any issues mixing tyre brands??
I was advised against it some time ago.

Sorry to hi-jack a bit John but you might learn something else also :wink:
"I live in my own little world. But it's OK. They know me here"
Burky
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby Burky » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:03 pm

ZX7R had corsa's, found them to be hard and not as sticky as the Pilots.
"I live in my own little world. But it's OK. They know me here"
Burky
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Poyda » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:21 pm

[quote="Loz] Suspension settings I'm running are very close to stock.
[/quote]

Factory standard settings arent much use to aussies. They are set for typical japanese that weigh 45kg soaking wet. getting your suspension right will make a difference to everything. If you're tyres aren't showing any of the typical wear signs you might be lucky, but it would be rare that standard settings suit. Just trying to help.

I had pilot powers on my 96 9r, got 6,500km out of them, including 6 track days, a couple of long tours, and 8 months of commuting. They only got changed after i sold the bike as it was almost due for rego and the new owner wanted to be safe.

Tyres can be a very personal thing, and some tyres just dont suit some bikes.
Pete

The (no longer) ugly 96 ZX6R
And now with another Purple and Orange 96 ZX9R
Poyda
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Weekendwarrior » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:41 pm

No problem Burky, quite interesting this stuff about tyres. Poyda makes a good comment about tyres being a personal thing. I had a set of BattleAxe's on the bike at one stage and quite liked the feel of them however did not seem to last as long as the Z4 brand.
Never thought about the suspension settings re rider weight, I do not know how to set the suspension e.g. Nitro canister and also there is a mechanical dial with 4 settings at the base of the main spring at the swingarm??

Regards,
John
Weekendwarrior

Postby Nanna10r » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:42 am

Strika wrote:Just take into consideration Weekendwarrior...that Nana's comments on grip mostly pertain to abandoned gold diggings and road Verge's! He doesn't appear to spend much time on two wheels! :lol: :lol:

"You Talking to me? " :wink:

Mate I just watched the 07 Supers Doopers Footage, sound off of course. PVC Tape over the mic next time ya rabit :roll:
Can't see any of you Kev's footage, i know it would of slowed him down for the first 5 minutes but maybe you want to lead out when the camera's are rolling.

I stand by my Record of a 25m Launch on a zx9r, get back to me when ya beat it. :P
"Nan & Pop Racing"
Poppy Hops on .... CBR150 (Superlite) CBR954 "Blade"
Nanna Naps on .... MoriWAKI NSR85 (Motolite) ZX10R "Crim"
We may ride like Old Can'ts, But Phuk we look DOOG !!!!!!
Nanna10r
Team Ninja

State: Queensland

Postby Strika » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:10 am

Pontikat wrote:
Strika wrote:Just take into consideration Weekendwarrior...that Nana's comments on grip mostly pertain to abandoned gold diggings and road Verge's! He doesn't appear to spend much time on two wheels! :lol: :lol:

"You Talking to me? " :wink:

Mate I just watched the 07 Supers Doopers Footage, sound off of course. PVC Tape over the mic next time ya rabit :roll:
Can't see any of you Kev's footage, i know it would of slowed him down for the first 5 minutes but maybe you want to lead out when the camera's are rolling.
I stand by my Record of a 25m Launch on a zx9r, get back to me when ya beat it. :P

Most probably because I was away rescueing some poof who piffed it at Kiandra!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

I may be slow, but at least I was there!!!! :wink:
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby Nanna10r » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:27 am

Way home footage mate ......... Hook line & Pyker.

It was'nt a PIFF it was a LAUNCH :).

Sorry for the Hi jack champ ..... "But HE started it Mum"

BTW go the Shinko Stealth 003's Mate. Confidence inspiring & even Marty can aford them. :wink:
"Nan & Pop Racing"
Poppy Hops on .... CBR150 (Superlite) CBR954 "Blade"
Nanna Naps on .... MoriWAKI NSR85 (Motolite) ZX10R "Crim"
We may ride like Old Can'ts, But Phuk we look DOOG !!!!!!
Nanna10r
Team Ninja

State: Queensland

Re: ZX9 Rubber

Postby Tenoq » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:26 pm

Ran Pilot Powers on my 2002 model (190). Outstanding, IMO. Excellent life and grip. Got 14,000km out of a rear with mixed use. But then I'm a lot gentler on tyres than most, for some reason - despite riding just as quick. ;)
Tenoq
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Re: ZX9 Rubber

Postby Trunks » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:39 pm

wow 14000 km's I run powers on my 2000 zx9 and I'm lucky to get 4500 klms out of my rear! But I do lots of track days and this gives them a hiding! but they are definatly the best tyre I have run :D
It's a speed thing if you have to ask, you wont understand
Trunks
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

State: Tasmania

Previous

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion